360 or 318 torque converter

-

kickywow

Reaction score
where are the weights on a torque for a 360, i know 318 is balanced internally, but where are the weights on a 360 converter, i have a spare tranny and converter but dont know where to look?

Nick

if you have a link that says it that will help too!

where are the weights on a torque for a 360, i know 318 is balanced internally, but where are the weights on a 360 converter, i have a spare tranny and converter but dont know where to look?

Nick

if you have a link that says it that will help too!

I don't know how a TC works, but a Flywheel has holes drilled out of it to counter balance. 318 fly has no holes, and 340-360 has holes on the back.

It may be better to find part #'s because all TC's may have wheights. Sometimes you have to add wheights to make something neutral.

I would like to know the answer to this though.

Phil

the weights are on the same side as the lugs....

tomorrow morning we will look, i will look at mine before coming out to see the difference

The weights are located on the flat face of the converter, around the other circumference. generally approximate 1/2" wide by 1-1-1/2" long and maybe a 1/4" thick.

If it is a non lock up converter, the weights will be located on each side of the drain plug. On a lock up, it is a large triangular weight that is hard to miss.

can you stick a 340 in a car that had a 318 in it without changing anything on the transmission?

can you stick a 340 in a car that had a 318 in it without changing anything on the transmission?

Yes as long as it is not a 73 or late 72 cast crank engine. Which can be identified by the balancer on the front which states "For 340 cast crank only"

-
Back