318 to 360

-
Sweet, thats just the info I was looking for. It looks like I'll just be using the originally 360 heads though. I don't think I'm capable of doing that conversion without messing something up.

Cole, all god advice above, but...
If you are new to all this, why not go for an easy first build?
I chucked my 318 and fitted a mild 360 with lightly ported LA heads, 340 manifolds TTI exhaust, XE262 cam, 'bout 9 points of compression (should have fitted those KB107s...), external balance TCI flex plate. Runs low 14s on 3,23s and street tyres with column shift. Nice and easy to run and build in the first place.

That was my plan Tim. I didn't know the magnum head swap was that much of a pain. I don't wanna just drop the 360 in though. Would like to rebuild it with some goodies. I could live with 13's at the track, although I might have a chance at a 3.91 8 3/4 rear end, or was it 8 1/4. I can't remember offhand. We'll see how it all goes. Probably will throw those pistons in, with an airgap manifold and some headers. Throw a new rear end in and call it a day.

That was my plan Tim. I didn't know the magnum head swap was that much of a pain. I don't wanna just drop the 360 in though. Would like to rebuild it with some goodies. I could live with 13's at the track, although I might have a chance at a 3.91 8 3/4 rear end, or was it 8 1/4. I can't remember offhand. We'll see how it all goes. Probably will throw those pistons in, with an airgap manifold and some headers. Throw a new rear end in and call it a day.

Don't give up on the 308's. They aren't like the new Magnums. They are found on 88-92 "premagnum" 360s.

With regards to a 318 I dont think you'll see much difference between the 308 and the regular 360 la head. 308 head still has an open combustion chamber like the regular la. Only real difference is the exhaust port is much better but still not as good as the magnum.

Just go for a regular smog era 360 head. Dont even bother porting it,the teen cant use that much port. You will need to get the compression back up as the chamber cc is around 73-75. Keith Black 167 hyperuetectic pistons will fix that.

Thats kinda why I would go for the magnum. It brings the compression up to about 9.5:1 with the .028 head gasket without changing pistons.Does not need porting to make good power.

302 head will need lots of porting to be the magnums equal. $$$

308 head breaths better than the regular 360 la head,but the teen dont need that much breathing anyways. Will drop your compression unless you swap pistons.$$$ again

360 la head will lower comp as well. Any la 360 head will have a large ccc combustion chamber including the 308 casting.

So if I got some 308 heads those keith blacks would get the compression back up to around 9.5 or 10:1? Those 308's would just basically bolt right on too wouldn't they?

-
Back