340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
Listen, I LOVE a 340. They are the stuff legends are made of. But the truth is this. You didn't see a PILE of B or E body 340 cars outrunnin big block brand x cars. The fact is, the CAR was also part of the legend. Stout small block in a small, light, nimble, UNI-BODY A body THAT was the secret. That's why they could outrun full frame big block cars. It's like anything else. It's the whole package.

Why? 350s came with steel cranks too.

Because the overall displacement fits the cylinder heads much better. Even with good aftermarket heads the bore to stoke ratio and rod to stroke ratio (which is much more important when the induction system is limited than it is when you can start running heads will more shallow valve angles and raised ports) fits the induction better. In my opinion of course.

Because the overall displacement fits the cylinder heads much better. Even with good aftermarket heads the bore to stoke ratio and rod to stroke ratio (which is much more important when the induction system is limited than it is when you can start running heads will more shallow valve angles and raised ports) fits the induction better. In my opinion of course.
Then sling some Bow Ties on it.

Without pictures, this thread is useless. :lol:

BluePrint Engines 408
upload_2022-1-26_12-50-33.png

Thanks to @Johnny Mac :thumbsup:

I doubt it. The dz302 is one of the Generals' all time classics as is the 327!

Back in the 1970’s there was a shop that did performance work in the area I live now (Freeport area). A real “Chevy head”. His brother had a 1969 barracuda with a 440 in it. The car sounded great but he would never race anywhere or anywhere. Well I lived in Natrona Heights and met several racing buddies that raced almost nightly with me. Well this shop built this 302 up rather nicely and put it in this kids named Macintire that owned a beautiful 1969 Camero. Well for months this shop and car owner bragged it up bigtime. This kid was almost as cocky as I was. Well he came looking for me one night and my buddy’s said you aren’t going to race him are you. Cocky John said hell ya so we headed out to our racing spot him with his built 4 speed 302 and me with my 4 speed home built 340. First race I beat him by 3 cars. Second race I told my buddy’s watch this. Second race I beat him by 7-8 cars. My buddy’s cracked up and the brother with the 69 barracuda laid it on his brother for years. Well in 1985 I moved to the Freeport area and guess who’s farm borders the one side of my 2 acres. Yep, Macintires farm. I never heard of him racing anyone after that night. I wonder if he still has that beautiful Camero.

C'mon, people.
If you're doing a build, it basically don't amount to a hill of beans if you start with a 340 or 360, as long as the basis is sound. What counts is what parts and how much thought you put into it, rendering any comparison of the two pointless.
For factory engines, the 340 was never anything but a performance engine, with a relatively short production life; '68- '73. Similar to the street hemi, limited production life, one dedicated purpose- performance. There was no grocery getter version of the 340. In all it's years of production, I can only think of 2 deviations from the yearly long block production norm: the 340 T/A and AAR E bodies, and a reverse-rotation 340 for Chrysler Marine for twin-engine installations.
The 360 was in production from '72-'92 (2001 if you want to include the 5.9 Magnum) and powered everything from Dusters to Winnebagos, generators to irrigation pumps; in a thousand versions including 2bbl., 4bbl., TBI, MPI, natural gas, flat tappet, roller tappet, industrial spec, Mil. spec, police spec, marine, and on and on... Lets face it, these things were EVERYWHERE.
So which do you think is going to be more popular? The 340 is the performance legend that you have in mind as you build your 360. Sometime the legends get embellished over time, but that's the nature of things. The 340 was intended solely as a performance "image" engine, and it's successor, the 360 had much broader intentions for it's use. Two engines born in 2 different eras to suit different intentions, but either one can be a viable performance engine for a multitude of applications; but as I said before, that's all in the build.

Last edited:
Well that's a wrap boys mopars factory built high performance small block Mauler wins again but 55% of us already knew that, we still have much love for the 360 though. And you'll always be our second pick LOL

Well that's a wrap boys mopars factory built high performance small block Mauler wins again but 55% of us already knew that, we still have much love for the 360 though. And you'll always be our second pick LOL
:poke: :lol: 68 340 Dart vs 69 440 Dart. I heard the 340 is the giant slayer. lol
Say, headers and slicks on both cars.

340 Hands down. Revin little sog's. I've also owned a 71RR 340 car. Beat the **** out of 383 RR's and loss a few to 440's but only by a fender and beat some also. I always had fun with my 340's and that's why I picked a 340.

:poke: :lol: 68 340 Dart vs 69 440 Dart. I heard the 340 is the giant slayer. lol
Say, headers and slicks on both cars.
I've owned them both, in addition to a 383 GTS- not as much straight line difference as some people want you to believe.
It was more a matter of fitting them into a particular NHRA class and the allowable modifications that made them shine.
When I was in the mood to have some fun, more often than not I'd find myself grabbing the keys to the 340.

I do also own a 69 340 GTS, and all I can say is when driving it I laugh and giggle all the way. it is a blast to drive, revvs like crazy, and has the energy of a golden retriever that was let loose after being locked up all day!

20210326_123101.jpg

very near the top of my all time favourite list!
...and no, the Hemi and 360 are not on the list.

Last edited:
Without pictures, this thread is useless.

510hp (340) 416" left.
400hp? (318) 328" right.
650hp (360) 408" in the 'cuda.

I'm telling you guys, it doesn't fackin matter! The 318 could have been built to go 650. The 340 could have been built to go 400. You guys are just jaw jackin.

318/340/360
IMG-4083.jpg

328"
IMG-2691.jpg

IMG-3327.JPG
IMG-3329.JPG

416"
IMG-4107.jpg
IMG-4109.jpg

Wow! OP asked one question, & nearly 10 pages later....
Glad he didn't ask two questions...

LoL, with the BB pushing the nose way too deep into the corners. This dart is small block and has history racing back in the day. Saw it at Latina Seca last summer during the historic races.

View attachment 1715859012
Is that the old Ron Grable car? I love how they bulged the quarters to get some real tires to fit- the first "widebody" Dart?
This one's on my shop wall:
upload_2022-1-26_0-54-53.jpeg

340 Hands down. Revin little sog's. I've also owned a 71RR 340 car. Beat the **** out of 383 RR's and loss a few to 440's but only by a fender and beat some also. I always had fun with my 340's and that's why I picked a 340.
Also my experience with my 340 4-speed swinger.

-
Back