360 La build ideas!

-

Canyon

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post here but i've been a lurker for quite some time.
I have a 84 small block 360 in my 1974 dodge dart swinger and I really want to do something to the motor this winter! I have a few ideas i was hoping you guys could help me choose one, or give me some ideas. I have considered a big block, a roots blower on forged bottom end of the 360, a 408-412 stroker na or blown as well if i can get compression low enough, or forged bottom end with either one big turbo or twins! But really my goals are pretty low since it will be my first build ever. I would like maybe 500hp to the ground, of course i'd like to keep it as cheap as possible (18, right out of highscool) but am open to any route to get there. I live in Utah so i'm a little higher up so the hp goal may be difficult to reach, but i'm not sure i've never build a motor! But really any suggestions are welcome, if you need any info from me feel free to ask and hopefully i'll get back quick!
Thanks guys! :burnout:

-First off, Welcome aboard!

As for your build, whats your goals with it? Any of us that have a little knowledge might be able to better steer you in the right direction, on expense of build (spending amount), goals to what your seeking to do achieve with it, (Horsepower, torque output in the end) and drive train beef-up to handle the power the engine is producing. ALSO transmission, what one you have to work with?

Naturally, NONE of this is gonna be cheap, after-all it is a Mopar......

Hopefully someone here has done the same as your looking to do.

You mentioned a 408 -412 Stroker, you know that be an easy build, no less buy they're out there, all depending on what your willing to spend to make it happen!

LMAO @ Cayon. You have only one thing in mind, POWER! And that's great. But zero experience & direction. What is it you want to do? Listen to this bit of advice, "Make a plan and stick with it. Changing plans becomes (super) expensive."

Your just out of high school asking advice on how to do a 20K engine build cheap. (Done right of course. Then again, there's always cheap junk yard stuff that may last a week or a year.........

Listen to this bit of advice, "Make a plan and stick with it. Changing plans becomes (super) expensive."

This ^^

Definitely pick a BUDGET and a direction and stick with it.

500 to the ground? That will be a pricey build.

Canyon try out the search feature in the small block portion of the forum, this has been covered multiple times. :) 500hp as a statistic is feasible with a stock stroke 360. Read some of the small block threads

500. sheesh. 500 to the ground! Double sheesh! And on a 360 yet. What have you been smoking? Sure it's doable, but the cash don't grow in the garden.

Tell you what; That 74 is a bit porky, so put a stockish BB in it and go drive the rubber off it. Cheap and effective. The BB torque will keep you smiling 'til you have a big enough pile of money to build that 360 up.
When that day comes, common back. There are a few guys here who know how to make that kind of hp/in.

If you think we're being snotty to you, it's partly cuz we wish we had the coin to do that, and partly because we're warming you up to hear what Rusty has to say.

500. sheesh. 500 to the ground! Double sheesh! And on a 360 yet. What have you been smoking? Sure it's doable, but the cash don't grow in the garden.

Hey he's young, he's gotta start somewhere.

Might as well dream big, no?

I know I sure do, but my wallet doesn't match my dreams.

Hey he's young, he's gotta start somewhere.

Might as well dream big, no?

I know I sure do, but my wallet doesn't match my dreams.

Well I think i have the funds to do it and I get a good deal on parts. I just wanted ideas even just combinations to cheap builds that will make good power. I mean i want 500 to the tires but like i said i don't know how realistic it is since i've never built a motor to make power. I have enough experience to put the whole thing together as I rebuilt the stock motor thats in it. I just want to make enough to stand a chance against the kids my age with stock 4 bangers with giant turbo's on em!

Why? Would be my first question. That's a lot of power your looking at 600 gross hp.
Just the chassis and brake work needed for that power level would probably kill your budget. Have you ever even drove cars close to that power to weight level. A 5.0 liter mustangs used to be the hot ticket and barely made over 200 hp.

Natural aspirated engine your looking at heads that can flow well over 300 cfms and lots of $$$$ to used them. A 500 cid big block would be the best choice for that. But to be more budget friendly you'll need some kind of power adder, cheapest would be a 400 hp 360 with 200 hp of Nos

If this is your first build, might I suggest a 340 style 360? Then you can move up from there. Big money parts get very expensive when you tear them up making first time build mistakes.

360 cores are easy and cheap to find. My advice is build a mild one first, while learning how everything comes apart and goes back together. You will be surprised how much power a mild 360 can make. I mean real power, not magazine power.

Run that for a while, gathering parts for your next, more in depth build.

Well I think i have the funds to do it and I get a good deal on parts. I just wanted ideas even just combinations to cheap builds that will make good power. I mean i want 500 to the tires but like i said i don't know how realistic it is since i've never built a motor to make power. I have enough experience to put the whole thing together as I rebuilt the stock motor thats in it. I just want to make enough to stand a chance against the kids my age with stock 4 bangers with giant turbo's on em!

Do you know what 500 horse power to the ground really even feels like, or are you simply spouting things you heard and read?

You would be surprised what an honest 300 flywheel horse power will do in a light car with the right converter, transmission and gear.

Do what RRR suggests and build a 'mild' 360. Put the rest of your money and emphasis on gears, trans, converter and BRAKES. once done you have a badass ride that wont embarrass you and the car will be ready when you build a twin turbo, blown, injected, nitrous monster...

As far as the turbo rice burners (and I have rallied thousands of stage miles behind a 250-275 HP turbo Mistu 2.6L 4G54)...... the ones that don't quickly blow up are probably at the 10 lb per HP range in weight to engine power ratio, maybe as good as 8.5 lb per HP. For your car to match or beat that, you are looking at the 350 HP range out of the engine (not at the tires), 400 HP tops. And you will have a broader torque curve and no turbo lag. THAT is much more doable than the 600 HP out of the engine that you think you need, and is what RRR any everyone is trying to aim you at.

Also, with a RWD car, if you are drag racing, you can easily set the suspension for some good weight transfer to the rear wheels to win in the tractoin department, while they are fighting to keep weight on their FWD tires. You have an easy task if you listen.

-
Back