340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
I had a lot of fun putting 340's in early darts and made them look stock, 1 I did was a 65 GT Paint flacking off juet a touch of rust on the quarters. Would run low 14's with a open 3.23 and snow tires. What a riot it was. We called it grannies Dart. My brother totaled it but I still have the motor.

And there's this!! please show all photos of 360 pro stock world champions LOL

Screenshot_20220126-054653.png

The 360 has one claim to fame the 340 never achieved, and that was being the engine that powered the quickest american production vehicle in 1978 in a pickup truck.
I could be wrong but wasn't the X block that Glidden used to win pro stock in 79 based off a reinforced 318 block, I know they came with a 318 bore(3.91) from the factory and according to Mopar at the time could only except .150 over bore to 4.06 bore.

The 360 has one claim to fame the 340 never achieved, and that was being the engine that powered the quickest american production vehicle in 1978 in a pickup truck.
I could be wrong but wasn't the X block that Glidden used to win pro stock in 79 based off a reinforced 318 block, I know they came with a 318 bore(3.91) from the factory and according to Mopar at the time could only except .150 over bore to 4.06 bore.

i have seen them out to 4.125, ran one myself at 4.100 with plenty of meat left.
They did come with a small bore as delivered, but this piece was a direct connection performance block with several upgrades over a production block. Top was basically stock, bottom was beefier by a good bit. Had ears as delivered, super nice piece.

i have seen them out to 4.125, ran one myself at 4.100 with plenty of meat left.
They did come with a small bore as delivered, but this piece was a direct connection performance block with several upgrades over a production block. Top was basically stock, bottom was beefier by a good bit. Had ears as delivered, super nice piece.

The decks are thicker on the X block too.

the 360 had more than one claim to fame the 340 never had. It was the hot ticket in motorhomes and many of the C body family plan sedans.

But my point being is in 79 when the X block came out the 340 was long gone. So it was my understanding that the X block was based off the 79 318 block that was reinforce with thicker decks, thicker webbing, thicker bores, and higher nickel cast iron casting. That is something that been stuck in my head from something I read about the block back in the early 80's.

in don't think anybody is putting the 360 or 340's down.In any given build one could be faster than the other,but fast or power isn't the issue. It's preference.

Maybe for production blocks, but the X block is a race block, the predecessor to the R blocks.
The chevy guys argue over 327,350,and 400 which is the best.
The ford guys argue over the windsors and clevelands
It's all just bench racing and personal preference and something to discuss and keep us busy till spring, when we can do what we love best, drive our favorite Mopars whatever flavor you love.

I love my 340s. But i have built 360s also. Cant tell a big difference when built the same. So I build what ever I have.

But my point being is in 79 when the X block came out the 340 was long gone. So it was my understanding that the X block was based off the 79 318 block that was reinforce with thicker decks, thicker webbing, thicker bores, and higher nickel cast iron casting. That is something that been stuck in my head from something I read about the block back in the early 80's.

That’s because Chrysler was using over the counter TA blocks for race blocks. By the time 1975-1976 rolled around the TA block was not capable of handling the power they were making back then. So they developed the X block on what was failing on the TA block. That’s one reason why Chrysler didn’t use splayed caps on the X or the R blocks. You can only get a 3/8 bolt and maybe you can squeeze a 7/16 bolt in there. So they used straight bolts with 1/2 threads and stood them up. That moves the bolt center line out. And it’s stronger than a splayed cap with even a 7/16 bolt.

The R block was developed from what was failing on the X block. With the proliferation of 4 inch and longer strokes today, the long deck height of the SBM would be the engine of choice IF could actually get cylinder heads.

In austrialian Pro Stock the SBM is king, but for some reason they aren’t using Ritter blocks (they may be now but not the last time I checked they were scouring the globe for R blocks) and head castings are getting impossible to find.

Studebaker friend and I picked up several Mopars a while back. For his help, I let him have two wagons, a C and a B, both 318's. The C's motor had less than a 100K, ran good. He thought he could get a few hundred dollars for the two 318 motors. Couldn't give them away. So he just said the Hell with it and scrapped both cars - back when scrap metal was bringing good money, so he did OK.

-
Back