360 C.I. into '65 dodge dart a-body?

-

jeffrey356

Reaction score
Wondering if dodge offered a 360 c.i. for the 1965 dodge dart. I want to install a 360 into my '65 dart. I'm not sure it will fit. I noticed that mopar magazine offers motor mounts for a 360 install. I have a 225 c.i. slant six that will probably expire in the next year or two. Wondering if I can rebuild the 225 c.i. with .060 over on each cylinder. Is it to thin a cylinder wall for the slant 6. If so, can I go .030 over on the cylinders. If not, can I fit a 360 c.i. into my '65 dart. jeffrey356

no..the 360 was not available until somewhere around 70-71 year....

The 360 wasn't produced in 65, so no.

But, you can with some work put it in there, motor mounts etc. it will fit.

Use the search function here and study up. The /6 to v-8 swap has been done here many times. Pettybludart turned his 66 into a fire breathing race car. Here's his thread:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=50402

Memike is swapping a 360 into his 66 Valiant as we speak. I don't believe he has dropped the engine in yet he is getting close. Follow along with him for more info:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=41794

These are just a couple swaps and there have been dozens more. tmm

Since the 273 was available, and fits, then the 360, being exactly the same exterior dimensions, fits as well.

I Believe it's all in the oil pan as to whether it fits or not! I know it needs to be a car pan!

You also need the old 273 left exhaust manifold or a custom set of headers...

Also the 273 v-8 center link for the 64-66 a-bodies so the oil pan and steering linkage don't meet...

And of course the transmission doesn't bolt up to a 360. THe 65 driveshaft is a ball and trunion style and should be replaced with a standard u-joint style shaft. The 7 1/4" rear end will last a few weeks behind a 360 and should be replaced with at least a 8 1/4 from a later model car. The 8 3/4" rear is recommended. You sure you still want to do this swap? I could sell you my 66 Dart and it already has a HP273 and a 4 speed and 8 3/4" rear end.

. I want to install a 360 into my '65 dart.
(1) buy a pair of 64-66 A body 273 mtr mts (just need the metal mts as you can use your /6 insulators but most used sets for sale that you might purchase do come with insulators) and hold em up to the 360 block & you'll see where to weld an ear & drill (1) hole in it, when you get there you'll see how easy it is. (2) a B&M 10239 flex plate (3) a SB 904 trans (get or add part throttle kickdown) (4) a "392" center sump 360 oil pan & matching pickup (has a long smooth bend) (5) early (iron) or later (alum) water pump depending on which side the rad lower nipple is & you might be upgrading the radiator from what is in there now. (6) not a dealbreaker but its alot easier to time it if the t covers' timing marks are on the opposite side of where the hose/nipple is. (7) the 273 logs are very restrictive & reportedly the magnum manis can be made to work & you absolutely want the 92/early 93 ones that have a 2&5/16 outlet as opposed to the later ones which are 1&7/8 which is what the 273 restricted logs are.

392 pan & the pickup for it has a sharp bend not a long smooth bend as I posted above. I had my info turned around.

-
Back