340 dyno chart thoughts

-
I see that and I'm aware of corrected power. But my point isn't the corrected power. It's elevation and how you need to compensate for it. It's also that he built an engine with ported aluminum heads with a cam that doesn't take advantage of them. Uses a cam with a bad lift to duration and bad intake valve closing angle. And how all that gave it a low DCR and frankly, mediocre power. It's really just a recipe for an "Ok" engine.

Honestly if I had an engine with aluminum heads that flowed 260cfm, I would be pissed if it made under 400 horse. I just hate the idea of leaving 100 horse on the table because of mismatched engine.

You can't say anything about leaving power on the table. That means it can't be a street engine anymore and it is a rough idling, no power brake, RPM to the moon, no bottom end gargantuan PIG.

Nope, the best street engines always leave power on the table. That's what makes them streetable.

I hope you all get my witty sarcasm. I know the Canadians may not get it.

Do the Canadians get that sarcasm? I mean, with the language barrier and all.

I wanna say;
We understand your humor just fine, cuz we take the time to figure it out.
You guys don't understand ours cuz you think everybody should be like you.If you were loving and caring, and soft,warm and cuddly,and stuff like us,you'd understand us just fine too.
Take me fer instance. I try to inject some humor into every post,cuz it's fun. Fun for me and fun for you. Take that hockey stick remark I made a while ago, it's still getting mileage. It's popping up in lots of threads.
But you guys are tough;sorta like; "don't make me smile or I'll hafta reach thru the skreen an feed you a knuckle sandwich",tuff.You guys are waaay too serious. Well, some of you are.I have noticed tho that some of you are loosening up. And some of you might even be mistaken for Canucks, eh? And then there's BenDrinkin...and guys like him..............
But if I did say all that, would it be humorous, humorless, or humorliscious? You get that part, right?

My 1st question was just on what people thought about the combo and if there was anything odd about the graph or the specs on the engine. also based on what I have is there anything holding the engine back?by reading the comments it mostly seems to me that a different cam carb intake would boost the power. if anyone else had any thoughts I'd be interested in knowing but for the most part I have my answer

I feel it's your 318 intake more than anything even gasket matched the runners are too small for the needs of your engine. There designed to work 318 heads that are lucky to make more than 325 hp without serous porting.

Nope, no crack just facts. Those dyno headers are 25-30 HP better than what he'll use in the car. Tested it many times.

Normally I tend to agree with your posts YR but here I will just say this: In the case of exhaust testing I have tested enough to KNOW that I cannot predict the outcome of any exhaust test with 100% certainty. J.Rob

Yabut ;our horses are bigger and stronger so it takes fewer of them to get the job done.I mean they have to be, the seasons are shorter and cooler.They might be a lil sluggish some mornings,but once awake they are a raring to go!
Unlike our over-fed,under-exercised,impudent,marshmallow-lazy kids who stumble around from morning to night-time;don't get me started.But hey, their fingers are like lightning on their little smartphones.
I accompanied my wife to a doctors appointment recently,and there were about 20 people in the waiting room.The younger ones,just over half of them, were exercising their thumbs allrighty. With all that exercise you'd think they'd be healthier?
There was this one young fella, late teens I guessed, in there tho,who appeared to be of normal weight (a button-banger,too), also accompanying his significant other. Well when she returned from her inspection, she appeared a tiny bit older than he, a lot heavier and had a face full of ugly studs and rings and other uglies. Thing is, she was already typing as she returned to her seat! What a world!
But yeah your horses are Shetlands to our Percherons, so customs, exchange, and taxes aside,there's plenty leftover for motorvation.
lol,in case you don't get my Canadian humor.

Also dyno headers to car headers or any header short of big $$$ ones .5 in the quarter you must be smoking crack! I see a pretty nice street combo no regrets with a fairly flat torque curve.

Of coarse they are, he will be using mufflers with exh. A dyno is just a tool its not the end all be all.He might be really pleased , also not all dynos are equal this one could be stingy.

Look at the track testing between TTI's 2" headers and Schumacher's. There is your .5 seconds. Black and white real work numbers from the same car with both headers.

agreed that numbers don't show the same from dyno to dyno. To me it s a break in and or a tuning tool. Some just want bragging rights.

I can only speak for my engine dyno guy. He uses mufflers on all of his runs. Granted they are an XR-1 design but mufflers and 8 ft of pipe or so none the less.

OP, those CC numbers look fine. I give you credit for checking all 8, I only do one or 2 cylinders!

There was mufflers on the dyno exhaust you just can't see it in the pic. 3 " pipe though

I feel it's your 318 intake more than anything even gasket matched the runners are too small for the needs of your engine. There designed to work 318 heads that are lucky to make more than 325 hp without serous porting.

I'll agree with this. I wish I knew that was the case before had. it was a carb and intake that my dad had so I used it.I didn't know the intake was for 318. good to know going forward
I'd be interested in seeing another dyno chart and specs on a similar engine to mine just to see the differance if anyone happens to have any info to share

Last edited:
Normally I tend to agree with your posts YR but here I will just say this: In the case of exhaust testing I have tested enough to KNOW that I cannot predict the outcome of any exhaust test with 100% certainty. J.Rob

This is true. Exhaust is one of the most difficult things to sort out. My next W-2's will only have a 1.500 exhaust valve. I think 1.600 is just too big to keep the air speed up where it needs to be. So that's my plan. I'm sure the flow bench will say the 1.600 exhaust flows more, but it's nearly impossible to go by flow bench numbers on the exhaust port. The shape of the curve and how the port sounds, and the way it looks like with flow balls and my other ways of seeing what the port is doing is much more important than the actual number. As well as reverse flow and higher than normal test pressures.

