383 4 speed+headers

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 68 GTS 383 4 speed does anyone make headers that will fit this car? And no TTI's will not work, that is what I have on it and the Zbar for the clutch will not fit.
Thanks,Jim

Has anyone used the TTI zbar? Does it work? I have a lakewood bellhousing but going back to a stock bellhousing that may help abit.

Well, if it is that hard to find headers that fit without paying an arm and a leg.....I would convert your clutch to a hydraulic master and slave.
Or do as another person suggested and modify your Z-bar. Just stating my opinion.

TTI wants you to use their modified Z bar and modify your ball stud bracket, but I have not heard of anyone successfully doing this. Seems to me if you know how the Z bar should be modified and you make it, why not make the ball stud bracket as well and make the whole set up work? (but then again it did take them a few years to start making the Z bar)

I've heard of using a hydraulic set up, but from who?

I called Schumacher, and they will send their headers to another company to modify them for a 4 speed, they added it to their website:
4-speed customers: Our headers can be modified to fit a 4-speed transmission. For more information, go to http://www.accurateltd.com, or email [email protected].

I sent an e-mail and the guy responded quickly, said they modify the headers to fit- I did not take it any further, but within the next year I plan on solving this issue, and maybe this thread will answer a few questions.

Not sure if my rambling on was any help.

I have a 68 GTS 383 4 speed does anyone make headers that will fit this car? And no TTI's will not work, that is what I have on it and the Zbar for the clutch will not fit.
Thanks,Jim

just run fenderwell headers. they should clear with no problem... :)

I bought this kit http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TS252KIT from Brewers and made it work with manifolds.
Had to modify the spacer by grinding of the corners to make it clear the clutch housing. Also had to modify the bellhousing ballstud/bracket by removing material, this was a trial and test work. Not too hard to accomplish anyway.
Later I bought TTI headers and found out that I had to buy their torque shaft.
Had to modify this one too as it interfered with the front of the starter, not sure though if this was really necessary because when I did the mockup in the test stand I tested the torque shaft at full stroke. I´ll see if I can take any good pics of the setup.
BTW, I´m running a 383 4-speed in my Fastback and I´m using a ministarter.

Hmmm I just took a 383 out of my 71 4 speed dart. I did the conversion almost 20 years ago. I had the z bar modified and it worked fine with the tti headers of the day. Where is the complication with the set up?

Garth

BTW if I remember correctly the 11" belhousing will not work. It hits the firewall. I tried to use the 11" when I doing the car and ended up putting a 10 1/2" belhousing in.

Garth

I´m using the 10.5" bellhousing.
Here´s two pics of the mods I did to the linkage. Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry, took them with the cellphone due to lack of space.
I schrinked the pics by 60%, so if anyone would like the pics in full capture just let me know.
The mods are in the square marked ares.

The Zbar just will not work it would not fit hit the headers.But I have a Lakewood bellhousing.I sent Brewers a email and they said I need a 10.5 bellhousing and the TTI Zbar.Sucks I already bought a new 11 inch clutch and my flywheel is from a 440.So sounds like I need 10.5 clutch,10.5 bellhousing,flywheel,and TTI Zbar. Looks like I need to sell some parts...LOL

Thanks for the help Guys...........

I´m using the 10.5" bellhousing.
Here´s two pics of the mods I did to the linkage. Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry, took them with the cellphone due to lack of space.
I schrinked the pics by 60%, so if anyone would like the pics in full capture just let me know.
The mods are in the square marked ares.

Doesn't the pivot bracket for the Z bar on the bellhousing mount parallel to the bellhousing?
Is yours bolted to both holes on the bellhousing?

Doesn't the pivot bracket for the Z bar on the bellhousing mount parallel to the bellhousing?
Is yours bolted to both holes on the bellhousing?
Yes Matt, it´s bolted to both of the holes. I also used the spacer that is illustrated in the link to Brewers Perf. although I had to grind the corners of the spacer.
I bought a aftermarket aluminum bellhousing from Brewers a couple of years before the install. I´m not sure if the mounting holes is located in the same place as a stock bellhousing.

Yeah, the bellhousing looks very similar, and I had it wrong- the bracket is not parallel.
I held my camera below the steering and snapped a few pics, here is what a stock one looks like if it helps anyone. The spacer is the same as Brewers, and that is about all.

American Powertrain makes a very nice hydraulic system to replace the mechanical linkage if you need it. We have a website dedicated to hydraulic systems that was referenced earlier in the thread: www.hotrodhydraulics.com or you can find them on our main site: www.americanpowertrain.com. Hope this helps.

We are also looking to borrow an A-body car for some test fit and refinement of the 5-speed kits and 6-speed kits. We will have your car for a while so you will need to drop it with us. You do not have to buy anything! If you want a new transmission we will sell it to you and put it in while the car is here, otherwise we will put your car back as we found it. The car must have an OE 4-speed tunnel and an engine and diff. Does not have to run or be a show car.

Let me know if you have something for us.

No offense intended, but why would I lend you my car for "awhile" and get it returned exactly as brought in?
Gotta give a guy something in return..........don't 'ya?

No offense intended, but why would I lend you my car for "awhile" and get it returned exactly as brought in?
Gotta give a guy something in return..........don't 'ya?

Indeed. That's the stupidest think I ever heard. I don't care whether it offends or not. LOL

Indeed. That's the stupidest think I ever heard. I don't care whether it offends or not. LOL

Not to belabor the discussion, but over the years many, many guys have lent us cars they have sitting in their side yard with no intentions of restoration in the near term. We usually don't get beautiful cars, we get beaters with OE tunnels and just enough drivetrain to get them in the door. Sometimes they require a flatbed and a push. When it comes to transmission fitment that is all that is required.

What's in it for you, and the rest of the Mopar Nation, is a cleaner and easier to install 5-speed system for your favorite A-body.

If you don't, or won't, let us use your car then that is absolutely your choice. We only need one car owned by one generous owner who understands the value of companies that devote time and resources to R&D product for Mopars.

The rest of you can let us know.

-
Back