318 Build

-

66 Dartman

Reaction score
Want to to the /6 small block swap got a line on a318 with 302 heads.
After crunching some #'s today with my brother (Automotive Machinist)
Here's what we came up with for the budget build!!!!
Change the exhaust valves to1.60's and use the stock1.78 intake Back cut the valves for better flow,port match and cut the bowels when said and done they should flow at180/190.And a surface grind and a skim off the deck to true things up.
The cam#'s .507/.510 with a 242/[email protected] stock pistons 750DP with a single plane should get me in the 400HP Plus!!
Should make the 66 scoot any thoughts.
Sorry i forgot to add the pistons are .025 tallerthis should bring the comp close to 10;1.

Sounds good Ed,your gonna like Scoot!LOLAre you changing out the torsion bars for thicker?Save me the 6 cyl ones.

Change the exhaust valves to1.60's and use the stock1.78 intake Back cut the valves for better flow,port match and cut the bowels when said and done they should flow at180/190.And a surface grind and a skim off the deck to true things up.
The cam#'s .507/.510 with a 242/[email protected] stock pistons 750DP with a single plane should get me in the 400HP Plus!!
Should make the 66 scoot any thoughts

Sure it will !!!!!http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html

IMO, since your allready there, make the move to a 1.88 intake valve.

I'm assuming KB167 pistons with the block cut to zero deck. This should get you into the high 9's compression wise, which is what you'll want with that cam. I also would suggest the 1.88 intake valves (2.02's are more hassle then they'd be worth with those heads).

That's a pretty stout cam for a street 318, should be fun. Just make sure to include the converter, gears and especially exhaust to your shopping list.

IMO, since your allready there, make the move to a 1.88 intake valve.
I agree, with 1.78's you have a bit too much cam and carb. Even with 1.88's you'll need more than 9.5:1 C.R and some gears to make that setup work good. Naturally a port matched intake and headers are a must.

Should make the 66 scoot any thoughts

Good luck,but 400 h.p. from that build not even close...

65 cc head
.039 X 4.1 head gasket
zero deck piston w/5cc valve reliefs equal a 9.31 ratio.

The little domed KB's would be what he's after for this I think unless theres a head milling involved with the flat tops.

At 9.3-1 it is a little light on the CR, but doable.
Lots-o-verter & gear!

What kind of single plane intake are you thinking of using?

With the numbers that Fish and the Chief have crunched, a dual plane may make for better response in the lower RPM band.:read2:

Will it be street, strip, or street-strip?

Yes Ed,an RPM AirGap(magnumm style)will work better on the street for you.(dual plain)Don,t get the chinese knock-off.:read2:

Yes Ed,an RPM AirGap(magnumm style)will work better on the street for you.(dual plain)Don,t get the chinese knock-off.:read2:
Yeah Scott i was thinking of dual plane and knocking the cam back a bit.
And a smaller carb this is supposed to be a street car build with some track time LOL.

-
Back