360 974 heads which roller rockers fit?

-

mopar_persson

Body Bag
Reaction score
hello i have two 974 360 heads with stainless steel valves 2,02 and 1,60.

the heads have been ported and someone has milled down the mounts to the rocker arms on the heads, why does anyone do that?

anyone have a solution to what I can use for rockers??
I think the guy I bought the heads of said they was chevy valves in them

pic

These are 75-76 heads,and have been open up a bunch and the exhaust cross over blocked from what I see.Now are all the pedestals at the same height? or are they different,can,t tell by photo.What springs are on the heads,single with damper or double or triple springs ?mrmopartech

It would appear that a previous owner had plans on making custom rocker shaft stands for the rocker system. It is done when the rocker arms don't cover the valve tip properly. If you must use these heads, I would take the heads and a shaft rocker system of your choice to a machinist that understands proper rocker arm geometry and have him build you some stands that locate your rocker arms at the correct height for the valve length.

It's that or another set of heads.

The first B/RB engines had a similar aluminum pillow block system on the heads. Maybe the person who milled the stands was going to use the early big block pillow blocks.

This is similar to what you would need, except using standard rockers, not offset like W-2's have. But another problem is the fact that they make different heights and offset shafts & blocks, depending on the valve stem height. It was usually used for the much taller W-2 race valves. Harland sharp has been doing this for a long time. But you'll have to figure out what combination of parts you will need to get the geometry and contact patch you need.

Gotta watch the rocker-to- retainer clearance as well, especially if the shafts don't get offset away from the valves.

Attachments

• w2k.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
-
Back