340 T/A head identification

-
OK I just picked up a 340 the block has a casting date 4 8 70 (April 08 1970)? The Block Number is 2780930-340-1
The heads are a little more interesting they have a casting number 3418915 A and on the top side there is a J and on the bottom side that faces the block there is a U.
So yeah they have both a J and a U??
Any ideas? Not sure I may have missed something on this thread but I don't recall anything about two letters on each head.

Reviving an old thread once again!

340 head.jpg

340 head Casting Numbers.jpg

340 head U.jpg

340 head J.jpg

OK I just picked up a 340 the block has a casting date 4 8 70 (April 08 1970)? The Block Number is 2780930-340-1
The heads are a little more interesting they have a casting number 3418915 A and on the top side there is a J and on the bottom side that faces the block there is a U.
So yeah they have both a J and a U??
Any ideas? Not sure I may have missed something on this thread but I don't recall anything about two letters on each head.

Reviving an old thread once again!

View attachment 1715659739

View attachment 1715659740

View attachment 1715659741

View attachment 1715659742

They have 2.02 valves FWIW.

Yep 2..02
I paid $300 for the engine.
Good deal I believe?
Just was not sure about the J on top side and the U on the bottom side.
Thanks Rusty

They are J heads. The letter that "counts" is next to the sparkum plugs.

Plus it is a 1 I believe that is the first pour.
So it is said less core shift.

Plus it is a 1 I believe that is the first pour.
So it is said less core shift.
It needs rods and pistons. I
I'd say 300 for a usable 340 block is a great deal.
It does need rods and pistons. Haven't checked cylinder diameter yet. Hopefully enough material to punched it out one last time. I'll be taking it to machine shop late spring....
Curious can these be retrofitted with new cylinder sleeves?

FWIW, build you wood box big enough for the heads. Seal it good with silicone caulk. Put the head in. Pour enough white vinegar init to completely cover the head. In 24-48 hours, take it out and use a light plastic brush and a hose and brush and rinse the rust RIGHT off.

FWIW, build you wood box big enough for the heads. Seal it good with silicone caulk. Put the head in. Pour enough white vinegar init to completely cover the head. In 24-48 hours, take it out and use a light plastic brush and a hose and brush and rinse the rust RIGHT off.
Haha, you bet. They are a wee bit rusty. All the thread holes should be chased as well. I guess I'll be making my local machine shop happy. Lots of work need on this old beast

-
Back