360 magnum questions

-

Madhatter1776

Reaction score
ok, I picked up a 360 roller mag block out of a 96 ram that I intend to build up for my 75 duster, I also have a set of J heads I want to use for it, can I, also what parts can I use from the 360 la that is in the car now? now I am taking my time with this as I want to build it up good, so right now I think I want to keep it carbureted os I think as long as I use an LA intake the heads should be fine, anything I need to know up front? Thanks in advanced

The magnum does not have oiling passages for the J heads. It would be better to use the magnum heads and get the matching intake. I hope your magnum heads aren't cracked. It is a common problem but there are beefier after market replacements.

start here:
http://www.magnumswap.com/

Best bang for the buck alot of people are using, are the Engine Quest heads ch318b(magnum heads with LA intake pattern)

Do your self a favor and spend some serious time researching the forums here........it will help in the long run.

No, I don't even have the heads, I did not know that there was that much of a differance, I was going to build up the Magnum then swap it into the car, I have the stock heads from the 360 in the car, also the J's so I did not take them.

Sorry to butt in. If anybody needs a set of Magnum heads i have one set left. They are gasket match and bowl ported hot tanked and magnaflux. ( bare heads only )........
Ill let them go cheap so don't just sit around. let me know... Thanks..............

Some of the early Magnums have the oil passage for the head You just lay the LA head gasket on the pins & drill the hole

pm sent to Dodge 74, also is it really worth the swap? advantage dis advantage?

You wouldn't want use l.a heads even if you could as the magnums have a much smaller dual quench combustion chamber and a filled in exhaust floor similar to the w2 ex.Cheaper rocker arms/not better though but for street its a bonus.

The engine swap gives you a the advantages of the Magnum engine
Head design
Roller Cam
Lighter rotating assembly
More power 245 HP at 4800 rpm or something like that with FI that quits at 5000 rpm
300 HP when you convert to carb easily achieved

If you do a head swap to an LA you gain compression,flow & superior design over any stock LA head & the Magnum heads accept roller valve train cheaper & easier than the LA head Magnum heads use 1.6 instead of 1.48-.5 ratio on the rockers which makes your LA cam lift # higher

Mgnaum is a win,win engine swap..They use thinner rings for less friction..Nodular iron cranks,roller cams and cheap chevy rocker arms..Plus as was stated true 1.6 rocker arm ratio which equal a good deal more lift for the same cam vs the la rockers +/- 1.4 ratio.Another bonus is the intake bolts straight down,easier to change intakes..

-
Back