360 build in a 66 Cuda

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
OK I have the motor now and have started to gather parts!

So far I have :

-22,500 mile 1975 360
-1975 Jheads (974 Casting)
-Holley 670 Street Avenger
-Weiand Action Plus Highrise Dual plane intake
-Comp Cams XE 262 H Camshaft
-Comp Cams Lifter Set
-MSD 6a
-Mopar electronic distributor from the 360

Sticker on the valve cover designates this as a school bus Engine? Does this mean anything Special/Different from a regular 360?

I am not really building a race car, mostly a driver with the occasional friday night appearance at the "Secret Street" Drags in my city, or perhaps some braket type stuff (perhaps 5-6 trips to the strip in a summer).

For my own personal satisfaction, the first 200ft from the light, is probably where I find most important.

as for gearing, my rear is currently housing 3.21 (I think)gears in a 8.25 rear end. this rear end seems a little to high of RPM's with the current slant at highway speeds. Wille my rpm's drop much at 110 km/hr with the v-8?

I am planning on using my converter from the slant A-904, as I hear this would be an inprovement over a stock V-8 one is this true?

Still trying to figure out the exhaust thing (Really hoping Harold from Spitfire returns my call), may have to go with the "Laysons" set.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestion on what I should do different?

IF those valve covers came off that motor, it may have extra cooling passages. i really dunno

If you don't plan on doing a lot of freeway driving, you might up the gear in the rear to a 3.55. Also, you can look for a low 1st gear for the 904. Sounds like you are on the right track. Hope you are updating the brakes to make that thing stop as well.

Got any pics?

Look at the engine number on the front of the block. If it came out of a bus it will likely say 360-3. The -3 engines were the factory HD truck motors. What does that mean to you? Not much. You may have the extra steam/water holes on the deck. Otherwise, perhaps exhaust valve rotators and a steel cam sprocket. You're not gonna be reusing most of that stuff so it matters not. You didn't mention compression, are you replacing the pistons? Either way that cam should give you a boatload of grunt in a 360, perfect for a tall gear like the 3.23's.

Get a real converter, don't use the worn out /6 converter. You are using a later 904 trans right? Didn't the spline count change in 68?

The standard gears for a mid 60's /6 A-Body were 3.23's and if it is the original rear, its a 7 1/4 (the 8 1/4 came out in 74 for A-Bodies, and will have the big bolt pattern). The 7 1/4 will "howl in protest" behind a 360, especially a mild cammed stump puller like you seem to be building. It'll hold up on the street for a while, but will be decidedly fragile if you drive aggressively.

RPM will not drop with a V-8 if you change nothing else. In fact if you recycle the converter, they will be slightly higher due to increased input torque. If you plan do do any freeway work (80+mph cruising) 3.23's are about perfect, and I wouldn't consider going deeper than 3.55's. A low gear set and a good converter should help you move off the line.

OK Rear is an 8.25 for sure, and has BBP.

Can't answer questions about the 904 yet, as I have not gone to pick it up from Muller yet.

The valve covers are from the motor, the motor came out of a dodge 1 ton truck.

I will put up some pics of the motor next week (it is in my dad's garage right now)

I am planning on keeping the stock pistons, that is why I went with this cam (On FABO members advise)

Get a real converter, don't use the worn out /6 converter. You are using a later 904 trans right? Didn't the spline count change in 68?

The tranny was replaced with a rebuilt unit this spring, and a "new" converter was part of the package. assuming that the converter was/is not worn out will it be an advantage?

if I was to go with a new converter what stall speed would you reccomend?

IMG_1861.JPG.jpg

Off the top of my head I would say something similar to the converter a 340 car would have had. That is, 2200-2400 RPM. My recommendation would be to call a converter manufacturer or two and see what they think would work best.

Robb the stall speed is usually determined by the size of the cam. Your 262 cam isn't a high RPM cam so you don't need a real high stall but something around 2200-2300 will give a real nice seat of the pants kick on take off and not affect everyday driving and not destroy the fuel mileage too bad either.

Like Chief said they changed the spline count in 68 so make sure and count the input shaft spline so you get order the right one unless you know for sure the year of your trans.

Sorry Chief. Didn't mean to repeat you. I had this page loaded up earlier and started to reply then got sidetracked and came back and replied and then yours was there.

Spent a little time in my old mans garage last night.Took off the 727, and got the motor up on the stand.

I also just got off the phone wiht Harold from Spitfire, and he says he is building another run of Early a headers next week. he should be able to have them to me in about 2-3 weeks!!!!! He is sending them to me for $235 including shipping to Canada.

Got confirmation from Schumacher that my mounts were shiped this morning!

Harold called and said my headers are built. I overnighted him the money on Wednesday, so hopefuilly he ships on Friday! (No COD in Canada :( )

Picked up my cam and lifters on Wednesday as well. We are getting Close..... very close!!!!!!

Now I just need to find time to get out to Coaldale to see Muller to get the tranny!!!

Robb

you could have got a little more power fro ma xe268 from an article that i seen with a 360 with 7.8.1 compression they made 335hp flywheel

-Weiand Action Plus Highrise Dual plane intake

If it's a new intake you better make sure that it will fit!!! Worst POS I ever bought. I returned mine and got a Eddy.

Can you elaborate on the firment issues?

I have set it on top on the heads, but have not tried to bolt it down yet!

I thought they were a respected company?

OK I have started to put everything back together, and I have noticed something possibly of conscern with the intake manifold. There are two crescent shaped openings ath the top center of each head that are exposed when using the new manifold (Weiand 8007) it appeard this area was coverd by the choke housing on the old manifold.

thats normal. im not sure what those are for but they wont leak anything. they usually just grab anything that you may drop!

The keep the exhaust crossover from baking the floor of the rocker chamber, and heating the valve springs. A lot of other engines use a water jacket to do the same thing.

The motor is almost ready to go in. I am waiting on two parts; The headers from Harold at spitfire (apparently he messed up on the customs documents and they are on the way back to AK) and a center sump oilpan that i've got lined up though FABO within a couple hours drive. (Thanks DARTNUT) So hopefully she will be in before the snow flies (Probably just jinxed myself)

Got the fuel lines all put together. Why dont they make Braided hoses in standard lengths already assembled? :banghead: that is one hell of a job!

IMAGE_030.jpg

IMAGE_028.jpg

IMAGE_027.jpg

Also got the valve covers all painted up and sanded the fins etc.

Before:

IMAGE_018.jpg

After:

IMAGE_031.jpg

Cant wait to drive it, it is starting to at least look fast!!!!:thumrigh:

Getting a bit Closer, I have 1 of the headders from Harold, apparently the other one got lost in the Christmas Rush. He has sent me a relacement, that should be here is a week or so!

Passenger side header:

IMAGE_053.jpg

IMAGE_054.jpg

-
Back