354 Hemi in 1973 scamp???

-

440scamp

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone has attempted this swap and how much work?????? grandpa cleaned out his garage and forgot he had a rebuilt hemi sittin on an engine stand so he asked if i wanted it and of course i said YES!!!! so the plan is to put it in the scamp........

How cool is that.

Let's see.....Hmmm, this garage is such a mess, I think I'll clean it out...hey, lo and behold!...A rebuilt hemi I forgot I had.....lucky bastard. LOL.

it was great grandpas garage and noone has been in there since he passed away a couple years ago and he owned 2 junk yards one in pinole CA and one in Sonoma CA if youve ever watched the movie American Graffiti when milner jumps the fence at the wrecking yard that was my great grandapas but the movie was shot there just before he bought the wrecking yard in sonoma.!!!! there is actually alot of parts in that garage some old chevy stuff and alot of old ford stuff my grandpa thinks the hemi was someone elses but great grandpa rebuilt it for someone else unless he had a project my grandpa didnt know about.......

I'm working on a simular project, a 354 into a 72 duster. Good luck with the swap, paw automotive and hothemiheads sells alot of stuff for that engine, adapters and what not to use the more modern transmissions. there's also a 68 dart running a early hemi, so check that out as well.

How heavy are thos old hemis? They look like they weigh a ton.

A big block would be easier, make more power and perhaps be lighter. And a whole lot cheaper (you could probably trade that 354 for a 440).

Not that you couldn't, but why would you want to.

the early 354's and 392's weigh in at about 750 pounds, the 440 comes in just under at 700 (i think that's right) this is with heads and all internal workings. The big block will make more power, but, the hemi would look soo much cooler :) If I were you, i'd either drop that bad boy into the car, it will take some work to get it in there, or find a 392. those 392's made 380 hp from the factory, and can very easily make alot of power, infact before the 426, these things ruled the strips. A well built early hemi will hold it's own in the A-bodies.

Good luck either way!

Mike

i have a 440 for the car already but I was just thinkin how cool it would look opening the hood at the shows and seeing all the jaws drop when the see a 73 scamp with a hemi especially cause i kept the outside fairly stock basin street blue with 14" hub caps..... thanks for the replies guys....

it might cost more, but you are right about the look of a HEMI, big or small they are all COOL

DO IT! and if you have a 440 in it now and willing to spend the money what a car. Most people would not know the difference of a 354 or a 426. Yes I know, but most don't

That Thing Got A HEMI?

-
Back