383 on ABody BB KFRAME?

-
Went out and checked the depth off the holes on my 68 dart 383 block the holes are drilled to 1 1/8" . What I have learned the 383 mounts are different because of steering box clearance std and pwr. this is due to the different heights of the B/Rb block. Also for clearance reasons the back motor mount ear is machined off on 383 blocks (drivers side) done at factory.

DSCN3200.jpg

rtse440 you are right on the depth now that I think about.1 1/8 and I drilled mine at 1 inch.It been about 2 years ago since I drilled mine.Sorry for the wrong info. Jim

The holes should be 3/8 thread and 1 1/8 inch deep.I measured this off a original block when I needed to drill mine.I only went 1 inch deep in mine instead of 1 1/8 just to be safe.I did not want to drill to deep LOL

Jim

No they are 7/16-14 thread and less than 1" deep , I did a 69 block that I had that had the bosses but they were not machined , drilled or tapped . to do it correctly first you need to face off the bosses , i used an original machined block as the template to do my other block.

The boss you have the square around is usually cut off or cast without them on the original 383 A-Body blocks.

The block in my picture is not my factory block. No need to cut it off on my car as it still fits just fine with it in place.

Right now I have the 69 HP block you see in the picture above, a 69 HP block from a Super Bee, a 67 Block, and two 70's 400 blocks, all of them have the bosses on them.

It was hit or miss I guess. I have not found any pattern to determine which ones had them.

I can tell you that I pulled some parts from a 70's C-Body one time and it had the bosses, and they were being used to mount the power steering pump. I was surprised to see that.

-Dave

Dave , seeing how close the boss is to the steering box is why it was machined off , it's cast on all blocks and only machined off those that were getting built for A body installation .

As far as why the 440's used a different mount is because the those bosses started toi be phased off the blocks in 69 , some have them some do not , the 69 440HP block I have wit ha may 69 casting date has the bosses , but others I had had did not .

Some one asked when the bosses went away , for 383's they would have started disappearing in 1970 can't remember ever seeing them on a 70 ??? , no early 400's would have them , no 440's starting with 70. But sometime later, I think it was 73 or 74, the mounting for the power steering changed and lower of the 2 bosses on the front of the block returned and they were all drilled and tapped to 3/8-16 I believe, I'll have to look at the blocks I have to confirm that .

The 440 shown above is how all 440's were done in A bodies and they werer done by hand , I had one of these blocks, it didn't have the bosses but had the drilled holes , when I got it I wondered why someone drilled those holes . Later on after I bought my 69 440 GTS and was looking over the block I discovered that it came from a 69 440 GTS that was numerically 6 numbers off from my car, I gave the block to Jim Rhino when we traded cars.

The 440 mount is very hard to find , Dan , ph23v0 repopped the mount a few years ago , I dodn't think he has any left though . One could make the mount if you can find a picture of it , it's basically the A body 383 mount that's been modified , it's opened up some ... bent further apart ... and a piece of machined down angle material is welded to it to reach down to the oil pump boss .

My 383 came out of a '70 superbee and does have the bosses above the oil pump. I had to drill and tap them 7/16" myself. I have 2 other 440's that only have one boss about 1" below the head gasket surface and it is drilled and tapped 3/8". My '72 early production date 400 didn't have any (230 casting). Hope that info helps.

My original 68 Barracuda still has the back motor mount lug on the drivers side, manual steering. As I remember 67 and 68 were manual steering only, theoretically. Sounds like they whacked the motor mount lug for 69 and fit the power steering box??

Could be 66fs,

I have never seen a 68 with power steering, but then again I have only seen a hand full in the Houston area and most were small block cars.

-Dave

Could be 66fs,

I have never seen a 68 with power steering, but then again I have only seen a hand full in the Houston area and most were small block cars.

-Dave

I`ve never seen bb 68`s with power steering, I believe as 66fs said, 69 was the first year power steering was offered as an option with a big block.

pretty sure ph23V0 , dan with the 6pk C barges , 68 formula S 383 has power steering .

The BEST option, in my opinion, is getting a 73-76 small block k-member and making your own Direct Connection k-member, second option is making your own mounts, third Shumacher, fourth original big block k-member (insert an RMS AlterKtion in the order anywhere your wallet allows).

Mike, not to sound condescending because I'm really not (this hobby needs young people such as yourself), but the advice to just buy Schumacher is a little too simple and one sided. Hot rodding really doesn't have a one size fits all approach and when it comes to the 73-76 V8 k-member the Schumacher approach is really inferior to the DC k-member.

Good discussion on A block. I have a b.b. motor mt, L side. See photo of an oem one.

AbodyB.B 014.jpg

i have one listed here for sale with the mount on it it is a 69 casting it is .030 over ithink i have 2 of those mounts take a look for reference

IMG_20200229_151355796.jpg

IMG_20200229_150628603.jpg

IMG_20200229_150841342.jpg

-
Back