318 questions...

-
ok, after reading the whole deal "from the top"...lol.
If the ridge up top can be felt, it will catch a nail, but, I've run some "worn" engines with .010" high ridges on top. Just dont install new rings, and you're fine..lol. (new rings are square on the corners, old rings are not, so the new rings will hit and break over a short time if run on an existing ridge....)
On the head gaskets, factory is a thick .043 or so composite gasket. MP makes a thinner version, that IIRC is about .028" compressed. I use these in all my builds using iron heads. That Comp High Energy 268 is a great cam, even in low compression 318s. I ran one in with X heads and a T quad intake after demolishing a piston in the 340 I had. There was a small difference in off idle first gear, but not much. (car was a 4sp w/3.23s) Sounds like a nice package, but you will need the right springs, and I'd toss in some new valve seals. I wouldnt touch the ports at all. Without a real good valve job, you're not gaining much anyway. As far as the valves "beign chipped"..I think if you cleaned them thoroughly, you'd find they are made that way. The margine between the stem and the taper leading to the tip gets covered in soot and gunk. Dont sweat it.

well, just to give an update...she sounds mean. I got running yesterday and tuned it all in today. I would have rolled around the block but it a little loud with open hedders. I plan to drop it off at the exhaust shop on tuesday, and then starts the break-in time.

I plan to run it for a few hundred before I run it at the track but I will post up some numbers when I get there.

thanks for all the help!

Good deal D. Glad to hear your up and running again. Now mines down. Just got a fantastic offer for a 340 today though so I may go with it instead of rebuilding the 360.

man, if I could find a 340 I would go with that...I know the 360 is more cubes but it just has the cool factor. :thumbup:

I remember a friend of mine saying that the 340 can be made into a stronger motor then the 360 also.

I am suprised your 7 1/4 is holding up.... Hey if you want for now, 'til you get the 9", I have a 3.55 gear set for the 7 1/4 for you car. Slap them in and see if 3.55 gears are the way to go. If so, then you know what gears to put in that future 9".....

Man I got lucky tonight. Drug home a 68 340 block and forged crank and rods in mint condition. Lots of little extras too. All for $250. Only had to drive 10 miles to get it too.:toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

fishy68 said:
Man I got lucky tonight. Drug home a 68 340 block and forged crank and rods in mint condition. Lots of little extras too. All for $250. Only had to drive 10 miles to get it too.:toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

Killer deal, nice work :wav:

fishy68 said:

:batman: Were you wearing a mask,when you stole that?

Yeah that was luck. Apparently he was hurtin for money. He started out at 475 and I didn't have that and every day he kept calling me with a lower offer. Maybe I should've waited another day huh?? Nah. I hate to rob somebody.

fishy68 said:
Yeah that was luck. Apparently he was hurtin for money. He started out at 475 and I didn't have that and every day he kept calling me with a lower offer. Maybe I should've waited another day huh?? Nah. I hate to rob somebody.

Man Fishy,475 was almost like free !! Sure you didn't have a mask?

well, I got the exhaust on it yesterday and finished tuning everything in...WOW what a difference from before. I realy need more gear now. the 2.73 is sucking all my power...so I guess it is on to the rear. thanks for all the help again guy's!

Sounds like your making some good progress D. Gears will make a world of difference too. I know cause I've been there, done that. Long time ago when I was a kid I had a Chevelle with a 327 (don't boo and hiss me, it was cheap) and it had 2.76 gears. Swapped to 3.31's and you'd swore I put in a big block it ran so much better.

I plan to go to a 3.50. the 9" I have needs some love though. the carrier needs new clutches and a new spring, and I need to find another center housing. preferably a "N" or a "C7AW" case. I also need to purchase gears. I got a 3.00 but I don't know that it will be enough...I guess I could run it for now...

I got a buddy that has some stuff laying around so I am going to try to get a hold of him this week.

-
Back