340 X heads ?

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a set of 71 340 X heads. The seller said they only need the valves replaced. He wants 500.00 for them. Is it a good price or is he asking too much? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!

If you have to replace the valves...you gotta grind the seats on the heads...and if the valves need replacing I bet the heads need new guides...and seals too...pretty quick you got over 1000 bucks invested..

Offer him 300...

and X heads were only available in 68-69....70 and later were J heads...

I think $500 is high for what is basically a set of unknown cores.

You can check the casting date to know when they were made.

If he says they only need valves...ask him if he will pay for anything above the cost of the replacement of the valves at the machine shop...LOL

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of buying eddies. Just didn't want to let a chance slip by if it was a good deal:)

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of buying eddies. Just didn't want to let a chance slip by if it was a good deal:)
good answer.
unless you need numbers matching , this is pretty high.
i'd consider 500 for a set that was ready to run , but no way for cores.

500 is kinda high for a set of X heads that need to be redone....I have a set of X heads for sale that are machine shop fresh, maganafluxed, with all new guides, and harden'd seats, stock springs, no porting, for 700.00. Ican say you would likely have 350.00 to 400.00 in haveing them redone at a machine shop.

There was a set of X heads at a swap meet last weekend for $250 and I passed (already have a set).

I wouldnt buy them you can spend a tad more and get ready to run heads.

Id sell you a set of j heads that need nothing and have around 2500 miles on them. They have the large valve but have never been ported or polished. They are on my car and run great and will flow the same as a X head. 500 bucks plus shipping

If you have to replace the valves...you gotta grind the seats on the heads...and if the valves need replacing I bet the heads need new guides...and seals too...pretty quick you got over 1000 bucks invested..

Offer him 300...

and X heads were only available in 68-69....70 and later were J heads...
my 71 duster came from factory with 340 X block and X heads....

What is the year stamp on the block? I am betting it is 70's left over stock or it is not original to the car.
didnt know how to read the dates back then,..i was 2nd owner,had 42,000 miles on it when i got it...never went in to it ether but seen the 340X cast in the block with my own eyes an the X marks on the heads....doubt the lady that i got it from ever hurt it ether!

Ah, the sarcasm is deep on the board today... bravo!

Lots of stuff got wasted back then.

x block from the factory....must one of none...since the x blocks were not made in early 70s....

as far as I know all X blocks were 318s and had to be bored to 340.
so geting a X block with 340 stamped on it would not happen.
But I do not know everything . LOL. Just what I read, and that is not
always correct.

70 340 6 pac... 2.02 TA J heads.....from the factory...Car was built in April 1970.....probably out of X heads by then.......X blocks had 318 casting on them also....

70aarcuda, my 70 heads were U heads and not J. I wound up selling them for 900. BTW, just bought a pair of J heads a month ago with 202's for 35 bucks complete with double valve springs and rockers :)

ant sayin yall wrong,..but i know what i had!! wish i still had it to! like i said,..i was 2nd owner,bought it from a lady,tittle was dated 2/71 in her name!! 340 wedge car with pistol grip 4 speed 8 3/4 3:91 geard with no power steering or brake but front disc small bolt pattern....burnt orange black int with buckets,..shark tooth grill...with 340X cast in the side of the block,..X heads!!! im no mopar guru,.but i got perfect vision an a damn good memory!!

I believe the 340 X block was an early Direct Connection race block sold over the counter and was replaced by the R3 block yet, were a better quality than the R series. If you google this you'll more than likely that this block came out in the late 70's. Of course I could be wrong but than again I was in my 30's during the 70's

CrackedBack has a set. 3 bones,valves,included. There's a post. The man,stsnd up honest. Check it out.

CrackedBack has a set. 3 bones,valves,included. There's a post. The man,stsnd up honest. Check it out.

Thanks, for the mention.

One issue is shipping. It's around $90-100 to ship 100# across the country.

I've got a set that are complete and another bare set. I believe the ones with valves are sold pending payment.

Honest, if I was going to use factory iron, I'd look for the 73-74 587 heads, then the 915's. I've got a couple sets of 915's for sale too.

70aarcuda, my 70 heads were U heads and not J. I wound up selling them for 900. BTW, just bought a pair of J heads a month ago with 202's for 35 bucks complete with double valve springs and rockers :)

Yes..mine are U also...but they are the same thing as a J head...

-
Back