330 hemi?

-

no1newb

Reaction score
I wasnt sure if anyone knew anything about these, but there is a 330 desoto hemi 1956 for 400$ near me and i wasnt sure if it would be worth looking into. also, i didnt know where to put this either, since its old, i thought id put it in the early section. i was curious if it would work in a abody drive train or rough mpg estimate or anything like that, i couldnt find much about them so i thought id ask here.

Too wide for early-a engine compartments. That's why Chrysler came out with the LA-block, starting with the 273 in '64 and the LA 318 in '67.

That is a rare engine, if it runs well, maybe someone here can tell you if they are sought-after.

A 330 DeSoto Hemi would be very desirable for 2 kinds of people; someone who is restoring a DeSoto and hot rod guys. The old hot rod guys (like those over on the HAMB) would eat that thing up. If it is complete and turns over, I would say $400 is about right.

it also says he will throw in the transmission in for another 100, but im guessing that wouldnt be worth anything more than its weight in metal.

I have a 57 Dodge 4d, I had a smaller 56 Desoto HEMI I bought (non-running and dissassembled for about 500$) prior to the $$ crunch to put in it. I bought a ratty 4bbl vintage intake w/carb for 200, and sold the whole thing a year later for 1k. For the right rat rodder, they will be worth gold. I never put the motor together mind you, but they are worth quite a bit....

bryan

Too wide for early-a engine compartments. That's why Chrysler came out with the LA-block, starting with the 273 in '64 and the LA 318 in '67.

That is a rare engine, if it runs well, maybe someone here can tell you if they are sought-after.

Don't say that. LOL There's a member who has an early Hemi in like a 65 Valiant I think it is. It's red. Another interesting tidbit about the early Hemis is that they are considered to be a "true" Hemi engine, while the 426 version is said to be only a "semi" Hemi. It has long been said that the early Hemis were more efficient. Certainly not necessarily more powerful because of cubes alone with the 426, it would win hands down, but the early Hemi heads are supposed to flow much more efficiently.

Here it is: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=216459&postcount=66

They're great engines, but I don't think I'd pursue it for an A-body swap.

The block itself isn't that different from a poly 318 block. In fact, dimensionally they aren't really any bigger than an LA block. The heads, on the other hand, are A LOT wider. Not to say it isn't possible, but also keep in mind those are seriously heavy engines. The power to weight relationship is better on the later engines.

I have a 291 DeSoto waiting for a hot rod project, similar engine but with a shorter deck height. They're getting pretty popular with hot rodder's, as hemi's of any kind have a decent following, and as they get harder to find and more expensive even the early engines are being used quite a bit.

If it's not stuck, its a good price for a core.

be sure to get the id numbers off the block to be sure it is a 330 hemi

Parts are harder to find for those babies because most people do parts for the 331 354 392. But there are parts out there.

Not the cheapest engines to rebuild, but in my opinion WORTH IT!
You may have to find a new project to put the hemi in :)

those early hemi swaps have been done i early a bodies more than once. if thats what you want go for it. parts aren't that hard to aquire and they'll fit easier than a 440. the people with the negatives usually have something to say with out really knowing. like mentioned hothemiheads.com is a good source you can find things on craiglist all the time for these things i know you can use a 340/360 distributer in them and camshafts are out there from all manufacturers. wilcap for one has made adapters for the torqueflite since the seventies. people are negative because its not what everyone else is doing. if its what you want go for it don't be shut down by someone else

I wasnt sure if anyone knew anything about these, but there is a 330 desoto hemi 1956 for 400$ near me and i wasnt sure if it would be worth looking into. also, i didnt know where to put this either, since its old, i thought id put it in the early section. i was curious if it would work in a abody drive train or rough mpg estimate or anything like that, i couldnt find much about them so i thought id ask here.

