318 missing what could it be

-

martin53

martin53
Reaction score
I have a 318 thas been sitting a while but one I got it running again it sounds great. I replaced the spark plugs plug wires points and condenser. Timed it to 10 using a light and I still have a miss plus when I drive it it has a delay when pressing the pedal. Could it have something to do with the timing chain. I'm stuck.

It ran great before you tuned it and now it doesn't run great after your tune.
I think you answered your own question.

You said you times it to 10. 10 what?!?! Before TDC or after? Where was it before you messed with it?

If your 318 is missing, I would start with asking the neighbors if they saw who took it....

It's hard to just pick one up and walk away without being noticed...

Ill check the accelerator pump. Timed tbc 10 it was around 12tbc. I meant to say it ran good after the tune up cause it had been sitting a while since I bought it.

If your 318 is missing, I would start with asking the neighbors if they saw who took it....

It's hard to just pick one up and walk away without being noticed...
I had a 360 that was missing for days, then after a long search I found out where it was missing when I looked under the hood of my truck....

Check the firing order again, since you got new wires. 18724365, if you mix up 3 and 5 it runs and drives with a miss. Don't ask how I know this, LOL.

Check the firing order again, since you got new wires. 18724365, if you mix up 3 and 5 it runs and drives with a miss. Don't ask how I know this, LOL.
18724365? are you serious with this firing order or making a joke?

My 360 after sitting for the winter developed what acted like a misfire at higher rims. In my situation it turned out to be the ECU box. Now I can smoke the tires all day long and no more popping and farting.

I checked the accelerator pump and it looks good my pluggs are in order and I don't have an ecu box I have points. Where do I go from here. Thanks for the help guys

I checked the accelerator pump and it looks good my pluggs are in order and I don't have an ecu box I have points. Where do I go from here. Thanks for the help guys

Have you checked the dwell on the distributor?

Double check the cap and wires to and wires at the plug to make sure that they are all on good with good contact...

What is your total timing between 2500 - 3000 RPM?

I don't have a compression tester or rpm gauge my points are gapped at 18 right now. Pluggs and wires seem to be connected good. I'll keep working at it.

For $100 you can go to Sears and get a compression tester, tach/dwell meter, and vacuum gauge that will help you tune it up...

So I was messing with the timing and when I timed it with the light I set it on 10 btc but when I took the distributor cap off and set it at tdc the mark on the damper is at 10 after is this normal. I still haven't had a chance to check the compression.

Take a socket and with the distributor cap off and rotor in place, rotate the engine clockwise until the timing mark is at the "10° BTDC" mark. Then, watch the distributor ignition rotor closely and rotate the engine counterclockwise very slowly while watching it. The second the rotor moves, stop turning the engine. Then look at the mark on the balancer. If the balancer moved more than 5° before the rotor moved you should look at the timing chain. I would also advise pulling the intake just for the sake of being able to look at the camshaft. You may have a worn lobe or two making the miss.

Or you can pretend it's a 289/302/352/ Ferd, rework the timing mark off number two, and then use 15426378

LMAO.gif

It could be several things. Wiring, worn out ignition parts, carb tuning, burnt valve, worn cam lobe, stretched timing chain, wobbly distributor shaft. Do a compression test. That will get you started.

I noticed my engine dies when pulling #3 spark plug wire. When I pull #1 it doesn't effect the engine at all.

-
Back