318 cam

-
This thread started out great. Way more informative than almost any other "318 cam" thread on the first 2 pages.
Unfortunately it has now degenerated into the same old thing of bashing, and "max performance" talk.

I just wish someone, anyone with more smarts than me could be bothered to take a look at the dozens of cams available in the "one step" or two steps" up category, IE doesn't need a converter or headers or final drive gear numerically higher than say 3.23 and compare them and explain what qualities make them different and how those qualities affect what the results might be like.

I've seen that done with high lift, high duration cams (OK, maybe medium in the 480 to a bit over .500 range) for both big block and small blocks, so I know the knowledge is present here.

However, that request is usually met with "who has time for that?" type responses.
I totally understand why the OP hasn't returned. Those of us who've given good answers have basically wasted our time because of thoughtless members who insist on running everything down people other than themselves want to do. Then there are those who insist on recommending other things besides what he asked about. He asked about one specific camshaft. Can he use it in a 318? Of course he can. Who here has never over cammed a motor? I'll wait for the lies.

Do you or have you built engines? Airflow makes horse power. It does not matter what size the ports are. 318s are plenty strong enough.

Sure he has.... he is a retired "master mechanic" remember? :rolleyes:
He seems to enjoy dumping crap on others for not running a 340 without sharing any of his own engine builds or cars. To get 275hp out of a 318 to match a 340 factory output is downright impossible without those extra 22CI..... :lol:
He would have a stroke if he new how much HP guys over here are pulling out of an NA 265CI 6cyl.

To the OP - I ran a comp XE250H in a stock 318 with an edelbrock performer manifold, 625cfm carter AFB & headers and got some good gains over stock, didn't loose any bottom end either (ran with 2.92 gears). A year or so later I swaped the heads for ported closed chamber 318 truck heads with comp 901 springs - picked up noticeably across the board and let it spin up another 500rpm or so. Was a good budget engine for a daily driver.

I'm a fairly new member and have to agree with YY1 about the bashing. The kid asked for help and some of you scared him away.

I think it's the OP's job to keep the thread on task, if you only post once or so you get what you get.

If the OP hasn't got his answer or wants other details/questions answered he needs to refocus the thread, I just assume he's got what he wants and the rest of the thread is fair game unless he post otherwise.

RustyRatRod answered in post#2

I think it's the OP's job to keep the thread on task, if you only post once or so you get what you get.

If the OP hasn't got his answer or wants other details/questions answered he needs to refocus the thread, I just assume he's got what he wants and the rest of the thread is fair game unless he post otherwise.

RustyRatRod answered in post#2
I agree. If he got "scared away" by my answer, then I don't know what else to do. It's like I said, we're not here to tell him "hell yeah, stab that thing in there with stock springs and all" and that seemed to be what he wanted to hear, especially reading his other thread. I'm not gonna recommend that kind of thing, because I want it to turn out right. As right as it can be on a budget. And sticking big cam in something with stock worn out springs and not checking anything else, is a recipe for disaster.

Yep, this is also a '69 318 stock original 9.2:1 cr 230 hp engine.

Added a 4 bbl only, hauls the mail big time.

727 Trans, 2.94 rear gears, and factory single exhaust > still has the pentastar stamped into the muffler . Torq Thrust Wheels > Equals less rotating mass to spin up.

Yep, Ma Mopar got it right.

20230124_110028.jpg

20200803_230827.jpg

Ney Sayers can sit in the back, eyes wide open and all...

☆☆☆☆☆

Yep, this is also a '69 318 stock original 9.2:1 cr 230 hp engine.

Added a 4 bbl only, hauls the mail big time.

727 Trans, 2.94 rear gears, and factory single exhaust > still has the pentastar stamped into the muffler . Torq Thrust Wheels > Equals less rotating mass to spin up.

Yep, Ma Mopar got it right.

View attachment 1716144080

View attachment 1716144081

Ney Sayers can sit in the back, eyes wide open and all...

☆☆☆☆☆
Yeah, but some on here, because it's a 318 will talk trash about it from now till Jesus comes. IMO they're not real Mopar people.

THat would be good until someone posts a Summit cam and someone else will down talk it and say how junk it is. Same with Comp except about the quality. (or lack of) (or not). THere is no win. I would just use baselines. No duration @.050 any larger than 225° It's interesting how the old grinds are heavy on the duration side and have a @.050 around 210° but have 280° advertised. One thing good about those types of cams is the max lift is relatively low and can use stock type springs (like Comp 901's) THey still make power at lower rpm. Take this one for example. and they have a couple that are steps up. This one would work fine with stock exhaust and converter. A 4 barrel would be a plus.
204°/214° 278°/288° .421/.444 112° 12-5000 rpm
DODGE Summit Racing SUM-6900 Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts | Summit Racing.
This may not help the OP, but the SUM-6900 cam and lifters is what I ended up using in my 74 318. Bone-stock low-compression bottom end with the cam, duals, and an 1406 Edelbrock on a Performer intake. I currently still have 2.76 gears and a stock convertor. I noticed no loss of low-end and the mid-range is much-improved. It still pulls 19" vacuum and sounds almost stock to me. I know there are better cam choices but, for the money, I am very happy. Crossing my fingers, it hasn't went flat yet after about 5000 miles. I think it will really run well when I get around to installing the 3.55-geared rearend.

