360 HP heads?

-

bayyum

Reaction score
why are 360 HP heads black? what kind are they? whats so special about them?

P.S. the 360 HP is outta a 74 duster

the guy says that they are originally black, and he's never seen anything like it. but he has never had the head off either...

what kind of marking are on the head....or casting numbers...

if they are the original heads off a 74 360...they are not special.

The only black HP 360 heads would probably be the swirl port heads starting in 88-93 I think and the magnum swirl port heads in 94 to present.

he lives 5 hours away so, we cant do that tonight.. i'll ask him to do it when he goes back home on wednesday

No such thing as a 360HP if it's originally painted black. There were the 360 4bbls from the Lil Red trucks and the Volarie Road Runners and Aspen RTs... but they were blue. There would have been 3602bbls, 360 4bbls, and eventually 360 EFI that were black but they all used the same basic heads. In fact, all the 340/360 heads are basically the same and perform very close to each other in stock form.

Sounds like my friend from HS that thought his Cutlass was special because the air cleaner said "Rocket 350". It was a 2 barrel.

Were any Mopar engines originally ever painted black?

Was just wondering if some Chevy guy had come across an old '80s 318 4bbl cop car and found out that it was 360 heads on it. Gotta think like a Chevy guy for a moment: 318 with 360 heads on a cop car must equal some kind of special High Performance head. So, of course, they'd be the head to use on all small block Mopars, right? Bolt 'em on and go, leave 'em black to make sure people asked about 'em then you could dazzle 'em with your brilliance...(or baffle 'em with your bulls***)

The only way heads came painted is when they were brand spankin new on the car. Certain years came in certain colors.

I think everything went black in terms of V8s in '87. Black hides seaping leaks better and sheds heat better than a colored paint. Also after 80 I dont think there were any 360cars. Even the Diplomat cruisers of the mid 80s had 318 4bbls.

I think everything went black in terms of V8s in '87. Black hides seaping leaks better and sheds heat better than a colored paint. Also after 80 I dont think there were any 360cars. Even the Diplomat cruisers of the mid 80s had 318 4bbls.

Yup. The 360 disappeared in pass. car usage in the late 1980 seems like. From 1981 up the cop engines were 318-4bbl optioned (some municipalities, though did get slant sixes and 318 2bbls. I have seen one of each, decoding as cop cars. Light duty usage in town, no need for "pursuit," used as meter maids, code enforcement, etc.)

http://www.dippy.org/upgrade/dipcop.html

More info on the cops from '81 up.

-
Back