340 build - last time I "axe" these questions

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Before I call Summit ... here's my plan, would you change anything ? '69 340 .030 over (don't know compression yet) X-heads w/mild porting (haven't checked them yet but intend to) Airgap, TTI's, 750 Street Avenger, 3000-3500 stall, auto w/3.91 rear, manual discs, Dart. Looking at the XE274 and is the 750cfm going to give me any lag issues (would a 650 be more responsive with the package ?) My goal one day is to see mid 12's and I'm considering more headwork or Eddies, stroking's out of my range right now.

The combo looks pretty good. Stick with the 770? Street Avenger with your cam. And compression is important, so know what compression your making before you buy all these parts?

I'm assuming I'll have at least 9:1 being a '69 motor - I'll shoot for more if I can get it without too much expense ? Just want to avoid stutter at bottom end (been there - don't like it) but am reading up on annular boosters to fix the issue if the combo ain't quite right.

Combo looks good, but for god sakes lose the Avenger. They are overpriced in my opinion and are calibrated ridiculously lean. Go for a Quick Fuel Super Street Carb. Its more money, but gives you features of a race carb as far as tuneability. The avenger is just a 3310 with a quick change secondary spring and a secondary metering block.

Get what ever carb makes you happy. Yikes!

Thanks Peter - so you frequent this site as well I see! Yours is the first negative I've heard on the Avenger carbs believe it or not, but I respect your opinion and will research some more. Jon in Jacksonville (your old wheels).

I would lose the 750, and go smaller. Anything wet flowed and showing more than 700cfm is too big for a street 340 IMO. The Avengers are wet flowed, the 3310s are not.

I think that should run good and the 69 340's are the good one's right that came with more compression

seems like carbs are a sensitive subject around here ehh....

tti's what size? I don't think mid 12's would be too much to ask of a combo like this do you guys????

how about nitrous?

If you don't have the heads yet, save your money and go straight to the eddy's. Don't waste money these days on iron heads unless you already have them. Carb wise, I have always loved Holley DP's for hot street cars. I have a 750 on my 383 now. Check ebag you might find a good deal on a 650 or 700 because there isn't as much demand. A 750 wouldn't be out of the ballpark, though and I would jump on one if you can find one at a fair price.

I'm currently running a 340, 11.1 compression, mildly worked J heads, .508 MP purple cam, Torker and a 650 DP. I think my carb needs rebuilt but it keeps up with the rest of the combo just fine. My opinion? Check out these guys. If I could afford it I'd get a carb from them. Call 'em and they'd probably dial you up the perfect carb. If you want to spend less money, go w/ a 700 DP out o' the box. That's my carb opinion...

www.aedperformance.com

Oh, and by the way. Your combo looks good. The only thing I might consider is a Lunati Voodoo cam instead of your Comp 274. Do a search on these here and read up...after I did it's definately the next cam to replace my single pattern purple shaft!

Good luck and let us know how the build progresses!

Oh yea again...as far as mid-12's. No problemo w/ your drivetrain setup as long as your suspension is set-up right!

-
Back