340 or 318 turbo

-
They're both neat, but Ryan's '66 is faster at a scalding 10.74...

With out a doubt and I would even go a step further and call it cooler as well.
Something about that fuel injection, I can't put my finger on it.

I switch out the exhaust manifold from the 1967 that weighs about 50 pounds each to the 1972 they were at least 10 pounds each. And fits into the engine compartment a lot easier. Right now it's running independent exhaust all the way back, will change over to a Y pipe and remote mount the turbo. And run the intake up through the passenger side// And fabricate some sort of stand-alone oiling system for the turbo. I don't know the dimension of exhaust pipe I should run nor the intintake any ideas.

With out a doubt and I would even go a step further and call it cooler as well.
Something about that fuel injection, I can't put my finger on it.

The Aussie car has a dynamite fuel injection system, no doubt about that! The impressive thing to me is, that Ryan did this with a garden-variety Holley 4-barrel double pumper carb! And stock, solid lifters. And stock rocker arms.... and a power-robbing 727 transmission... and a 5,500rpm redline...

He is am impressive tuner, along with Tom Wolfe, who has a very similar engine making virtually equal power.

Those guys inspired me to build a copycat motor. I don't delude myself that our car will ever be within a full second of Ryan's, but high 11's out of an automatic-transmission slant six with one 4bbl carb wouldn't be bad! If we can get THAT close, I'll be happy as a clam!!!:cheers:

I switch out the exhaust manifold from the 1967 that weighs about 50 pounds each to the 1972 they were at least 10 pounds each. And fits into the engine compartment a lot easier. Right now it's running independent exhaust all the way back, will change over to a Y pipe and remote mount the turbo. And run the intake up through the passenger side// And fabricate some sort of stand-alone oiling system for the turbo. I don't know the dimension of exhaust pipe I should run nor the intintake any ideas.

I think you need to re-think the turbo's oiling system, at least the supply side.

It would be very little trouble to run a 3/8"-brake line from the oil filter pressure gauge fitting back to th rear mounted turbo; just buy the required amount of steel 3/8"-brake tubing and route it under the car back to the turbo.

Then, you'd need to design a catch reservoir under the turbo...

Harbor Freight sells some reasonably-priced 12-volt fluid pumps that could be used to pump the used oil back to the rocker arm cover (or, fuel pump block-off plate,) removing the necessity of putting a hole in the pan, not always an easy thing to do (and avoid leaks.)

Keep us informed of your progress! This looks like fun!!!:happy1:

This is one of my choices for a manifold not because of the air gap but because of the bosses, the versatility of head options and price.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=330869715498&cmd=VIDESC

I am not trying to sell this thing to any one just asking for opinions and if their is one you think might work better let me know.

I have one of those manifolds on my 360 Magnum, which is equipped with a Vortech supercharger and it seems to work great, having given me zero issues in the five years I have been using it.

Mine was made in China, but at the time I bought it, the Edelbrock Air Gap manifolds were being advertised, but were delayed in distribution because of some early casting issues, and I couldn't find one to buy, anywhere.

So, I ended up buying this one and it has worked flawlessly.

If "made in China" is not a problem for you, I don't think you'll have any issues with this manifold. Some of them have had reports of core-shift/port alignment issues, but mine didn't.

Apparently, that is only a problem with certain of the manifolds; many are A-OK in that regard. I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be (or, IF it would even be a problem,) on a boosted engine, anyway. Boost seems to gloss over certain issues...

That's all I know about that manifold. I think it's sold by "Professional Products" maybe under the name "Crosswind."

Good luck...:coffee2:

Attachments

• blwerfix.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 778
With a Y pipe do I go from 2 1/2 pipe to 3" or should I go 2 1/2 all the way or 3 all the way.

2.5" for the pre turbo hotside system is fine.....3" primary pipe is overkill for anything under 1000hp.

Nice car, I would definetly go the route of a 340 turbo... BTW, you were great in X-Men
2013-04-09_21-11-01_363_zps627d3fe5.jpg

Wolverine-Hugh-Jackman-rock-hard-fitness-1.jpg

Save the 340 for the number matching thing, do a 360 instead, more cubes, cheaper, easier to find. A Magnum would do you well too.

Go 318. Less cubes to feed means smaller turbo and less lag. Should be able to easily test the limits of a stock block with a turbod 318. Below is a stock 318 magnum bottom end, stock cam and maybe RHS heads .... cant remember.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vP9Mcivneg"]Nick 98 dakota custom turbo dyno.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Gentleman I already have the turbo already has a 318 and the 340 is low a compression 1973 no real value.

2013-03-25_07-22-40_764_zpsb1b93ad5.jpg

You should start a Poll thread and see what comes of it. IMHO, if your going turbo, you might as well go 340, why waste your time on 318 when you have the same motor with a .049" bigger bore. If you did not have the 340 already, then I would say go turbo 318.

You should start a Poll thread and see what comes of it. IMHO, if your going turbo, you might as well go 340, why waste your time on 318 when you have the same motor with a .049" bigger bore. If you did not have the 340 already, then I would say go turbo 318.

Pros 318 will swap everything over to 340 once I'm done, its my first turbo setup, if I do sin and destroy something Mopar I'd rather it be a 318 than a 340 it's the lesser of the two evils. It gives me something to work on while I am driving the dart. I promise you when I set up the turbo I will drop in the 340 once it's built.

The 340 is a low compression engine, it is externally balanced, I don't have the externally balanced flywheel for a 904, I don't have a 727 laying around,

Jrlegacy23 I appreciate you for recognizing me in the small role in the movie x-men
but even more so appreciate the interest you took in this thread I only hope you keep the interest thank you again.

2 1/2 pipe is the way to go thanks Prine.
I will fab something up. Will post new picks soon.

318 or 340 won't matter much on power output once you Force Feed the boost to it! Heads cam choice and compression will dictate how much lag it will have along with the size of the turbo used.

318 or 340 won't matter much on power output once you Force Feed the boost to it! Heads cam choice and compression will dictate how much lag it will have along with the size of the turbo used.

very true!

Hey cali concept, I'm with you all the way with the 318, here is a pic of my manifold being modded to take the turbo. This is a 360 manifold which will be used on the 318 with a single turbo.

Attachments

• Manifold_009.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,779
Hey cali concept, I'm with you all the way with the 318, here is a pic of my manifold being modded to take the turbo. This is a 360 manifold which will be used on the 318 with a single turbo.

Well I can honestly say I have never seen it done like that. So your just going to cap off where the exhaust usually dumps then?

What your looking at is the mount for the turbo. There will be a joining pipe between the two exhaust manifolds, crossing under the engine.

What your looking at is the mount for the turbo. There will be a joining pipe between the two exhaust manifolds, crossing under the engine.

So single turbo then right? Yeah I have never seen it done like that. The Turbo will be really high out of the hood then? Maybe not after looking at my pic where mine are as far as height goes.

-
Back