340 Rear Main Seal Install with Superformance Seal?

-
Glad that you got it fixed. I don't know enough about the specifics to really comment on it, I just wanted to say DAMN does that thing sound mean.

As a side note, motorcycle engine cases (which house the crank bearing main caps) use sealer between them and spin in excess of 15,000 rpm.

"with the clamping force designed to hold the reciprocating pieces of an engine together. (again, research fretting)"
Just to be clear, we are taking about a seal retainer here....not a main cap ! Sealer on the joining surfacing of the retainer won't hurt a thing !

On a small block the "seal retainer" is the rear main cap. I'm 100% with Blind and the others. Nothing should be spread directly on the mating surfaces. Certainly not RTV. There are anaerobic sealants and other products to properly seal mating surfaces that are designed to use them. A main cap on any Mopar V8 is not one of them. Sealant used here it shouldn't be certainly can affect other things. I've never offset the ends and use the absolute minimum of sealant. That being said - if that's what you're used to doing, and it either works for you, or works well enough, that's your prerogative.

Would the below be correct?
(FelPro BS 40094)

39B58B55-4880-4C1D-ACCD-23707308F475.jpeg

Sounds like crap to me, as there isn't a chance in hell I wouldn't use a thin film of RTV from the seal edge to the outside of the cap.
That "won't be round" thing sounds like BS also, because that's what the groove in the block and cap are for as well as determining clamping force around the entire seal.

I probably would be ok with those little ends as all they have to do is block that channel in the block.

I gotta tall ya, I would also clock the seal and a tiny little dap of red RTV on the ends where the seal halves come together.

Now I see why you decided to ask. :D

hughs engines pretty much say the dame thing ^^^^^^^^^^^

Not a machinist by any means, but for those wondering about putting sealer on a machined surface, I can tell you that from my shipbuilding career, I know that Naval steam turbines are metal to metal surfaces on the casings. There is no sealant used. "Scrapers" (a dying art) spend many hours mating the casing surfaces on board the ship, but no sealants are used. Just my 2 cents.

used to do the scraping thing on pipeline engine bearings , always hated it ! Hated grinding the poppet valves for the compressors too !
nothing between the caps and case, those pipeline engines set in place and run for 40 or more yrs . some times . they can change oil and coolant in them w/o a shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back