.450 239 171
.500 252 174
.550 262 176
.600 263 177
.650 263 179
.700 246 179
Edit/Delete Message

Thank you thank you.

From the manufacturer or a fella flowing them himself?

Dave Hughes is about to release a new tech article detailing out these heads. It's in rough draft today. Hopefully we'll see it in a few days up on their site. I cant wait to read more on these after some reliable testing and critique has been done by Dave and Hughes Engines guys. Should be good.

My guess is the power potential will be just short of say a nicely worked up Edelbrock or even their Iron Ram Magnum heads given the same work done. But the upside will be a drop in replacement head with some nice upgrades from the stock castings at a cheaper price than Eddy's or swapping ove to Magnums valvetrain and the Iron Rams.

Just my 2 cents. We'll see what they say...

These heads use pedestals just like the Magnums/Iron Rams. Same costs there. Looks like they flow better than the EQ's over .400 with the 1.92 valve.

These heads use pedestals just like the Magnums/Iron Rams. Same costs there. Looks like they flow better than the EQ's over .400 with the 1.92 valve.

You can get them in Magnum or LA style (rocker shafts/intake bolt) configuration.

Looks like a head that has some good potential.

Hughes put out a new tech article on these heads. Apparently they are limited to lower lift cams or you will experience spring coil bind problems. Not sure if this applies to all springs or just Hughes springs.

It'll probably not be a spring issue but a clearance issue of the head and retainer. Machine work can cure this.

earlier title is posted as 360 x heads,is this a diff . head known as the 340 x heads??? i was just wondering the other day what the potential was for my x heads, if they would move enough air for a 340 stroker,with a 575-600 lift cam?? thanks brian

Unfortunately, it looks like a spring issue. The installed height on the heads using the stock valve is 1.62 which is .060 short of std at 1.68, IIRC.

Whoever designed the core boxes really dropped the ball on this. The only fixes would be to cut the spring pad, run longer valves (if available) or + style retainers and locks to gain spring height. They should have been designed to use a 1.800 or better installed height, better spring selection opening up the use of aggressive camshafts.

To me, they turned a head with really good potential into a paperweight.

That sucks. I was hoping these would end up being a step up from the EQ/Iron Ram heads.

actually I think someone said the head makers said you cant cut them to put to big of a spring on

quoted from hughes

Here is the Achilles' heel of what could have been a very powerful head. As the photo shows,
the valve spring install height is only 1.625". This is actually .040" less than stock. What we need is
the ability to achieve a 1.800" installed height This will severely limit valve spring and cam size to
very small RV types. RHS told us that the spring seats could not be cut any at all. You can forget
550HP....hello 300HP. Too bad! Unless RHS is wrong or the head gets re-cast, this head is not
a good choice except for a stock OEM replacement.

Really need to sonic test the spring pads on these to see if they can be cut.

Another potential fix is to put +.100 11/32 valves in them. You could do a 1.94 and possibly a 2.02.

I'm still shocked at this particular oversight.

robb...went i first read it...i thought the samething...longer valve ...

maybe hughes does not want the competition with their Iron ram heads so they got to bad talk them...

and what valve were they using in the test...what was the lenght?

stock magnum or stock LA?

I was wondering the same thing. Isnt longer valves a common thing with Magnum heads ?

I guess we need to wait for OU812 to get his set.

I guess we need to wait for OU812 to get his set.

Brian is still waiting for the pair to show up.

I wouldn't think hughes would sabotage the findings to benefit themselves because there will be others going through the same motions. If the others have the same findings as hughes, then, so be it. If the findings are markedly different, then, I'd have some issues with credibility at that point.

Guess we'll see as these become more available.

I spoke to Sam at the Indy tent in Carlisle on Thursday before the crowds and crazies showed. He's a nice guy and took a few minutes to talk with me and unbox some. They run an 8mm valve stem size. I think that's why the no longer valves. But, you can buy them assembled or as castings. As castings you can replace te guides with whatever you want. The casting quality is very good, the exhausts are nothing short of W2 sized. They are called "360X heads, but the designations are LA-X for the LA shaft rockers and either 1.92 or 2.02 intakes (they had both there) and the MA-X for the Magnum pedestal rockers again in both 1.92 and 2.02. They had a few stacks of them but Sam said they had nothing on the bench or an engine to report... they had just been taken off the shipping pallets and sent to Carlisle. I see no reason why in the Magnum version at least the pedestal mounts can be enlarged to 3/8" to run the Chevy rockers, and then any length valve. I think Hughes is probably a little bent over not getting in on these. I can see them doing very well in the right hands. I've got a price of $798 for either set bare (2 heads) or $1140 assembled. Even with the mods, you can get into them for similar pricing to RPMs, and these ones are supposed to be at the "stage one" ported RPM level out of the box. Plus they have a thick deck to get that 62 cc chamber way down. As advertised I could have them ready to be installed for under $1600 and RPMs are already $1700 out of the box. I have to say too that Sam was the first Indy person I talked to that wasn't God's gift to Mopar in thier head since Herb McCandless went over the first Maxx block with me at Englishtown years ago. The EQ heads are mild to stock replacements, these are the next step. They are light years better than original X heads.

looking quick... i see some chevy valves at 11/32 that are .050 longer. Probably a bunch more longer than that. I'd bet theres a retainer that can get you more spring height too. who knows... someone will be able to do it I'm sure. And theres a bunch of $$room to play with befoire you're into the RPM's ready tpo install pricing

Hughes states that you are limited to .500 lift or less. That limits the use of their high lift cam profiles. But this would be still let you use Comp Cams XE-H series cams up to the XE274H. For street use I don't see it as too much of a limitation. For competition on the other hand, some remedy will need to be found.

-
Back