318 head porting for the average joe

-
I wouldn't put x heads on a 318.
That being said, xheads were the 1st set that I did a decent amount of DIY porting. That is on my 340.
Don't go crazy, be careful. X heads are notoriously good iron oem heads. Yes they can be made better with cleanup and porting.
Sorry to jump into an old thread but this is right around the question I’m trying to figure out. My 318 is running the larger valves 2.02 and 1.60. The heads were ported a bit by the previous owner. He states he “gasket matched” the heads and intake the best he could but isn’t a “pro”. I haven’t had the motor apart to closely inspect but it does seem snappier than I would have thought. My question is this after reading this thread I’m still not sure if I should go after a set of local 340X heads and start porting etc or is that not worth the squeeze with a set of worked 318s I have? Sorry if this is repetitive just learning here.

Check out Charles Servedio’s YouTube channel.

He did a bunch of work on some 302’s and a set of open chamber heads.
He has also done magnum heads.
Also W2 and X heads for fish.
Ain’t that right Bob?

He has also done magnum heads.
Also W2 and X heads for fish.
Ain’t that right Bob?

LOL! I guess that post has a for me???

Charlie did indeed grind on a Magnum & my “J” head for me to copy myself after I get my garage up and running. He also did do a set of race W2 heads. Flowed on a 4 inch bore plate to 323 cfm - IIRC.

Charlie is doing research and development on a 318 head for David Vizard’s “Mission Impossible” 318 project he took over from Uncle Tony. YouTube both of these names for further information on the project.

Off hand, I don’t know what the latest cfm topped out at or the flow curve to the 318 head. Do note the small valve size. Also on that note, I’m not sure what exact 318 head he has. It is an open chambered head.

Here is a link to one of Charlie’s videos. It’s a bit of a tech video. If your not into the tech side of porting and you just want to see some flow numbers of this head, fast forward some and you can see how the head flows at many points including cam lifts that 99.9% of you guys would never go.

Its all about optimum port flow for the job at hand.
If you are a grocery getter 318 then small ports are perfect.
If you are a 7000rpm screaming 318 (@+60)/340/360 then X-heads will be fine for you...

-
Back