318 MRL Stroker

-
Some would say so
the large primary 440 ones were factory rated 850cfm. But the 1.5s were not far behind. I don't care which one I bolt on, or what I bolt it onto. It's the moan that does it for me,lol. Sweetest sound in the history of the world,lol.
And back in the day,NHRA rated 340s with TQs 15 hp higher than the AVSs they replaced, which IIRC were rated at 580cfm.
But just look at that big TQ. It looks mean just sitting on the shelf. It's calling, calling; "try me,I dare you". It's got BIG personality. And then when you set it on the intake, ATTITUDE. And then when it's sitting on the engine, it's melt-my-heart BEE-U-T-FUL! And then when you finally start her up and tickle the go-pedal, that's when she comes alive; HO-LEE...........

Sounds like you need some sexual therapy. Lol. All that moaning going on. I don't want to know what happens to you when the moaning starts.

IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
I bought the 340 six pack set-up

I got a good deal on this...

My concern is will it match up to the magnum heads or will I have to source a six pack magnum manifold ... hmmmm ?

Think I might install it on my LA motor that's in the car now just for sh!ts and giggles ... there's a big carshow for my local area and it will be a hit..

I ordered " just in case" a rebuild kit for the carbs and be cool to see what it feels and sounds like.

Just hope it will install on my MRL Stroker motor with no issues

Thanks for the input guys !!!

Oh yes, you have magnum heads...that won't bolt up. The heads can be re drilled to the "LA" bolt pattern tho

Last edited:
They do make a magnum 6-pack manifold...
A lot easier than pulling everything apart

No....magnum heads have a very limited intake manifold selection.....now if you have EQ heads with a LA intake pattern...you would be good to go...

Unless Indy has one of there base that that accept many different tops.

Modman Intakes?

http://www.indyheads.com/images/price.2015.12.pdf

appears there is one....$2140 dollars complete with carb and linkage.....

Ok I found 2 different sets of:
EQ heads with LA Intake pattern
1.920/1.624 Intake/exhaust valve size. 172cc/62cc intake/combustion and max .480 lift

Next set:
Monster magnum-STAINLESS 2.02 INTAKE VALVES AND STAINLESS 1.62 EXHAUST VALVES.
62cc
Max lift of .600

the MRL motor "I'm guessing" has close to the first set I posted.

As Mike said they were basic stock heads with very little done.
And low lift so I had a couple of cams to choose from and no reliefs cut in the pistons.

No, you have used stock rebuilt magnum heads, NOT EQs, so none of those LA style intakes will bolt on

Stock magnum heads CAN be re drilled, EQ heads are available with the LA pattern all ready done

Stock magnum heads CAN be re drilled, EQ heads are available with the LA pattern all ready done

I though you said I can not use EQ heads with LA pattern

The heads in the MRL motor are 1.92/1.62

There is a listing I saw for this:

318/360 CHRYSLER MAGNUM ASSEMBLED CYLINDER HEAD WITH EARLY L.A. BOLT PATTERN

1.920/1.624 Intake/exhaust valve size.

172cc/62cc intake/combustion

max lift on the springs used in this assembly is .480"

Chrysler 318 and 360 bare cylinder head built from a MAGNUM casting that has been drilled for a early intake manifold bolt pattern.

Would these work?

Thanks for all the help

Would all the valve train swap over they mentioned differences in the push rods ?

What I said is you can't bolt a factory six pack on a stock magnum heads. You CAN swap to the EQ heads if they have the LA pattern. All your valve train should swap over, but it would be advisable to have a quality shop put them together for you rather than just swapping all that at home.

What I said is you can't bolt a factory six pack on a stock magnum heads. You CAN swap to the EQ heads if they have the LA pattern. All your valve train should swap over, but it would be advisable to have a quality shop put them together for you rather than just swapping all that at home.

I wouldn't be doing the head swap alone, the guy I have is totally slammed and couldn't do it till late fall..

I'm just trying to learn about what fits what.

And not everyone is tuned into this thread, that's why I put it out in a separate thread about the 6-pack/Magnum swap.

No disrespect or trying to confuse anything. Just looking for input.

This is my first MOPAR .... it's not simpler like my Z28,Nova and Chevelle that I've owned yrs ago

I'm in my 50's and trying to be patient but it's not easy

I thank you as well as others for the info

6-Pacs are nice and all, but;
IMO, your engine wants a DP carb, or a TQ set-up
The DP will let you open the secondaries any time, instantly, to deliver all those 436 ftlbs to instantly to annihilate those 255s at any speed up to....say 50 mph, or more.
The TQ would be only slightly slower, but offers better response on the primaries, and the possibility of much better fuel-economy on the hiway.Unfortunately,tuning kits for it are NLA, so sometimes you have to get creative.
That 600 will be fine most of the time.
The 6-pac can be made to perform, but it's a lot of work. But they sure look nice.
That MRL engine will want a minimum of 700cfm; my 360 didn't wake up until I put a 750 on it. I'm pretty sure it could use still more.

Another thing is the manifolds under those carbs. Many tests have shown that the 6-pac manifold leaves a lot of power under the table.
And tests have shown the AG to be an excellent all round performer, and it does seem to keep the carb cooler. I have no issues with boiling fuel, on my 750DP/AG.
And I run no regulator on my P4007040 pump.
I too run a 3/8 line, but it is 1-piece from pump to dual-feed.
Contrary to convention, I run a large-canister EFI filter back at the tank, and the pump has no problem sucking thru it. BTW it's been on there since 99 and has over 125,000 miles on it; so Ima thinking of replacing it.

Oh yeah; that flywheel in post #33 does not look at all like mine; a 1971 360LA; the balance holes are all different.I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it looks wrong.

I'm going to have the local machine shop check out the flywheel, if it's not right I'm going to order the Centerforce 700470 flywheel I wanted in the first place and just wait for it.

-
Back