340/416 vs 383 vs 440

-
I try to keep my thinking simple. If I’m happy running 9.50’s or slower in an A body i will build a small block for it, 9.0’s to 9.50’s I’m on the wall thinking. 9.0’s and faster big block. This mainly has to do with the parts I have available and my age (62). If I was younger I would stock up on better small block stuff as it makes working on the car so much easier

You could easily keep your stock-stroke 340 and run a procharger (or any belt-driven s/c) kit with Sniper EFI / boost-referenced fuel system for nearly the same cost. May be something else you should consider.

416 or 440. More cubic inches means more street friendly power. The fitment is easy with either. THe weight is Very similar.

I'd probably choose the 416 is the car already is a SB.

I just find it funny there's only 2 engines okayed to be built on this site, 1st 408 and 2nd if you must a 360. Cause there's no replacement for displacement as long its a 360 or 408 lol
LOL.. :rofl:

My post weren't necessarily directed at you, I just find it funny there's only 2 engines okayed to be built on this site, 1st 408 and 2nd if you must a 360. Even though the OP wants build a 416 I'm sure if the discussion was continued to iron out a 416 combo, he'd be encouraged to sale the 340 and start with 360. Cause there's no replacement for displacement as long its a 360 or 408 lol
Ha you are right on about the 360/408 comment. Comes up anytime 340/416 is mentioned. . The 340 I have isn't going anywhere and that would be the block I stick with either way. I do appreciate the insight though. So if you see a small lock thread of a 416 build I'll have to put in a "no I won't be buying a 360 BLOCK" disclaimer.

It’s because most people are dicks without realizing it. The think there being helpful by the mention and there being hurtful by there mention or scorn if you don’t which is a danm shame. You can build your car your way. If you don’t build it with what they think, your a dick!

as long as it's a B wedge in happy 383 or 400, it don't matter to me. we have mastered the power range. lol
add a stroke and eclipse 700 hp.

Thanks, that’s an interesting thought of the 431 route. I’ll have to read up on that as I have a few 440 crank/rod sets I could use too.

Better off buying a stroker kit. Stock 440 crank needs the counterweights cut to fit the B-block for starters.

449 / Airwolf heads- presently in "More door" dart.
6.67 @ 103 >street car
Eng/ trans going in 73 Cuda project....

New heart for the "More Door' > 446 W-2

Waiting on good weather to paint the 540 Dart
be a good cruiser > 518 trans , 3.73 Dana

big or small I like them all...

View attachment 1715162732

View attachment 1715162733

View attachment 1715162735

View attachment 1715162740

View attachment 1715162741

Howard, what size rear tires and wheels are on the more door dart and how did you get them to fit? I want o but wider tires on the back of mine REAL bad!

@71duster06 I just finished up a 383 swap into my 71 Scamp. I too was at a cross roads on which direction I wanted to go, but since i got a smoking deal on the car and engine, i kept the 383 and ran with it. I will say, changing the plugs on a big block in any A-body will make you cuss more than normal. I kept power steering, and used the schumacher swap mounts, 6 cyl K-frame, 187 pan ( still had to ding it for clearence on the idler arm side ) and made 1 3/4 hedman B-body headers work with alot of hammering. the car currently has a 3000 stall converter, 4.10 gear, and runs great on rec 90. This was my first Big block swap. challenging yes. Would I do it again? HECK NO!! Unless it is an all out race car, id stroke a small block in the future.
Things to consider-
HEADERS
OIL PAN
TRANS
you have these important items already. and with a 4" arm in that 340 or 360, Those 3.23's will get a work out!

i'd use the 383 with a stroker kit myself. you can go up to 496 cubes and more room to work on a b block than an rb like the 440. i've put both in A bodies and the 383 definately gives much more room. not as much as a small block granted, but a lot more cubes available.
neil.

I would look at the pros and cons... Wouldn't take much to get 500 horse out of the 440. 340/stroker will get there, but probably be a more radical build. At the power level you are wanting, both would easily get it done. So it comes down to working on it in the car, yeah a big block sucks. But I would think that the big block will last a lot longer, with the stress on the main caps, and block stress. Jmo over or at 500, I would go BB.

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers..... I opted to do a RB in my Duster just for the sole reason that in a previous life I had a GM with a 540ci and it was a blast on the street. It also had 3 pedals like yours which made the car even more fun.

There will always be a trade off and certainly in an A body you will work harder for you efforts with a Big Block but has been done for decades. However with the new AFR's for the small block it sure makes that side of the world more inviting assuming they live up to all the hype.....

Your car, your way.....

JW

Thats because you ignored my post.
Ether way, it's his call.
For me, when I did my /6 - B block conversion, it was pricey. It would, cost the same as a small block from a /6. But he already has a small block there. IMO, the B/RB pays off well if your racing. Not so much otherwise. He will need a new trans, perhaps a new drive shaft, depends on the rear end thats in there now. If he makes a worthy big block, AKA, serious power, he will need a rear. Better radiator since a real powerful big block will not cool with a S/B rad.
How much for all the upgarded parts?

Actually, all he'd need is a bell housing. If its a true 340 4 spd, it should have the 8.75, which will handle a 440 powered street tire car just fine. Only thing different he'd need is engine mounts and maybe a radiator, which would likely need upgraded for longevity with a 500 hp built 416 anyway, same with the belhousing, clutch and flywheel. Dollar for Dollar, not much cost difference in building a 416 or a 440. If anything, I'd argue that a 500 hp 440 would be cheaper to build than a maxed out 416. However, for the same money as the 416, he could build a 600+ hp 440.

The biggest thing to me is this, the weight. If he does runs aluminum heads, intakes and headers, water pump etc, he can get that 440 weight down to that of a small block's stock weight. However, on the same notion, those same components shave the stock 360 weight down even more.

All that said, and having both a 408 stroker in one ride and a 440 in the other and having built and driven a 451 equipped charger, assuming I was going to be dropping the same coin for either option, I would actually opt for the 416. Reason being, it is a true H Code 4 speed car and one day, he may want to reverse course and go back to the original setup. Easier to do that, especially given some of the other mods to clear things in a RB A body that are much harder to return to original (Blower motor deletes, fender mods, etc)

I'm in the process of putting a 451 with tfs heads in a Duster, I went that route because of the dimensions of the B engine as opposed to RB. The cost is not much more with cutting crank and a much better variety of pistons which keeps costs down. Just My opinion but the 451 made better power than the 440 hands down. Good luck with your build.

Howard, what size rear tires and wheels are on the more door dart and how did you get them to fit? I want o but wider tires on the back of mine REAL bad!
dana narrowed to 51" flange to flange.
10" wheel- 5" back space,
275-60 x 15 ET pro.

have the same set up on the 72 Dart= except it has 325-50 x 15

007-1_zps3fe4d48b.jpg

006-2-1_zps3b700972.jpg

019.JPG

072_zps6sxcq7nu.jpg

002_zpsiaagjdxr.jpg

-
Back