318 Harmonic Balancer Question

-

69 Beeper

Reaction score
I’ll try to keep this short

I acquired a 318 77 Trailduster, not running. It supposedly only needed an intake to run. Pretty much looked like the whole vehicle had been put together with spare parts.

Anyways, I bolted up an old 340 square flange intake and 4 bbl. It started but needed a timing gear and chain, so I replaced them. Afterwards it fired up and ran smooth. Seemed to idle and rev up just fine. But when I started going down the road, at about 13-15 mph, it started to vibrate, and would get worse the faster I went, at 30-35 mph, with my vision getting blurry, the vibration was so violent I could hardly hold the steering and about threw me out of the seat.

Once back at the garage, i found out the torque converter had the 360 weights on it, one on each side of the drain plug. I knocked these off and test drove. The vibration was much improved, smooth as glass to about 25 mph, but still started vibrating/shaking at 30 and would get progressively worse the faster I went. This time up to about 45-50 was about it. So I decided to go another direction.

A year later, I pulled the motor and installed it in a dart with a manual 3-speed. Resurfaced flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and a roller pilot bushing/bearing. I still have the same vibration that I had when it was in the Trailduster/727 auto combo. :(

I am to understand that ALL 318s are internally balanced. The only thing left to check is the harmonic balancer. I looked up examples of both the 318 and 360. The one on this engine looks pretty much like the 318 piece as I see no counter weights or off set dimensions anywhere. It does however have 6 shallow holes drilled on the front of it. I have never seen them like this on a small block mopar. The back looks like a normal factory 318 dampener with the uniformed hollowed out section all the way around it.

Any ideas? Appreciate any information, and sorry for the long post.

318HB.jpg

And internally balanced engine will have a balancer that is balanced, an externally balanced engine will have a balancer that is unbalanced to balance the engine.

Alan

What year casting is the block, what year are the internals (crankshaft), what year is the balancer? If everything is not matched i. e., externally balanced or internally balanced the engine will shake itself to pieces.

I’ll try to keep this short

I acquired a 318 77 Trailduster, not running. It supposedly only needed an intake to run. Pretty much looked like the whole vehicle had been put together with spare parts.

Anyways, I bolted up an old 340 square flange intake and 4 bbl. It started but needed a timing gear and chain, so I replaced them. Afterwards it fired up and ran smooth. Seemed to idle and rev up just fine. But when I started going down the road, at about 13-15 mph, it started to vibrate, and would get worse the faster I went, at 30-35 mph, with my vision getting blurry, the vibration was so violent I could hardly hold the steering and about threw me out of the seat.

Once back at the garage, i found out the torque converter had the 360 weights on it, one on each side of the drain plug. I knocked these off and test drove. The vibration was much improved, smooth as glass to about 25 mph, but still started vibrating/shaking at 30 and would get progressively worse the faster I went. This time up to about 45-50 was about it. So I decided to go another direction.

A year later, I pulled the motor and installed it in a dart with a manual 3-speed. Resurfaced flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and a roller pilot bushing/bearing. I still have the same vibration that I had when it was in the Trailduster/727 auto combo. :(

I am to understand that ALL 318s are internally balanced. The only thing left to check is the harmonic balancer. I looked up examples of both the 318 and 360. The one on this engine looks pretty much like the 318 piece as I see no counter weights or off set dimensions anywhere. It does however have 6 shallow holes drilled on the front of it. I have never seen them like this on a small block mopar. The back looks like a normal factory 318 dampener with the uniformed hollowed out section all the way around it.

Any ideas? Appreciate any information, and sorry for the long post.

View attachment 1715663384

I don't think I've ever seen an OEM balancer with holes that evenly drilled and that many. What's the front look like?

What year casting is the block, what year are the internals (crankshaft), what year is the balancer? If everything is not matched i. e., externally balanced or internally balanced the engine will shake itself to pieces.
Don’t anything about the crank or balancer. I believe I looked it up once, and for some reason I want to say the engine is a ‘78, but not positive.

I can try and look at the casting number if the headers and starter are not blocking it.

Look above the starter, there will be an 11 digit number separated by dashes. 7 numbers then 3, then 1. The 3 would be the CID of the engine and no, they really aren't blocked by the starter the numbers are higher than that. Might need a can of brake clean and a brunch or rag if the engine is greasey.

If it's an engine imbalance, you should be able to determine that just by revving the engine. You wouldn't need to drive down the road at any particular speed. If it's speed related and not RPM related, it's something else in the drivetrain.

Who knows what someone might have cobbled together in the last 40 years

-
Back