340 with metal in oil pan

-
Its not a seat you can see the picture it is the top or bottom ring of a valve spring retainer keeper I have found many in the pan over the years even in the pick up screen.

Another of piston

image.jpg

To all you people who thought it was a valve seat.... how in the **** can it get in the oil pan without a hole in the m'fn piston...

Valve lock seemed possible, but they dont look missing in the pic.

So what about a piece of pin boss, or how about a ruler next to the debris so we can give a more educated guess here...it could very well be the bottom of the locks...they do look deep in the retainer

Last edited:
We had a set here with the bottoms of the keepers broke off on some of them. With the valves hitting the pistons like that the bounce probably put some stress on them over time. Years ago that was a trick they would do on 318's and 72-73 340's and 360's. I guess the builder here must have read that article and didn't take into thought of the 68-71 340 only having two valve reliefs per piston. **** happens. LOL

You can see in the pictures after looking close they are the bottoms.

Post #27.... looks like a different piston in the next hole.. or that next hole has the piston right side up. (I think I can see the edge of any eyebrow....)

Goodness....everything needs close inspection.

To all you people who thought it was a valve seat.... how in the **** can it get in the oil pan without a hole in the m'fn piston...
Yup....

Let's get pictures of all of the cylinders and the whole head(s) so we can see what is going on... Otherwise we may miss something...

also get a picture of both heads with the rocker arms removed... The whole head and then some close ups of areas that look different...

I just want to see what other carnage or tomfoolery is going on inside that motor :eek:

That thing has to come all the way down to the bones.

So what about a piece of pin boss, or how about a ruler next to the debris so we can give a more educated guess here...it could very well be the bottom of the locks...they do look deep in the retainer

Because the OP didn't POST A PICTURE OF A ******* PISTON.

That's why I hate pictures that are shot out of context, video with audio that is a best a guess.

The OP should have posted much more than he did. This is how bad information gets out there.

I was sittin back kinda snickerin about that myself. lol

Hahahaha...LMFAO.
THAT WAS FUNNY ! Cracked me up !

That's why I hate pictures that are shot out of context, video with audio that is a best a guess.

The OP should have posted much more than he did. This is how bad information gets out there.
W

what other pics you want I will send 100 pics if that’s what you need just looking for some advise not trying to start a pissing match

W

what other pics you want I will send 100 pics if that’s what you need just looking for some advise not trying to start a pissing match

Don't worry about yellow rose, he starts pissing matches with everyone.

At this point it doesn't really matter. That engine should be completely torn down and gone through. With that kind of damage, those kind of mistakes and that amount of metal floating around it should get a total rebuild.

At this point it doesn't really matter. That engine should be completely torn down and gone through. With that kind of damage, those kind of mistakes and that amount of metal floating around it should get a total rebuild.
Ok thanks appreciate the info already called machine shop taking down to bare block.

W

That wasn't directed at you. It's problematic with looking at pictures on a computer.

Had those of us who said its a valve seat insert seen the Pistons it would have brought another answer.

No I don't. But MO was WAY out of line with his comments. I'm not taking that **** from anyone.

Sure looks like the bottom of the keepers to me. Didn't someone state that in the begining? LOL Sure the motor should come apart. I would replace the pistons so that means new rods due to the fact their cheaper to buy then resize, Rods , pistons, bearings, Gasket kit, oil pump, heads are cheaper to buy then rebuild,

You probably have a good block and crank. And all the accessories needed to make a healthy 340. We just went down this road with a customers 340. He was a friend and we cut all corners to save money on the build. Good Edelbrock heads are $1300. price out Valves , Seats , Springs, Retainers, And then all the machine work to install those parts and resurface the heads. You'll get just as much into those heads and you still have 70's cast iron heads. Less then $4k everything new. That was with all the machine work and assembly.

20171022_134836.jpg

20171022_142108.jpg

20171022_142136.jpg

20171022_142221.jpg

20171028_132837.jpg

20171028_133005.jpg

20171028_133447.jpg

20171118_152652.jpg

20171126_164141.jpg

20171129_220759.jpg

Either you "missed" on matching the head to the piston or someone has been in there since the valve strike, those valves don't appear to have hit that piston. Sure you didn't flip something and take a picture of the wrong chamber on the head?
It is hard to say.... the valves may well be bent and we can't see it with that shot. No matter; it comes all apart.

The left hand rocker in that pix of the rockers looks really chewed on the left edge. And boy, yeah, those keepers look down deep. Wrong retainers? I've never had ones with the - offset so cannot say on that possibility.

Not to be discouraging, but be ready for a boatload of new parts OP. This looks to have been thrown together with whatever was laying around.

That wasn't directed at you. It's problematic with looking at pictures on a computer.

Had those of us who said its a valve seat insert seen the Pistons it would have brought another answer.

If you can't tell a valve seat from a valve retainer in any kind of picture it might be time for a visit to the eye doctor. That was very clearly a retainer, even without the dime sitting next to it for scale.

Sure looks like the bottom of the keepers to me. Didn't someone state that in the begining? LOL Sure the motor should come apart. I would replace the pistons so that means new rods due to the fact their cheaper to buy then resize, Rods , pistons, bearings, Gasket kit, oil pump, heads are cheaper to buy then rebuild,

You probably have a good block and crank. And all the accessories needed to make a healthy 340. We just went down this road with a customers 340. He was a friend and we cut all corners to save money on the build. Good Edelbrock heads are $1300. price out Valves , Seats , Springs, Retainers, And then all the machine work to install those parts and resurface the heads. You'll get just as much into those heads and you still have 70's cast iron heads. Less then $4k everything new. That was with all the machine work and assembly.

It is hard to say.... the valves may well be bent and we can't see it with that shot. No matter; it comes all apart.

The left hand rocker in that pix of the rockers looks really chewed on the left edge. And boy, yeah, those keepers look down deep. Wrong retainers? I've never had ones with the - offset so cannot say on that possibility.

Not to be discouraging, but be ready for a boatload of new parts OP. This looks to have been thrown together with whatever was laying around.

With valve strikes that heavy I'd be surprised if the valves would even sit down on the seat like they are in the pictures. I'm gonna stick with my original assessment that the engine has had things band-aided after those valve strikes, assuming we're looking at the right chamber.

There are a lot of parts to replace just based on what we've seen. But really, most of it is cheaper to replace than it is to recondition at this point anyway. Connecting rods are almost cheaper to replace, when you add in the benefits of the aftermarket rods it's a no-brainer. Same for the heads. By the time you clean them up, do a valve job, install new guides and hardware you've darn near paid for a new set of aluminum heads anyway.

-
Back