-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the day finally came and the little engine ran pretty good but still have alot of tuning to do. The chassis that I put the engine in was setup for a big block and for the tq. and power of that engine. So the first run the engine bogged really bad from the tires hooking so hard, it virtually didn't over come it for the first 100 ft. or so. The first pass it went 7.60 with a 1.70 60 ft. time so it was hooking too hard, then I made some chassis adjustments and this helped but I can only change one thing at a time or you get lost in what worked and what doesn't. I figured that I would get 5 or 6 time runs but only had 3 and they went racing. The second run after the changes the 60 ft. time came down to 1.66 and the ET was a 7.54, still hooking too hard but better as the engine was now recovering about 60-80 feet out. So next I de-jetted the carb and found that what I had done to the intake made so much more velocity that the engine was too rich on fuel. This helped the 60 ft. times come down some more as it ran a 1.64 60 ft. time. At this point I ran out of time for adjustments and went in racing it as it was. All that I could hope for was that the car/engine would do the same thing each and every time.

Also too I had a new transmission in the car with a different trans-brake so between the engine, chassis, and the transmission I had a busy day trying to figure out the whole car. From the other car that I had the engine in it was down about 60 hp in this car, so it will get down to the low, low 7.0's or faster when I get it totally sorted out. But this hopefully will be in the next few weeks depending on the weather.

I have a good idea on what I have to do to help the situation out and these adjustments will be done before I go back. Then I still have a new intake manifold to try when I get the rest figured out. As the intake thats on the engine now is a old torker 340 which isn't the best of manifolds as there's so many better intakes out there and I have the new M-1 here but need to get the engine and car sorted before a major change is made. Just getting the 60 hp back that the engine is down on will make a major improvement and from what I can see it's loseing it in the chassis.

Update:
After re jetting the carb and checking the converter to make sure that the sprag wasn't bad, and rechecking the settings I found the 60 and maybe more HP that the engine was down. The timing was very, very low. I believe that this was a major contributor along with other things that I found. So back to the track this weekend, also reset the chassis back to where it was as I can use this as a baseline. No more bog or hesitation in the engine and now it's trying to rip the tires off the rearend. Very much improved. But some would be happy with running 7.50's in the 1/8 with a 318, which equals mid 11's 1/4 mile. But I want 10's in the 1/4 and 6.99 or better in the 1/8. So we'll see what happens this weekend.

keep up the posts Bobby! I would still really like to hear the combo running with a little better sound quality..Maybe several feet away. thxs

The weather didn't cooperate so I still haven't run with the new adjustments being done. The track will be open in the next week or two so I should be able to get some times then if money holds out.

Well I finally was able to go to the track and I put it on pump gas and the car ran a 7.413 @ 97.688 MPH on 87 octane gas with a 1.622 60 ft. time. Later on I'll put it back on the good stuff and run it again. I'll be looking for mid 7.20's at about 99 or 100 MPH.

Well I finally was able to run again, this time on the good stuff. The 60 ft. time was 1.599 but I lifted just before the 300 foot mark as I already had caught my opponet and road along with him and the car ran a 7.384 @ 97.627 my race track computer showed that if I had stayed in the throttle that the car would have run a 7.286 @ 99.34 mph with this kind of air. 80* 57% humidity 30.75 baro. elevation of 1989 ft. with a 1.051 HP correction and a air dens. of 94.3 and vapor pressure of .588. This would be a peak HP of 498 @ 6,000 rpm's and peak Tq. at 4,500 rpms at 469 ft. lbs. This averages out to be 409 ft. lbs. and 401 hp less the air correction factoring to the tires. Not to bad for a warm spring day.

Wow! Those are some impressive numbers! Suonds like on hot little 318 you havethere. BTW - earlier in the thread you said it would be for sale. How much would something like this cost either as a complete "crate engine" or with rebuilding someone's supplied block?

$4,000.00 Intake to pan, you hear it run and take it with you a hour later. I'll take the hedders, motor plate and the carb off and the distributor out and the rest is yours.
To do one would be more by about $1,000.00 but I have 3 more engines to try and this one will be on the stand for who knows how long.

OK,
I now have a NEW best for the little engine as of yesterday, the new best is 7.329 @ 99.742 mph in the 1/8, in this air 91* 42% Humidity, 30.89 Baro. corrected elevation 2544 ft. above. HP correction of 1.061, vapor pressure of .616 and air dens. at 92.8. It will go faster as the engine still isn't settled down yet. Hopefully it will go over 100 mph in the 1/8 next time out.

Well I took the engine out of the Dart and put it in the 71 Duster of my buddy's and this happend last weekend, but we went racing today and with some difficulties with the carb that he had off another engine, we straightened it out. And well the results are we went to the final round and WON with a different driver and a different car on the first day.

The one and only reason that I pulled the engine out of my car was to get the 349 engine in and running, so now I'm looking at about 2 weeks which should be enough time to get the heads finished and get the engine in and running. Then it's getting it set up for Super Street competition at Commerce and at Silver Dollar in Reynolds, Ga.. So if everything go's as planned and I have the time this will happen and I'll have some time slips to go with it.

Oh here's the time that the 322 engine ran in a 3,330 lbs duster 7.568 @ 97.71 1/8 mile, 88-90 degrees and 70% humidity and the baro was 30.68. Actual track elev. is 780 but as of now I haven't ran the numbers through the computer for the actual elevation or the HP correction. But I'll have it tomorrow.

Well, the little engine surprised me once again, I actually think the engine is just getting broke in good. As we went racing last night and in Charlies Duster the little engine ran 7.41 @ 97.73 mph. The air was a bit cooler but the humidity was up, I didn't have my guages with me so I can't give you any specs.. But @ 3,330 lbs this shows the engine to make 392 HP to the tires and 498 HP with the air correction. Oh and the money was good too as he got down to 4 cars on a $1,000.00 payout in the foot brake class.

Nice! Nothing like putting a few green backs into the wallet.

Well after we unloaded the truck I took a look at the plugs and we are still lean on fuel, so next Friday we'll go and give it another try but with a different tuneup. I really believe that we'll get over 400 HP to the tires this weekend, but we'll have to wait and see what the weather gives us. If we get the engine to do this it will be in the low 7.30's, this will be nice.

Those numbers are awesome, that same type of build in my 64 Valiant would make it flat scoot..........

The nice thing is that it's a simple little build, thats reliable and fast. And it can run on pump gas too.

Still dreaming of building a street version of this...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back