Buy you are correct. I made a pretty blanket statement. But most of try time, dyno headers are better because they aren't all twisted up with tight turns at the flange to get them in the car.

I wanna say;
We understand your humor just fine, cuz we take the time to figure it out.
You guys don't understand ours cuz you think everybody should be like you.If you were loving and caring, and soft,warm and cuddly,and stuff like us,you'd understand us just fine too.
Take me fer instance. I try to inject some humor into every post,cuz it's fun. Fun for me and fun for you. Take that hockey stick remark I made a while ago, it's still getting mileage. It's popping up in lots of threads.
But you guys are tough;sorta like; "don't make me smile or I'll hafta reach thru the skreen an feed you a knuckle sandwich",tuff.You guys are waaay too serious. Well, some of you are.I have noticed tho that some of you are loosening up. And some of you might even be mistaken for Canucks, eh? And then there's BenDrinkin...and guys like him..............
But if I did say all that, would it be humorous, humorless, or humorliscious? You get that part, right?

Can somebody up there get AJ some Hot Cocoa??? And maybe a hug? Sounds like he needs this very much right now.

And if he is very nice to you, a shot or two of Wild Turkey in the Cocoa might help he ease his latitude pain and sufferings!!!!

We finally got snow yesterday. It was catch-up snow. We got enough that we're all caught up to November. Today we got December's snow, and tomorrow we are expecting enough precip to finish out the year.They say the sun might reappear on Friday or Saturday.And the day-time temps are finally below freezing;just..

Soooo, cocoa sounds good, keep the sauce and I never pass-up a hug anymore.
At one time, I was reluctant to hug the young girls on account of they might find hugging an old guy, offensive, and I hadn't yet learned where the pervert line was. So hugs were short and loose and not too personal. One day I got called on my crappy hugs. So now I crush the young girls, and hang on like it will be the last time we ever do it.They seem to enjoy it and I know I do. So YR I'm doing my part, but if you're coming over,I don't want to be feeling anything manly during the intros....

We finally got snow yesterday. It was catch-up snow. We got enough that we're all caught up to November. Today we got December's snow, and tomorrow we are expecting enough precip to finish out the year.They say the sun might reappear on Friday or Saturday.And the day-time temps are finally below freezing;just..

Soooo, cocoa sounds good, keep the sauce and I never pass-up a hug anymore.
At one time, I was reluctant to hug the young girls on account of they might find hugging an old guy, offensive, and I hadn't yet learned where the pervert line was. So hugs were short and loose and not too personal. One day I got called on my crappy hugs. So now I crush the young girls, and hang on like it will be the last time we ever do it.They seem to enjoy it and I know I do. So YR I'm doing my part, but if you're coming over,I don't want to be feeling anything manly during the intros....

I feel for ya! Just heard we are getting 4 days of snow. And I have to travel next week been dry all stinking winter until I have to drive in it. What a biotch.

Glad you like cocoa. I was going to have someone give you a Snickers, but I don't think they have those in Canada do they?

And I never do hairy man hugs. Just don't do it. So you are out of luck there.

I think we are getting off topic a bit :p

I have 2 questions. does a engine gain power once it is "broken in" if so why? also will it gain power once the beak in oil is changed? I assume yes since it's lower viscosity. if so by how much hp and I assume oil psi will drop some as well correct ?

Last edited:
In the old days engines came with cast-iron rings. These are pretty hard. So they had to wear a while to conform to the cylinder walls and maximize the ring seal. This usually took a few hundred miles.At the end of this period, the engine made a bit more idle torque, and the rpm might rise some 50 or so rpm. Power would be up too on account of the better ring seal.
Modern engines may have moly 2nd rings in them. And modern boring equipment makes a rounder,straighter, smoother cylinder wall. When the cylinder walls are finished with regards to these moly rings, break-in can be extremely short.Shorter than the cam break-in period.

Oh bull crap. I had 11 inches of vacuum at idle on the SAME CAM. Just because you can't tune don't mean the rest of us can't. Those heads don't need a 110 LSA and I'll keep saying that until I'm dead because it's stupid.

I would agree that the MP cam would make 11" of vacuum on a 340, wouldn't you agree that OP's combination is not sorted out and when the timing and fuel delivery is tuned properly it should make about 14" vacuum at idle?

I don't care how much of a magician you might be, a well tuned engine with a longer duration cam and tighter lobe separation is going to have less vacuum and worse street manners than The same well tuned engine with the only change being a shorter duration cam and wider lobe separation. They both contribute to overlap which is a major factor in street manners and idle vacuum. The cam OP runs is 11 deg overlap @ .050 while the cam you're suggesting is 29 deg @ 0.050". How can you honestly think this won't have an effect?

I do not know why all you guys run such low idle vacuum numbers. I have a 360- 410 stroker in my aussie charger. It has a hughes 228-232 roller cam in it with 800 edelbrock carb with RPM air gap manifold. Vacuum is 14 @850 revs and 15 @ 1000revs. Plenty for power brakes to work well. I am thinking of putting one of those adjustable PCV valves on it . Anyone with a link to the manufacturer of these.

-
Back