383 or 440 Dilema

-
Yep 383 makes more sense to me , to save my inner fenders, and the cost of custom fenderwells, light A body .love good revving motors

I jumped in this thread late. In response to this...BS. I've built 2 440 darts, both 69's. You do not need any custom inner fenders or removal of inner fenders. There is no substantial weight difference between B or RB either.

Truth be told if you are going to go through the hassle, and it is an *** ache expensive hassle to build a car much less a big block A body. To me, 57 cubic inches is worth going with the 440 considering the work involved is absolutely the same.

People build what they like or want as rusty said. Great, it's your car, your time, your money. One advantage no one mentioned is that once this is done he has a simple option of upgrading that 383 mill to a stroker engine. Now it does have a clear advantage over the 440. But I'd go that route from the get go.

Either way I'm sure you won't be disappointed and I'd encourage the OP to enjoy the car to the fullest.

I jumped in this thread late. In response to this...BS. I've built 2 440 darts, both 69's. You do not need any custom inner fenders or removal of inner fenders. There is no substantial weight difference between B or RB either.

Truth be told if you are going to go through the hassle, and it is an *** ache expensive hassle to build a car much less a big block A body. To me, 57 cubic inches is worth going with the 440 considering the work involved is absolutely the same.

People build what they like or want as rusty said. Great, it's your car, your time, your money. One advantage no one mentioned is that once this is done he has a simple option of upgrading that 383 mill to a stroker engine. Now it does have a clear advantage over the 440. But I'd go that route from the get go.

Either way I'm sure you won't be disappointed and I'd encourage the OP to enjoy the car to the fullest.

i agree with this statement mostly. my only gripe is that 10 yrs ago it was allot more difficult/expensive. now a days its a simple bolt in deal. i could have a big block in a dart in the same time as a small block. it comes down to your performance goals. if you want a 400hp mill its going to cost money to build a stout small block. just like it would to build a big block. i always hear about headers costing so much. well big and small block headers are pretty much in the same price range now unless you wanna go with bottom shelf junk small block headers. then i hear about weight on the nose. well my 383 with alum intake, water pump housing and pump and headers is about the same as a STOCK all iron 360. then i hear about cooling issues with big blocks. well it takes the same cooling capacity to cool 400hp no matter if its big or small block. its all a bolt on deal that can be done by the average gear head.

then comes the cool factor. small block a bodies are cool but a big block just looks, sounds and is mean.

i agree with this statement mostly. my only gripe is that 10 yrs ago it was allot more difficult/expensive. now a days its a simple bolt in deal. i could have a big block in a dart in the same time as a small block. it comes down to your performance goals. if you want a 400hp mill its going to cost money to build a stout small block. just like it would to build a big block. i always hear about headers costing so much. well big and small block headers are pretty much in the same price range now unless you wanna go with bottom shelf junk small block headers. then i hear about weight on the nose. well my 383 with alum intake, water pump housing and pump and headers is about the same as a STOCK all iron 360. then i hear about cooling issues with big blocks. well it takes the same cooling capacity to cool 400hp no matter if its big or small block. its all a bolt on deal that can be done by the average gear head.

then comes the cool factor. small block a bodies are cool but a big block just looks, sounds and is mean.

Cost wise, yeah it's a wash. Engine mounts are more. Headers, same. Engine costs, same BUT may actually less per given HP. I.E. Making 400hp out of a 440 vs. SB. Either way that 400hp WILL be more well behaved (read mild manners)

You hit all the other BS people who know no better always bring up, weight, etc.

I think the challenge, or *** ache as I so elegantly worded it is in the fitment of a BB vs. the SB. The engine mounts, at least the biscuit mounts are a little disspointing. Dealing with that for the 2nd time, 2nd car. Going to try spool mounts and after talking to Schumacher they say that is the better way to go.

I'd recommend going that route from the get go. Not to mention the aftermarket control arms use 73 and newer sway bars anyway.

-
Back