340 GURU needed

-

txracer

Reaction score
Well a long story cut short. My 340 quit running! Seamed to be locked up. Had towed home. Crank will turn 360 degrees then stops ( more of a thump a than a clank!) . Took starter out, then took valve covers off to check for a dropped valve, then unbolted torque converter, then pulled distributor, then oil pump shaft, then pulled fuel pump! And dang! It still will turn 360 degrees then stops cold! won't go past that spot.

Also pulled plug and felt the top of all pistons. Stuck my magnet in each cylinder to se if anything came out! Nothing!

What's next?

or pull the heads and see if all the pistons move
then pull the engine out and tear it down

I had a guy on fbbo suggest putting staws or vacuum lines down in the cylinder to check piston movement.
thought that was a good idea

hi, might try pulling timing cover, possible chain or gear breakage. cam jumped time?

did I hear somebody ask for a 340 GURU?

that must be me, I a '340 GURU'

I know more about a 340 than anyone else, but don't ask me about a 360,273 or 318 cause those are alien like to me...

Pull the pan and you,ll see why it,s NOT turning 360 degrees.Not a Guru^^,just know enough to get by.LOL

All Pistons moved. All rockers moved. Found problem!! Finally. Notice anything funny?

Attachments

• P2020346.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 161
  • P2020348.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 158
Someone had to operate the camera!!!

Attachments

• P1300339.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 150
Now need to pull head and see what kind of damage I have on my hands!!!

Yeah. It was hard trying to get a good pic. But the valve dropped in the cylinder abit. Then piston hit the valve while stem was still in the guide and bent the valve! Thus motor will not turn over because it is hitting the valve. Notice how close the stem is to the valve seat area on the head. Just wonder how much damage I'm going to have on block, piston and head

-
Back