340 block junk or no junk?

-

07raptorgytr

Reaction score
Here is my 340 block Iam about to send out for sonic and pressure checked for cracks. I would like to know if this chuck missing is way to big to be usable or should I be concerned . It measures just at 3/8" deep.
20160703_172339.jpg

Also under stand Iam doing a 4.125" stroker, so there is clearance notches made in the bottom of the cylinders for the rod studs or bolts

If it doesn't go into water, I wouldn't worry about it. At 4.125 stroke, you very well may be grinding clearance notches deeper than that.

If it doesn't go into water, I wouldn't worry about it. At 4.125 stroke, you very well may be grinding clearance notches deeper than that.
That is what me and my dad are thinking. When he built his 408 he said he had to clearance some for that 4.00" stroke, so being 4.125" it will probably be a definite.

I wouldn't worry with it. My 434 has a 4.125" crank with 2.00" rods. I had to do minimal grinding.

Even if a ring overlaps that, as long as it doesn't protrude pieces into the bore you are fine. You might take a small die grinder stone and grind it smooth and radius it.

The way I am thinking is there shouldn't be any rings down that low to catch, should be just the skirts. I guess the way Iam looking at it does this notch take away any strength from the cylinder?

In the pic it "appears" that there is almost the same shape below the notch, I'm looking at the color change.

I had a RB let go and took a chunk like that out of the bottom of a cylinder. This block is still in use in a friend of mines 65 Belvedere bracket car.

In the pic it "appears" that there is almost the same shape below the notch, I'm looking at the color change.

I agree, there seems to be some radiating damage there
I'd imagine your machine shop will be able to tell

Worst case scenario you can sleeve it and be on your way
(best case scenario, you sell it and buy a 360 with the proceeds)

-
Back