350 to 360-doable?

-

justthatguy

Josh(69 Valiant)
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a jaguar xjs with a 350/700r4 in it that is roached, it had blown head gaskets and sparkly oil. I happen to have two good 5.9 magnums and a 46rh sitting at the farm, and my question is since the two engines are similar in size and mounting location, is there anyone that makes a sbc to la engine mount? It’s already set up and wired for the v8 so it shouldn’t be too bad to just plug it up, provided I can find a mounting solution.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing the big problem will be the same one that caused Chrysler to cancel the Sunbeam Tiger when Chrysler bought Rootes Group — the small block Mopar has the distributor at the back of the block. In the Sunbeam, the back of the small block Ford engine is tucked under the cowl — the distributor would have under the cowl at the base of the windshield, completely inaccessible if it had fit at all. Looking at the Jaguar setup, would the distributor be accessible? It's possible it would, since the original Jaguar V12 was a very tall and long engine. But it's one thing to look at.

As far as motor mounts, most swaps go the other way, so I suspect you're on your own. But I assume somebody had to fab the Chevy mounts for the Jaguar in the first place.

I'm guessing the big problem will be the same one that caused Chrysler to cancel the Sunbeam Tiger when Chrysler bought Rootes Group — the small block Mopar has the distributor at the back of the block. In the Sunbeam, the back of the small block Ford engine is tucked under the cowl — the distributor would have under the cowl at the base of the windshield, completely inaccessible if it had fit at all. Looking at the Jaguar setup, would the distributor be accessible? It's possible it would, since the original Jaguar V12 was a very tall and long engine. But it's one thing to look at.

As far as motor mounts, most swaps go the other way, so I suspect you're on your own. But I assume somebody had to fab the Chevy mounts for the Jaguar in the first place.
The sbc that was in it had it in the back as well. It looks to me like the sbc mounts pulled it forward to clear the distributor. I’m wondering if I can’t just modify the k frame side of the mount since they appear to be almost in exactly the same spot, just mopar clamshell to Chevy frame mount.

I remember seeing a Chevy Astro van in the 90's at the Mopar Nationals, everyone wondered why it was there until he popped the hood, had a small block Chrysler in it and said it pretty much bolted in!

That's right, I was thinking of Fords. It could be as simple as just drilling four holes in piece of 1/4" stock, to use to laterally compensate for the position of the mounting studs.

Just spitballing here-
The SBC uses flat plate mounts on the side of the engine block. Guess what? So does the Magnum. (in addition to the 340/360 ear mounts).
You could probably just drill a flat 1/4" plate to accommodate the Chevy and Magnum mount patterns. You'll just need to come up with a trans mount plan.
*Edit- You beat me to it!*

Just spitballing here-
The SBC uses flat plate mounts on the side of the engine block. Guess what? So does the Magnum. (in addition to the 340/360 ear mounts).
You could probably just drill a flat 1/4" plate to accommodate the Chevy and Magnum mount patterns. You'll just need to come up with a trans mount plan.
*Edit- You beat me to it!*

it more than likely already has a universal trans crossmember, so it would probably just be a matter of "adjusting" that. the 46 will work with a chevy biscuit mount.

probably a pound to fit, paint to match job here.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll just go on and piss everybody off.......put an LS in it. The 700R4 stays in the same place and motor mount kits are available for LS to a JagYouAre. Conversion kits for wiring are cheap on LS swaps.

Ok, I'll just go on and piss everybody off.......put an LS in it. The 700R4 stays in the same place and motor mount kits are available for LS to a JagYouAre. Conversion kits for wiring are cheap on LS swaps.
i mean, that would be the reasonable course of action...

but seeing as that we are mopar people, we lack all reason. besides, he's already got the magnum motor and trans. so, pull up a few cases a beer and call up some buddies and make a weekend of it is what i say!

Break out the torch and welder! A few small plates of steel to fab up a mount and your in!

There used to be kits on the market years back to install BB-Chevy and Chrysler engines into the Jags.

I would look into a ditributorless after mkt system, or explore using the dist base to trigger an aftermarket multi coil packs like the magnums ?

I have the entire harness for the truck the engine came out of, eventually the plan is efi, the jag is already set up for a high pressure feed and return from the factory. I had intended to do this with the crossfire manifold from the 350 or maybe an lt1, however I already have the magnum and I don’t want to screw with figuring out how to carburete an lt1. Essentially the only thing I’d need to buy is a hei mopar distributor, magnum carb intake and maybe an oil pan. I already have everything else needed to make the engine run. Guesstimating on the driveshaft, if the length is close I can get a conversion joint. I just know I’ll be more inclined to fix it if it’s associated with mopar lol

I’m thinking I can probably get away with just a plate to adapt the mopar mount to the Chevy mount. I’ll know more when I actually get to working on it.

In Switzerland they put a 340 into a Jaguar in 1972 - professionally:

Wagen des Jahres | Garage Schmidli Züri

1FrontJagXJV81969-Kopie.jpg

4JagMotor340SVL18.jpg

4MotorraumFeb2017VR19.jpg

So...did this ever get done? :D

Might be worth using an adapter plate and the (much smaller) TH700 rather than the 46RH. Actually...might the 700 have a removeable bell? If so, I think someone (SST...maybe...?) makes a Mopar bell for it. (Though that might only be the 4L60E.)

-
Back