• 340 "modified" (more horses)

Votes: 38 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

lugnut1962

Banned
Reaction score
My 69 Cuda notchback is a factory 318 car. I do not have the original engin, and will not go the way of a big block. However, I do want some power. My question is do I rebuild the 318 with a "lil go" or look for a 340 to put in it?

Why would you negate the obvious choice, an engine which has been built for MANY more years and in MANY more vehicles than the 340 ever was??? 360, of course.

Why would you negate the obvious choice, an engine which has been built for MANY more years and in MANY more vehicles than the 340 ever was??? 360, of course.

I knew somebody would ask that. But it is a 318 car. So I thought to keep it as original as possible, or if I upgrade the motor, do it with something not as common. 360 is a great motor, but a 340 just seems so much more exoctic.

360 would be the cheapest and easy to find. 340 would be the coolest (they aren't exotic but it's still cool to say that you have a 340.) BUT they are harder to find and more expensive. 318 would be the easiest to find, they can be made to run hard and would be more "original."

So do what you want. lol

for the money of a 340
you could build a roller cam 318 5.2
that would stomp a stock 340 into the dirt

still the choice for max H.P. per cubic $$$ is 360 5.9

I voted 318 modified as that is what I am doing with my car

I knew somebody would ask that. But it is a 318 car. So I thought to keep it as original as possible, or if I upgrade the motor, do it with something not as common. 360 is a great motor, but a 340 just seems so much more exoctic.

Oh brother. Want to keep it original but may go 340. Pssst. A 318, 340 and 360 all look the same ya know. And there is nothing exotic about a 340.

As far as what motor to go with it all depends how much "power" you want. I say 318 or 360. Leave the 340 for the resto guys.

Oh brother. Want to keep it original but may go 340. Pssst. A 318, 340 and 360 all look the same ya know. And there is nothing exotic about a 340.

As far as what motor to go with it all depends how much "power" you want. I say 318 or 360. Leave the 340 for the resto guys.

Well said. 90% of the pubic look in there and can't tell the difference, and if you're trying to keep it original, then putting ANYTHING in there except the stocker --well-- ain't.

it depends how much you can afford if your budjets tight ide go with a budget build 360 if youve got extra cash too burn go with a built 340 ide leave the 318 out of the picture. its not going to be a numbers matching car anyway and just by glancing under the hood 99% of people cant tell if its a 318 340 360 or even a 273 for that matter.

I don't know guy's-but I saw what I thought was a 318 but the owner said it was a 408,it was orange too

Wait....save 340's for the resto guys? I beat the hell out of mine. hahaha!

For the year and faith I like a 318,, and or a 360.... If I had a 69 barracuda being built and had a 340 I would put it in for sure, But if you have got to buy one let some one ells spend the money on a 340 to build if you would like to spend money some where ells on your car Just me..

When I cracked the wall on my 340 I was really wishing I would have left the 340 for someone that thought they needed a 340. A trip to the machine shop and a $400.00 bill left me wondering how many spare 318 blocks I could have had on hand.

Cheapest and easiest is to go with what you have. It's a no brainer.

Unless you can get a 340 for real cheap, forget it. You get more power for your money by building a 360. The buy in price is cheaper leaving you more funds for other goodies to put into your engine.

Nothing wrong with a modded 318 either. We have really good performance parts these days. You can make any Mopar LA engine a strong performer.

If your gonna change the engine I'd go with a 360 no question about it. Or keep what you've got and build-up that 318.

How bout a Gen 3 Hemi? These things can make LOTS of power plus they're EFI.

The question is what do you want to do with the car? .....just a cruiser? weekends at the track?

If it's just a cruiser I'd build a 318 with the early higher compression pistons, stock heads, and a factory 4 speed 340 cam. eddy performer intake and a carter AVS.

-
Back