360 SWAP Balance question.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Happy Halloween, I thought I had this worked out but,... The torque converter I was going to use doesn't work for me. 318 904 swapping to a 360 with the same 904, I rebuilt the 360 and installed a new Summit crank damper part number SUM-C4278 on the 360, it has a weight that can be left on for external balance or removed for internal balance, I have the 318 internal balance torque converter. Can I take the weight off the damper to balance it, or do I still need the B&M flexplate? Also if I get the B&M flexplate, do I need to take the weight of the Summit damper? Thanks.

I think when we did mine 8 years ago we took the weight off the torque converter. Someone will chime in for sure.

You need the B&M flexplate to offset the balance of the neutral converter, and you need to leave your new dampner in place with it in "offset" mode!!

I was referring to the weight you leave on or take off of your balancer, as mentioned in the first post! The weight would need to be "on"!!

Use the B & M flex plate, put the weight on the damper, you will be good to go.

Use the B & M flex plate, put the weight on the damper, you will be good to go.
This:^^^ You need the weight at both the damper end and the flexplate end. Make sure you get the 360 B&M flexplate with the 'bite' taken out of one side, not the similar 340 flexplate.

Looks correct per the B&M app notes; that is all I know to go by. The 340 cast crank version has a smaller 'bite' out of the side.

(Not sure, but the 10236 may work also. But it is for the 727 and you may need to change torque converters, or it might block the starter bendix gear on the 904. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.)

B & M number 10239 is the correct flex plate to hang off the end of the 360 crank to a neutral balance converter for a 904.

-
Back