331 hemi

-

dodgedifferent2

Reaction score
Years ago I had two 354 Hemis and sold them too fund life.
The intent was to put that into a hot rod. Which I am currently working on a 1931 mode A coupe and planned to use a 401 nailhead.

I was helping to clean out a garage for a family and disposing of scrap metal (collect for charity)
Under the bench was a motor they needed out but could not move it. I went to look and fell on my arse. Under the bench I found a hemi. Knowing it was an early 50s style because of the extended bellhousing.
Being the honest person, I told them what it was and that I could not scrap it, but I would buy it from them.
We agreed on a price and I hauled it away.
20230904_153352.jpg

1951 331 hemi with extended bellhousing. I found a 46rh (518) trans to adapt to the hemi.
Contacted the inlaws who play with alot of semi trucks to find a 671 blower off a detroit diesel. Couple days later the father in law finds one for the 331 hemi. Just have to rebuild it. (Possible Future tech article)

Now to find a blower manifold. :-D

The intent was to put that into a hot rod. Which I am currently working on a 1931 mode A coupe and planned to use a 401 nailhead.

I was helping to clean out a garage for a family and disposing of scrap metal (collect for charity)
Under the bench was a motor they needed out but could not move it. I went to look and fell on my arse. Under the bench I found a hemi. Knowing it was an early 50s style because of the extended bellhousing.
Being the honest person, I told them what it was and that I could not scrap it, but I would buy it from them.
View attachment 1716141640

1951 331 hemi with extended bellhousing. I found a 46rh (518) trans to adapt to the hemi.
Contacted the inlaws who play with alot of semi trucks to find a 671 blower off a detroit diesel. Couple days later the father in law finds one for the 331 hemi. Just have to rebuild it. (Possible Future tech article)

That is awesome :) Are the 354 and 331 same other than bore/stroke? I don't know **** all bout early hemis

My question is, why in 'ELL did Ma ever think that stupid extension was a great idea

View attachment 1716141640

what did you do to get a trans. on that ext. bell housing ??

They have the crappiest heads of any of the early Hemis. Get some 354 heads. They flow tons better.

They have the crappiest heads of any of the early Hemis. Get some 354 heads. They flow tons better.
I have been on the hunt for heads with the water crossover and a blower manifold. If I don't find heads I will use what I have. Not going for extreme power more of an image thing.

I have been on the hunt for heads with the water crossover and a blower manifold. If I don't find heads I will use what I have. Not going for extreme power more of an image thing.
The water cross over is on the 392 heads. Don't use those. They lengthened the ports to fit the intakes and as a result, the 392 heads have a terrible bend in them. The 354 heads are the best. They call the casting "555" or "triple nickel" casting, because there are three 5s in the casting number, although the 5s are not in a row. Also, the truck heads like I have are equal to the 555 castings. I put 392 valves in mine. It's a shame though, I'll never finish the project.

I have not done it yet but wilcap makes the adapter. Looks like speed gems is the new name now.
There WAS a kit many moons ago where you sawed off that bellhousing extension and drilled and tapped the block to make it like the standard bellhousing. Seemed like a lot of trouble and a lot of room to screw up. lol

The water crossover over is also on the later 331s and the 354 heads. Early 331s had a wet intake. 55 they went to dry intake.
Industrial and truck heads did not have water crossover.

The water crossover over is also on the later 331s and the 354 heads. Early 331s had a wet intake. 55 they went to dry intake.
Industrial and truck heads did not have water crossover.
Well, yes the truck heads do. That tall center port is water, where on others, it's exhaust. My 56 331 truck engine has a wet intake. The center ports are water.

The motors with the extended bell were usually found on industrial application. Saw a lot of them on wind machines in eastern WA state in the Apple orchards. Not sure if that company that makes the conversion kit is still around but there’s kits out there that allow you to run just about any trans you want. I have one connecting my Desoto Hemi to a small block 727. I’ll most likely do the same with my Dodge Hemi.

-
Back