Desoto was not a preferred engine because of the heads, water jackets were too restrictive. most guys trade out for dodge or chrysler heads. the 330 is very doable but as stated before very heavy. I wouldn't consider it if you like long cruises but for show and go and the navelty if thats what youwant go for it. PRACTICAL no but nothing in this hobby is. Expect to shell out some cash. It will be about twice the amount of a standard build. There is alot of info on the net for old Hemis. Just look up old hemis. Bob Walker at Hot Heads is a great help. I bought Tex Smiths book on old hemis. There is a site called The Hemi. com. If you deside to build find someone that has been around them for awhile.
This is my 354 punch out to a 371 in my 68 Dart before started redoing the car. theres alot of support out there don't be afraid to ask questions and dare to be different. Good luck

Attachments

• Dart001.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 922
  • Dart007.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 905
  • Dart008.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 904
  • Dart004.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 919
Unless you just want to pay for the look of that engine, I'd forget it and build a good stroker small block. The stroker would have the advantage in weight, power, price, and ease of getting parts. The hemi just looks cool. Your choice.

My 354 is striped down to about the wt of a 440. I'm only at a40 over and I'm told I can go out to 80. you can't do that with thin walls. no mistake heavy or not this thing will get up and dance.

Not trying to be a jackass but I thought the progression was 331, 354, 392 on the older hemis

Not trying to be a jackass but I thought the progression was 331, 354, 392 on the older hemis

You left out a few. Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler all made DIFFERENT hemis. Dodge made a "little 'un" called a "Red Ram" that was only 241 and two more of Dodge's were 315, 325

Chrysler was 331, Desoto was 330, 341

"Hemi" history is complicated. It ain't all Chrysler

Unless you just want to pay for the look of that engine, I'd forget it and build a good stroker small block. The stroker would have the advantage in weight, power, price, and ease of getting parts. The hemi just looks cool. Your choice.

I take it you've never seen a set of early Hemi heads. Is it heavy? Yes. is it expensive? Yes. As for power, the Early Hemi is THE one engine that NHRA bans because if it is allowed to run it will come out on top...

You left out a few. Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler all made DIFFERENT hemis. Dodge made a "little 'un" called a "Red Ram" that was only 241 and two more of Dodge's were 315, 325

you missed two chrysler had 331 354 and 392

again it's your build make yourself happy.you can retrofit the smallblock motor mounts to the early hemi block. and the builds are not as expensive as the unimformed want you to believe.build it and relish the pride and satisfaction. get your much deserved praise and admiration from others.!! don't build it and be become everyone else

i know you can use a 340/360 distributer in them and camshafts are out there from all manufacturers. wilcap for one has made adapters for the torqueflite since the seventies. people are negative because its not what everyone else is doing. if its what you want go for it don't be shut down by someone else

A 318/340/360 distributor will not just drop into a 330 DeSoto, the shaft isn't the right length. Hot heads does make an adaptor. All of the early hemi's can use an LA distributor with shaft length adapters, except the 241/270 dodge, it's actually a direct fit for those. All the early hemi's have the same bell housing bolt pattern for transmissions except for the '51-'54 long bell Chrysler 331's. The rest can all use the same adapters.

As far as negative, I'm not trying to be. I love old Hemi's, I actually own 4. Two Chrysler 331's, a 291 DeSoto, and a 315 Dodge. But, they have drawbacks too. They're seriously heavy, and pretty expensive to build. They can be built on the cheap if you're not looking for a lot of power (most had a stock compression ratio around 7:1), but even then they will cost more to build than a small or big block. As a showpiece they're beautiful, but as someone mentioned, it's easier and cheaper to build a small block stroker. You'd probably make more HP, and be lighter. But, nothing sounds or looks like a Hemi. One of mine is going in a '37 dodge truck, another one may end up in one of my '53 dodge trucks. And of course some extra's just in case :D .

I personally think they're better suited for hot rods, you can run sans hood sides (or minus hood entirely). Plus it seems a little strange to me to put a '50's engine in a late 60's or early 70's car. I also like my muscle cars to handle better than they would with a big chunk of Hemi up front. But that's just me. I also think the projects already posted here are awesome!

Still missed a few...

Dodge had a 241, 270, 315, and a 325

Chrysler had the 331, 354, 392

DeSoto had a 276, 291, 330, 341, and 345

And there were a few different "poly" blocks with varying displacements that can be converted with a head swap. The Chrysler 301 was one, there were a couple others with displacements not already listed.

-
Back