360 questions

-

cuda302

Reaction score
Ok I have a buddy with a 360 out of a 2000 dodge dakota rt and he is selling the motor. I was interested in it as I am looking for a motor to shoehorn into my 65 barracuda. So the question is can i convert the efi engine to a carbarated motor? If so what would make this possible.

intake manifold....carb...and regular distributor..

next question.....what transmission are you going to use?

As long as it's a solid engine, you'll be good. What 70aarcuda said is correct as far as the conversion to a carbureted engine.

I'm not the one to ask as far as putting it in a 65'? Just make sure you get the proper info as far as the trans hookup/driveshaft is concerned for your swap.

Just a thought for down the road, a cam upgrade will make a huge difference in your power production, if that's what your looking for...

As long as it's a solid engine, you'll be good. What 70aarcuda said is correct as far as the conversion to a carbureted engine.

I'm not the one to ask as far as putting it in a 65'? Just make sure you get the proper info as far as the trans hookup/driveshaft is concerned for your swap.

Just a thought for down the road, a cam upgrade will make a huge difference in you power production, if that's what your looking for...

Yea that's why I'm coming for help lol. And yes I do plan to cam the motor

Yes. That's a good intake.

Yes. I've no idea whether that's a "good" manifold or not Vertical manifold bolt holes are the key

Same intake works great on my stock 5.2, 600 Edelbrock, and Hedman tight tube headers...

Just asking ! Does your 2000 engine have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump ?

IF your thinking mechanical fuel pump, the mechanical fuel pump will require the LA timing chain cover (LA front, 91 or older small block mopar). Also, the factory cam in the 2000 will not have the provision for the eccentric that operates the mechanical fuel pump.

Ok well its been a while since I posted but the wife had surgery and I was dealing with that. I know what needs to be done withe the motor I'm just unclear on the transmission like what Trans to use I'd like to keep it automatic if possible. Any ideas would help thanks

Posted via Topify on Android

Ok guys I have a 360 out of a truck and I have noticed that the oil pan will not clear my steering linkage is there a center sump conversion I can do.

Posted via Topify on Android

yes..you need a center sump oil pan...and the pickup inside the pan need to match the center sump pan....

good time to clean the crap out of the oil pan too...lol

I just seen this thread. I JUST did what your doing. But I wonder if you are going to use the serpentine set up? If so, the A/C pump mounts over the large hose fitting on that intake and you'll need to redrl the intake to relocate the fitting since the A/C bracket cover the hole.

If your going to use the older LA set up, no worries. Just longer hose for the cooler routing.

IF your thinking mechanical fuel pump, the mechanical fuel pump will require the LA timing chain cover (LA front, 91 or older small block mopar). Also, the factory cam in the 2000 will not have the provision for the eccentric that operates the mechanical fuel pump.

You can run the hydraulic cam for an 88-91 360, it has the nose for the fuel pump eccentric (If you can get Hughes to send you the right one in the first place...) Sorry, had to get my dig in on Hughes for sending me the wrong one for my 91 360... The 88-91 LA engines had hydraulic roller cams with mechanical fuel pumps.

I would also then plan to use the timing chain, water pump from the 65 as it will go better with your radiator, and you can run the original style alternator, and power steering pump if necessary. Just make a mark on the original 360 damper for the different timing marks on the earlier timing chain/timing tab.

Just put together a good electric pump fuel system with a return and run the Magnum style cam. You'll need the good fuel system with the crappy gas anyway. I don't understand why anybody still runs a mechanical pump anyway.

How much is a new mechanical fuel pump?
Same question for electric fuel pump?
And the fittings to add on to it.....

Just put together a good electric pump fuel system with a return and run the Magnum style cam. You'll need the good fuel system with the crappy gas anyway. I don't understand why anybody still runs a mechanical pump anyway.

I dig what you mean, Rob, and I can only speak from my own experience here, but I went mechanical because I had all the pieces to make it work. But, because hindsight is always 20/20, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably set up an inline electric Walbro pump with a pressure regulator. The only caveat to that is to make sure your electrical system is up to snuff (grounds mostly), but that goes without saying for most upgrades.

Ok I have a buddy with a 360 out of a 2000 dodge dakota rt and he is selling the motor. I was interested in it as I am looking for a motor to shoehorn into my 65 barracuda. So the question is can i convert the efi engine to a carbarated motor? If so what would make this possible.

If you convert the engine over to carbed I'd be interested in the fuel injection system.

-
Back