360 Pushrods??

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
What length pushrods are you using on 360 with stock non-adjustable valve train and hydraylic cam. When I used 7.50" there was no pre-load. I found longer 7.520 and used them, but the engine still ticks because the preload is incorrect. One of my engine books, say that 7.534 pushrods are used on 360 engines, but Summit and Jegs just list 7.50 pushrods for 318/360 engine. Engine has Comp 280H magnum cam and 547 heads. :read2:
Thanks

What length pushrods are you using on 360 with stock non-adjustable valve train and hydraylic cam. When I used 7.50" there was no pre-load. I found longer 7.520 and used them, but the engine still ticks because the preload is incorrect. One of my engine books, say that 7.534 pushrods are used on 360 engines, but Summit and Jegs just list 7.50 pushrods for 318/360 engine. Engine has Comp 280H magnum cam and 547 heads. :read2:
Thanks

Depends on what has been done to your heads etc. If they have been milled and or the deck squared, you will need to use a push rod length checking tool to verify the correct size. After you figure that out call SMITH BROS PUSHRODS and they will hook you up.

I use whatever I need to get .030-.040 preload. I have yet to need customs, but they are a way out if you know what you need. What is the preload on them and did you check all of them?

I didn't check preload. I measured and used the longest of pushrods I had. They were in the range of 7.525 to 7.530. When I tried 7.50, they were loose with no preload. How do you actually check for pushrod length and preload?
Can this now be done we an assembled engine?

How do you actually check for pushrod length and preload?
Preload can be done with a dial indictor and pushrod length can be checked with a caliper if you have one long enough. Places like Huges or Comp cams sells push rods that adjust with measurement markings on them.

Can this now be done we an assembled engine?
Yep! But if the intake is removed, it'll be alot easier to see that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam where it needs to be for a measurement.

-
Back