318 Build on the cheap

-

66 Dartman

Reaction score
I picked up a low mile 1970 318.727. 83/4 355 sure grip for the 66 Dart.
My plan is to do a low budget build, If the jugs measure out good i'll use the stock pistons, dingle ball the jugs and rering,I'll either use the 675's and do a port job like 1 wilds thread ( By the way great thread Justin, looking forward to more !!) or use a set of 302's, and a LD340 intake,
Now i'm trying to figure out a good cam choice Was thinking of the voodoo 268,Any thoughts or suggestions?? Oh i'll run a shif kit and a 3000 stall verter.
Thanks.:burnout:

If you're going that route, I'd really suggest some performance pistons. They are really the worst part of the 318s and that alone will add a ton of power and the ability to run a decent cam if you chose to later.
On the cam - I like either the XE262 or 60402 with the stock pistons, or the XE268 or 60403 with the pistons.

If you're going that route, I'd really suggest some performance pistons.

Love ya Moper, your a gem, but ya did miss the title, "318 Build on the cheap", even though I agree with ya.

66 Dartman Careful cam selection for this is key, and the car's weight and gear ratio are missing. Intended purpose as well.

Headers to be used?

I'm also going to guess your doing most of the work that is normally left to a machinist.

With the 302 or magnum heads, 9.5 compression is within reach. With no milling and the good .024" head gaskets you will have right at 9.0. Much higher than that without quench, and you'll have detonation trouble. 9:1 is plenty enough to make good power on pump gas. Just choose the right heads and you will be on your way, even with stock pistons.

That is true. 9.0-1 is good for a street engine and mild camshafts. You could still knock down a 12 sec. run if you so wanted to set up that way with a 9-1 engine.

Thanks for all the input guys, I dug into the teen today and found it was rebuilt with 30 over pistons and a cam i pulled some #'s off of, Anyone now what cam and slugs theses are??,The rebuild looks fresh i pulled the pan alsoand it has a double roller chain and is very clean looking also, I may just regasket it and run it, What ya'll think? Thanks again.
Rumble it's a 66 Dart and i'll be running 355's.

Attachments

• 100_0078.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 011.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 012.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,153
Call me dumb here but, that looks like a purple shaft from Mopar. I see the old coloring on it and have to wonder if it is?

LOL, can't call ya dumb. Your right. That is a Purple shaft. Can't see the numbers well though. L2373 is the slugs part number. I havetried searching for it on the web and I seem to suck at it. It looks like a stock flat top slug, no valve relief.

That slug reminds me of a stock slug minus the part numbers stamped in it. When I did my 318 build up, I just cleaned the top of the pistons. Same texture and rings and hle in the center. Just no part number.

I can not I.D. the cam other than it is a purple cam.

If you can figure out your exact comp. ratio, then a better cam (If possible) can be selected. To much cam on a low comp. ratio'd engine won't be the greatest thing off the line. You could probably get away wih the cam you mentioned.

I found out the slugs are forged TRW's, These are the #'s i could see on the bump stick L02 6D2 can't seem to find info with those #'s, I'll measure it today, I think i'll end up running the purple stick and slugs the way it is the piston's are very close to 0 deck.:burnout:

I picked up a low mile 1970 318.727. 83/4 355 sure grip for the 66 Dart.
My plan is to do a low budget build, If the jugs measure out good i'll use the stock pistons, dingle ball the jugs and rering,I'll either use the 675's and do a port job like 1 wilds thread ( By the way great thread Justin, looking forward to more !!) or use a set of 302's, and a LD340 intake,
Now i'm trying to figure out a good cam choice Was thinking of the voodoo 268,Any thoughts or suggestions?? Oh i'll run a shif kit and a 3000 stall verter.
Thanks.:burnout:

Thank you.

btw all the 318 heads have the same ports.fwiw

so if you want the closed chamber, go with the '66-'67 273/318 heads or the '87-88 302 heads, if not ...when it comes to flow..either or will do, cause they all 'open or closed chamber' flow the same...
the voodoo 268* is a great cam for the 318 or really any sb mopar that want to make power to 6k and yet still keep it mild'ish 'non radical'

i think a 2800 stall and 3.73/3.91 would be perfect for that cam/cid

the 650 carb would fit well as would the rpm/ld 340 given the port windows are opend up to a 360 intake gasket.

That lloks like a purple cam so it should be stamped on the end.VERY small numbers,with 20/20 I still had to use a flashlight and a pretty strong magnifying glass.

Bought theses today for the 318, New MP valve covers and gaskets for $90.00 did i do good??

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 935
  • 004.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 875
Nice score. You need to find a vented cap for one of the covers and a pcv valve and grommet for the other. You also need to install a baffle under the pcv so oil won't enter and get sucked into the carb. You can keep the oil fill cap if you wish, just open the other hole for the vent or pcv. Vent on one cover and pcv on the other. tmm

Attachments

• pic18 (Medium).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 893
Yea, good score. The baffle plates are cheap. MoPar has them.

Started to tear down the teen today, I have to go to the shop tomorrow to get my H/B puller to finish the tear down.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 798
  • 007.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 792
-
Back