340 magnum from 73 dodge dart rebuild

-

AlexBarracuda65

Reaction score
hello their I have a 340 magnum Mopar engine that I am wanting to send off to be rebuilt I have chosen a shop and that will fully rebuild the engine and break it in. what price should I expect to pay to have this done to my engine including brand new cylinder heads. also if I ask for everything except the block to replaced what price would I expect to receive

You've already selected a shop, and they didn't give you a price??
They're going to ask you the same questions that you'll be asked here-
There's cheap parts and there's exotic parts and there's everything in between. What do you want?
What kind of heads are you looking for? Stroker crank? Stock rebuild?
What are you looking to have with the finished engine- strip only, street/strip, cruising to the ice cream parlor, daily driver, etc... there's lots of BIG differences that will be reflected in the cost.
You need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your proposed builder.

It's pretty subjective depending on location. For a professional engine job, I would expect to pay no less than 7K and probably more.

By the way, welcome to FABO. As said above, we really need to know where you want to go with this engine. There's a huge difference between a stock refresh '' meaning new heads are not required'' vs a performance build. Let us know.....we're a lot more friendly then we look....:)

whenever somebody asks a question in this manner my favorite response is: how big is a house?

so based on your responses, it looks like I should have put more context. I want a daily driver but when I hit the throttle it will have power. I sent the engine down with my uncle who knows a lot more about it than I do and he told the guy what needs to be done. I am currently waiting for a quote. what I want is to bore the cylinders and adding larger pistons since I have a bigger carburetor. he is also adding a Highrise intake manifold and a new camshaft. my uncle told me it would be about 15 to 20k just on my uncles estimate but that seems high i was expecting like 8 to 10 and i dont really care if its stock or not its not going in the stock car anyways its going in a 1965 barracuda

so based on your responses, it looks like I should have put more context. I want a daily driver but when I hit the throttle it will have power. I sent the engine down with my uncle who knows a lot more about it than I do and he told the guy what needs to be done. I am currently waiting for a quote. what I want is to bore the cylinders and adding larger pistons since I have a bigger carburetor. he is also adding a Highrise intake manifold and a new camshaft. my uncle told me it would be about 15 to 20k just on my uncles estimate but that seems high i was expecting like 8 to 10 and i dont really care if its stock or not its not going in the stock car anyways its going in a 1965 barracuda

5.9 mag short block
Aftermarket heads
Reground cam
Stainless valves
Hughes springs
Aluminum intake
Aluminized hedders
770 Holley Street Avenger
Manufactured aluminum V covers.

Right at 3k total.

IMG_4702.png

The quote will be the same for any LA engine. Might as well go for more cubic inches. The lower you csan keep the RPMs, the longer the build will last.
Go for a stroker.
You must have a plan before you start anything.
Old saying, Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Get your ducks in a row. Find a reputable builder to get info on what you are trying to achieve.

I don't think you and your uncle are on the same page. A 73' 340 puts out about 240 net hp. So with a nice tight rebuild, a slight hyd cam upgrade, maybe a rpm intake with a good exhaust system will get you around 270/275 real hp. In a light early Abody that has the ability to be a 13sec smooth daily driver.

Then you have to think about that 7.25 rear that's probably in it. Regardless, i think, engine wise, 4k should get you a top notch build on the long block even if it requires boring.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Just do as much research as you can and remember the old saying.....measure twice/cut once. :)

I''l add a few tidbits in no particular order of importance.
Generally want to over bore as little as possible. More so with a 340, which is (a) somewhat more expensive/valuable than most LA engines (b) can run into issues with a .060 overbore. Its alreadya pretty big bore to begin with. Not much to gain, compession to lose.

'73 heads may have the slightly smaller intake valve. If its needs valves anyway, then put in the larger valves.

As already posted the money saved/budget into the drivetrain. If you want throttle response on the street, hewing close to the earlier factory setup is pretty pleasing. Gearing and some tuning will go far.

-
Back