318 stroker oil leak :(

-
I just talked to my nephew, his oil leak was out the back of the intake. I think he was scratching his head for a a week or so till he found it.

Hmmmmm what is this? It doesnt seem to look healthy.

Attachments

• 100_2291.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 274
Cam plug in backwards, let me get a pic of mine and you'll see the problem. The first is of my new 360 and the second is from a 1970 318 that is factory original. It's my small parts motor. I made that mistake on a 70 340 years ago. I had the same problem you have and pulled the trans to fix it. It sucks laying on your back trying to get the old one out and a new one in. I think the cam bangs against the cup and lets it leak oil.

That cap may not be the leak but it is installed backward.
Good eye Robbie

mullinax95 that blurry shot is the corner of the oil pan looks like the rubber end seal is twisted and buggered up :( guess i was in too much of a hurry and didn't take time cuz i thought it should be easy and look what that got me lol

robbie thanks for the tip I'm just a backyard wrencher and had my machine shop do the short block up for me. Do you guys think i should address the ca, plug while the motors out? I read another thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178887
and his plug is same part number and facing as mine so not sure if its worth it to do, plus i never done a cam plug so i might make my prob worse lol was gunna run a bead of rtv around the plug just to be safe

oil pans all resealed and gunna try to drop it back in the car this eve or tomorrow

looks like the ears on the rear main seal were protruding past the rear main and stickin into the oil pan mating surface on rr corner, i tried installing the pan and it was pushin the gasket/seal out again so my trusty razor blade came out and now everythin looks good lol maybe lil excessive rtv but i'll clean that up and let everything sit at least a day before firing it up.

i didn't pull the rear main as everything looked dry around it, if i have to pull the motor again and fix i'll be the first to say you guys tole me so haha

If you have the priming tool, pull your distributor and pump drive and spin that pump. It might save a lot of work.

yup thats def on my checklist before it drops backin, pretty sure it was the pan gasket though. Poured oil out from there wen i tilted the block back, hole was prob 1/4" wide X 3/4" long, so i think it was puking outta there gettin thrown around by the flex plate soaking everything and dripping down off the block corners onto the exhaust

Another note - Silicone will only stop a leak if the gasket is intact and there is no grease or oil on any surface, including oils from your skin. If it's all gooping out like that but there's oil residue anywhere, the gasket will slide out over time and leak...

yup thats def on my checklist before it drops backin, pretty sure it was the pan gasket though. Poured oil out from there wen i tilted the block back, hole was prob 1/4" wide X 3/4" long, so i think it was puking outta there gettin thrown around by the flex plate soaking everything and dripping down off the block corners onto the exhaust
Yep, that will make her leak. I think you've found the problem.

Another note - Silicone will only stop a leak if the gasket is intact and there is no grease or oil on any surface, including oils from your skin. If it's all gooping out like that but there's oil residue anywhere, the gasket will slide out over time and leak...

I use fresh paper towels and Brake Parts Cleaner to wipe those surfaces down. RTV also makes the gasket slip.

Run that oil pump with a drill before you drop it back in and check all those plugs on the back of that engine.

ok almost took a month but a few finacial set backs and hurdles with my engine install and it's all in and running :burnout: with no oil leaks and steady 50psi oil pressure at idle

fighting a few probs with timing and carb tune up but i will start a new thread for that, just wanted to update this and say thanks again to all who helped and shared their battel stories lol

-
Back