360 w/J heads-need help deciding

-
Wrong or right, I've always used .006" per cc. A lot depends on the circumference/diameter of the chamber, so a .0005 or .0010 more adjustment higher might work better on a large bores.

I should add that I didn't use those numbers for a build, but more for evaluation purposes. Not a big fan of heavy milling. I'd rather use pistons to get where I want to go. :smile:

Spoken by someone with experience and I much agree for the most part.

So I have been warned. Nothing a set of thicker head gaskets can't handle though.

Why mill something to gain compression and lose it with thick gaskets? Replace head iron with gaskets?

If you have the heads at the machine shop, have them shave .025" from the intake side and be done with it. You'll have to step away from the cork front and rear intake gaskets and either go with high temp RTV or foam if you go that way.

It sounds to me like the engine is in good order, but the combination of upper half and cam with a stock bottom end is going to level torque and power until it hits 3500.

I think it's a good buy for the money and it's not the first time I've seen someone try to recover immediate costs to sink money into a different idea. Case in point, I bought three of the classic cars I own for less than $750 each.

If the bores in the engine measured under .007" taper and honed nice, I would be very tempted to get a set of custom pistons to wake that engine up, before crushing gaskets. That would be another few dollars well spent on that engine, to the potential interest.

It's not often you get to look at the inside of an engine before buying something second hand, that is also complete enough to install.

Seems like a pretty transparent and honest deal to me.

Spoken by someone with experience and I much agree for the most part.
OK, well if you will look at what you are agreeing with, you will see, it proves you are wrong.. Get out your calculator for a second here..... .006 milled off the head reduces the chamber volume aprox 1 CC. Therfore, removing the .040 you claim, would reduce the chamber volume aprox 6.6 CC..... reducing the chamber by 6.6 cc, increases the ratio by .73, as in 10.22 to 10.95 (example ratio) how is your 7:1 motor gonna become 10 or 11:1 by milling .040?

OK, well if you will look at what you are agreeing with, you will see, it proves you are wrong.. Get out your calculator for a second here..... .006 milled off the head reduces the chamber volume aprox 1 CC. Therfore, removing the .040 you claim, would reduce the chamber volume aprox 6.6 CC..... reducing the chamber by 6.6 cc, increases the ratio by .73, as in 10.22 to 10.95 (example ratio) how is your 7:1 motor gonna become 10 or 11:1 by milling .040?

It doesn't. The advertised specs on these engines was optimistic to begin with.

If there is no cylinder ridge wear, a good set of pistons would bump it up, likely somewhere in the mid 9's.

10's on a J head is hard to accomplish without a quench piston of some kind.

If you are dead set on using that camshaft and it's a 108 LSA model, install it at 100-102 if you have sufficient valve to piston clearance.

It doesn't. The advertised specs on these engines was optimistic to begin with.

If there is no cylinder ridge wear, a good set of pistons would bump it up, likely somewhere in the mid 9's.

10's on a J head is hard to accomplish without a quench piston of some kind.

Spoken by someone with more experience than dk's shop...lol.

My whole point, is the claim that his J heads milled .040 would raise is compression from 8:1 to "10 or 11:1" as he claimed. That is false.

Ok guys, been traveling and just read all of this. Yes I did buy the set up from Dakota. Thanks Dakota. I took it to Wayne Smoothers, AKA Smoothers Super Tuned Cars www.smootherssupercars.com since I admit I do not know what I am doing. He said it would have to low compression (7.5-1) for what I wanted. He suggested boring the block .30 over size, getting the deck surfaced, honed, balanced and called Poter Racing Heads and got new KB pistons for the set up that would get the compression higher and quench up. He will also check the head work and check the spring pressure. He estimates the build will produce 350-375 HP.
Thats the news for now. I will update once I get it all back. Thanks for all the comments.
Todd

Wayne is a sharp guy.

Kb107's, 9.5:1, xe268H, air gap, headers and a stock set of heads will make 350 pretty easy. That 508 cam will make more than that and I'd guess closer to 400hp.

Quench with a open chamber head is a pain.

Ok guys, been traveling and just read all of this. Yes I did buy the set up from Dakota. Thanks Dakota. I took it to Wayne Smoothers, AKA Smoothers Super Tuned Cars www.smootherssupercars.com since I admit I do not know what I am doing. He said it would have to low compression (7.5-1) for what I wanted. He suggested boring the block .30 over size, getting the deck surfaced, honed, balanced and called Poter Racing Heads and got new KB pistons for the set up that would get the compression higher and quench up. He will also check the head work and check the spring pressure. He estimates the build will produce 350-375 HP.
Thats the news for now. I will update once I get it all back. Thanks for all the comments.
Todd
Cool, that basically confirms what you were told, low compression, needs boring, so basically its a rebuildable core, which aint bad, you got some other good parts, at least you wont try to install a worn out re-rung motor and expect the 500 HP the seller was claiming..........Glad its working out for ya! Keep us posted on the build!:cheers:

Update- I went by STK Machine shop and paid the bill-work is done. Here is what they did:Vat block, cam berarings and freeze plugs, R & R pistons Keith Black 232's, Bore/hone .30 over, grind crank, resize rods, balance, square deck and surface heads. Bill was $910.00. Wayne Smoothers is putting everything together and should have back soon! I am excited!

Attachments

• 20130513_093531_resized.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20130513_093545_resized.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 73
I have NO idea. Wayne contacted Porter Racing Heads with measurments of build and the work that was going to be done. He was going to have some made but Porter said the "off the shelf KB's" would work. Trying to improve quench and compression I think.

just get it all assembled and in the car! time's a wastin

sounds like a good deal for both of you

i think the KB232's use magnum rods

-
Back