THat would be good until someone posts a Summit cam and someone else will down talk it and say how junk it is. Same with Comp except about the quality. (or lack of) (or not). THere is no win. I would just use baselines. No duration @.050 any larger than 225° It's interesting how the old grinds are heavy on the duration side and have a @.050 around 210° but have 280° advertised. One thing good about those types of cams is the max lift is relatively low and can use stock type springs (like Comp 901's) THey still make power at lower rpm. Take this one for example. and they have a couple that are steps up. This one would work fine with stock exhaust and converter. A 4 barrel would be a plus.
That cam with a 109 or 110 LSA and higher ratio rockers, at least on the intake. Should perform fairly well. That cam is what has been called an RV cam. Might cost a bit more to get it ground on the tighter LSA. Good torque for street or in a truck. Ports should max about 0.500" so the higher ratio rockers will help keep it pulling as the revs come up.
Put a similar grind in a 1982 Chev 305. Was two cams up from the 350 cam i the Federal Mogul catalogue. Worked wonders. Fuel economy better by about 3MPG, reduced shift cycling with the 700R4, more vacuum and driveability was much better. Not quite like a 350, but considerably improved.

This may not help the OP, but the SUM-6900 cam and lifters is what I ended up using in my 74 318. Bone-stock low-compression bottom end with the cam, duals, and an 1406 Edelbrock on a Performer intake. I currently still have 2.76 gears and a stock convertor. I noticed no loss of low-end and the mid-range is much-improved. It still pulls 19" vacuum and sounds almost stock to me. I know there are better cam choices but, for the money, I am very happy. Crossing my fingers, it hasn't went flat yet after about 5000 miles. I think it will really run well when I get around to installing the 3.55-geared rearend.
There you have it. It doesn't need to be big or expensive to be good.

Yeah, but some on here, because it's a 318 will talk trash about it from now till Jesus comes. IMO they're not real Mopar people.

As stated in post #106, ney sayers can ride in the Back.

Just like when installing the rear brake shoes > "The Big Girls go in the Back".

Ma Mopar Approved.

☆☆☆☆☆

the problem with 318 build threads is to many people posting opinion thats never built a 318 or run one thats been built! thay preach on an on bout how it wont work, will be a dog, a pig and complete waste of time and money when it ant true! right parts combo will produce a good runner, maybe even a great runner! know my 318 was a screamer, moved a E body very well!

What would be great is if someone who understands the intricacies could look at that 6900 and compare it to say....the comp 250 and explain what the differences are and more importantly what they mean and why you might want one over the other in certain situations.

What would be great is if someone who understands the intricacies could look at that 6900 and compare it to say....the comp 250 and explain what the differences are and more importantly what they mean and why you might want one over the other in certain situations.
I'm no expert, but to me looks like similar cams and output wouldn't be to far off from each other, the xe250h has a tighter lsa and faster ramps so probably a better under the curve performance,, but I'd imagine the differences wouldn't be overly huge. I'd would go with xe250h mainly cause of the 110 lsa. There basically similar to a stock 340 cam.

Brand:
COMP Cams
Manufacturer's Part Number:
CL20-220-3
Part Type:
Camshaft Kits
Product Line:
COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits
Summit Racing Part Number:
CCA-CL20-220-3
UPC:
Cam Style:
Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range:
800-4,800
Camshaft Use:
Street/Strip
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Duration at 050 inch Lift:
206 int./212 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:
Advertised Exhaust Duration:
Advertised Duration:
250 int./260 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.432 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.444 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.432 int./0.444 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):
Grind Number:
XE250H

Brand:
Summit Racing
Manufacturer's Part Number:
SUM-6900
Part Type:
Camshafts
Product Line:
Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts
Summit Racing Part Number:
SUM-6900
UPC:
Cam Style:
Hydraulic flat tappet
Camshaft Use:
Street/Towing
Camshaft Manufacturers Description:
Smooth idle, excellent low-end torque/horsepower, towing, good fuel economy in stock engines. Good camshaft for turbocharging.
Basic Operating RPM Range:
1,200-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Duration at 050 inch Lift:
204 int./214 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:
Advertised Exhaust Duration:
Advertised Duration:
278 int./288 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.421 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.444 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.421 int./0.444 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):

GIB ^^^

The "Guy In Back" ^^^.

(backseat driver's license optional)

☆☆☆☆☆

For sharing my opinion I am guilty... what's my punishment? quotes, insults attempts at an argument? Sorry your silly games bore me...:lol:

Some of you here are real luddites...and Im more than glad to not know you.

Lud·dite
/ˈləˌdīt/
noun
plural noun: Luddites
  1. 1.
    DEROGATORY
    a person opposed to new technology or ways of working.
    "a small-minded Luddite resisting progress
You'll have to pick on each other I'm out I have more important things to do...I really don't care about you or your 318, and no one else does either...not anyone $erious anyway...:)

Last edited:
I can read all your deleted posts. You have earned a vacation. See you in a couple weeks.
But can you read my mind? But seriously this info on a 318LA or a 360 LA is giving me a path to a cheap V8 for my 66 Dart. I don't need more than 250-300hp to pull this light car. Right now the 225 does pretty good. Man i'm in a good mood. Started a new shift on my job. Get off at 1:30 in the afternoon. More time to buy car stuff and read and learn from this forum.

But can you read my mind? But seriously this info on a 318LA or a 360 LA is giving me a path to a cheap V8 for my 66 Dart. I don't need more than 250-300hp to pull this light car. Right now the 225 does pretty good. Man i'm in a good mood. Started a new shift on my job. Get off at 1:30 in the afternoon. More time to buy car stuff and read and learn from this forum.
A well thought out 318 build will make 325 fallin outta bed. That'll be fun in a 66 Dart.

-
Back