340 Stroker Combo

-

SBeeMan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I've only run Big Block Mopars all my life. I got a 340 Dart in a trade and want to build a race only motor. It's a 340+.030 Eddy heads I plan to max port,.650 lift roller.Comp roller rockers,Hooker 1 5/8 headers,850 reworked Holley,Victor intake that will be ported as well. Will be an 1/8 bracket car,trans brake,delay box,air shift etc. Car is about 3100lbs,8pt roll bar,frame connectors,dana,spool,4.30 gear,Strange axles,mini tubed with ladder bars so traction should not be an issue.
All the stroker threads here are more for street stuff.
I read good stuff about Bloomer stroker kits and have looked at Mancini Summit etc at kits.
I want to end up with compression in the 13.5-14.0 range. Who's run what and with what results?
Thanks

Mine is a 73 340 block,.30 over with a 3.79 stroke crank, Indy 360-2 heads, 10.9 to 1 comp. Indy intake 1050 Dom. custom solid roller cam,255/266 @.50 .704 lift with 1.65 T&D rockers. Made 662 hp @ 7300and 533 lbs tq. I only run pump gas I did not want the extra cost of race gas. My D50 weighs 2950 with me in it. I have run a best so far of 6.21 @ 110.59 in the 1/8

race only? everything you listed plus this, go +.060" over, a bigger roller cam something in the .700"+ range, two 750"s or 850"s on a T-ram, 4.56 gears, 1 3/4" headers and 8" converter. now that's a race only motor!

Thanks D,sounds like a great combo for you,fast. Bob your right,that is a race only setup.lol I wanta keep .030 in the block for the next rebuild if I need it. Plus run a single carb.
Guess more what I'm asking is who would you look to for a kit,like it ready out of the box,balanced,rods sized etc. I don't want to have second guess their work.

I'll be doing a Rod Bloomer kit soon. I just got my W5's finished.
Your combo has headers that are to small.
What displacement are you running/planning?

I'm planning to go 416ci Rumblefish,thought the headers were small. I've been looking at TTI headers,full race. I'm stuck with the ported Eddy heads for now,the Victor intake & 850 Holley. Thanks for the info Abomber.

The Edelbrock head can take you far being fully ported. I don't see a problem making high 500HP levels and still have pump gas capabilities. Milling the chamber some might be neesed. The long stroke takes care of most of the high ratio search.

The tti headers are a good start. I'm not sure where a larger single size header will make more power. The stepped units are very good. I will be running the tti's myself into a 3 inch exhaust to start. Also the MP-M1 race single and will probably target a 950 cfm carb for the track.

Considering I run the 1/4 & not the 1/8, my cam choice will more than likely differ somewhat. Lift wise I'm also looking at 650. Duration wise, hummmmm, need to work it out. I have a few fellas willing to help. There part of the been there done that crowd in the 1/4, so I think I'll be in good shape. Looking toward your cam choice for the 1/8 mile.

According to the Wallace racing calculator by my 1/8 mile ET my 1/4 time would be 9.85 and going by my mph it would be 9.74. I am running 315/60 M/T Drag Radials and home made caltrac bars with stock springs. I also built my own headers they are 17/8 with 3 1/2 collectors and Bullet mufflers.

Thanks for all the info guys. Like I said,I know nothing about small block Mopars. I keep hearing Bloomer is the best as far as kits go. I'm gonna give him a call this week.

give mrl performance or imm a call both know how to make hp, if they make 600hp on pump gas and streetable and no exotic parts, imagine what they can do with high comp specialty parts:blob:

I have got all MRL parts in my 340/416
4.0705"block 70 340
RHS/Indy X
Lunati 242/252
Scat crank and rod
Super Victor intake
Bigs 750 stage 5 carb
480/500 ft torque

mine is a 416 10.3 fully worked eddies, victor 340, 926 carb 600 roller cam, around 3350 with me in it , full weight, and a street convertor , 4.30 gear, threwexhaust, ran 6.78 on pump gas its a street car , I know it not a race motor like you want but with more compression like you want, it would only get better , made around 600 on dyno, another guy had a similar build with high compression and made around 650, good luck:D

Thanks for all the info guys. Like I said,I know nothing about small block Mopars. I keep hearing Bloomer is the best as far as kits go. I'm gonna give him a call this week.

Rod has nothing but quality parts at good prices.

I have Rods 4.25 crank in a 30 over 340. 10:1 comp, pump gas version. Don't know how fast you want to go but the first night at the track it put down a 10.79. Broke the axle the next time I went down. Very pleased with the combo

I have Rods 4.25 crank in a 30 over 340. 10:1 comp, pump gas version. Don't know how fast you want to go but the first night at the track it put down a 10.79. Broke the axle the next time I went down. Very pleased with the combo

Heads?
Cam?
Intake/carb?
Cam?
Converter?
Gear/tire height?

Being you're an east-coaster give BPE a call directly. Personally i don;t buy balanced - I have it don at the shop I use. Ported RPMs will be the choke point IMO, but you can make a real 550-600hp with properly equipped solid roller and race fuel. Don't go past .030 over. DO have the block sonic tested and do not use it if it's thin. Strokers don't need to rev, but they do need air. Lose the Holley and get something you think is way too large. It will like it. Don't build past 13:1 for two reasons - head gaskets can be difficult to keep in it (you'll need head studs - so don't forget them and the gasket when you hone it), and you don't need it to make the power you want. Do something about the main caps. That and core shift are the small block's Achilles heal(s) IMO.

Lots of good info,learning more about these small blocks. Moper,I wondered about going high compression with the bolt arrangement. I have studs with the Eddy heads. Seeing some of these combo's and the numbers they run,thinking I might wanta stay in the 11.5 range for compression.

My combo is an x block with milodon 4 bolt mains
4.04 standard bore
Scat 4.0 forged standard weight crank
Eagle H beam rods standard size pin and crank bore.
Custom Ross piston 12.0 to 1 460 grams
810 W2 heads ported by Shady delll 301 cfm at .700 lift 2.08 intake
Old Holley strip dominator
1 7/8 heddman headers
Comp cams .650 roller ( too small)
Norris w2 rockers
Old custom aluminum rear sump 10 inch deep oil pan with deep rotor and swinging pickup
Homemade crank trigger
Head studs and main studs
Custom Holley 750 also too small
8 inch pro series 4600 turbo action converter with low gear and rear gear to be determined
Full block oiling mods including front oiling mod and crossover tube for rocker oiling.
Milodon gear drive

Duane

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 385
Lots of good info,learning more about these small blocks. Moper,I wondered about going high compression with the bolt arrangement. I have studs with the Eddy heads. Seeing some of these combo's and the numbers they run,thinking I might wanta stay in the 11.5 range for compression.

Yeah, no need to go crazy with compression. For example, my 410 stroker is a pump gas friendly 10.8:1, ported Edelbrocks, small solid roller (248/254 with .576/.582 lift), too small a carb (750dp), 3200 lbs and it runs mid 10's through the mufflers in street trim.

-
Back