383 or 5.7 hemi

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Hello,

You guys helped me to decide to keep my black vinyl top but now I need some more advice

I have a 68 notchback Cuda originay al 318 .
A). I have a 383 with a 6 pack that needs a rebuild and a 727
B) I Have access to a 5.7 Hemi for $1500 with the 545 trans. With this engine I would keep the fuel injection and the 545 trans. I would cut the hump and install a the Modern shifter.

Am I screwing a cat in the keester by cutting the floor pan in a Great classic mopar and then putting in a modern power plant.?? The 383 6 pack motor would be a lot easier, less expensive.
All opinions welcome and appreciated

The Hemi would be great for cruising and mpg and I love new Hemi swaps but on the other hand, you can hardly beat the awesome look of a sixpak!!

I have a run of the mill 67 fastback, nothing special just a 273/904 both of which need a full rebuild. I am planning on a 5.7 with 545 swap. If your car is a super clean example I would lean toward keeping it as it is. If it is like mine which needs lots of work, might as well well make it my own. That's just my opinion though, YMMV.

The 5.7 would be so reliable and efficient. However... the other choice is a mopar classic. Your car so you must be happy with the way your heart is leading you. Me, 383 all the way!

Your choice, your car, your money. Both could be lots of fun! I personally like small blocks in A-bodies because of fitment and weight in the front for handling. However, if you like people to ask a ton of questions and stare for a while, probably the new Hemi.

i vote the 383 6 pack. ya can't beat the look for the 6 barrel, but it is some nuisance, and performance on par with a decent 4 bbl. i'm old and old school.

IMO you cant beat Old Iron. I always loved that Chrysler blue/turquoise the 383 was painted. MT

My car is super clean other than upholstery... I think I will keep it simple with the 383 and Al heads. the weight should be pretty close to a small block then. I am painting it B5 blue and keeping the Vinyl top. Plus I can keep the Cool old gages.
I will save the Hemi Id-er for a car that needs a lot of work and cut that up

I will make a Formula S replica with the 383

Thanks Man

It really depends what you want to do. I would suggest that if you go with the 383, upgrade to a 440 crank which I believe will put you at about 437ci and run a Mr 6-Pack camshaft with stock exhaust. With a 3.55 gear you'll be deep into the 12's in a stock appearing 383.

I vote for the 383, simply cause headers are cheaper.. ($1,000 vs $2,000) I priced a EFI 5.7 swap in my car - with intentions on going turbo right off the bat and had $10,000 including a $1,500 motor and $1,000 into a small block 727 I already have.. not including the $1,200 fuel system (a plug and play FAST EFI is $3,700), no turbo, no SRT8 intake, no custom manifolds(needed), no intercooler setup, no exhaust, no misc. stuff like AN fittings/line... ya ya it'd be a 9 second capable car all said and done but your car will be down for at least 3-4 years

As it sits I have $10,000ish into my whole car doing a big block and I'm not done yet, but close - refreshed 71 383, refreshed 727, B body 8 3/4, full QA1 front suspension, B body front disc's, countless other parts!

I'm jaded though as I'm trying to put a 383 in my Demon - hoping for mid July finish after just starting on it this spring, and 350-400 wheel hp

Hello,

You guys helped me to decide to keep my black vinyl top but now I need some more advice

I have a 68 notchback Cuda originay al 318 .
A). I have a 383 with a 6 pack that needs a rebuild and a 727
B) I Have access to a 5.7 Hemi for $1500 with the 545 trans. With this engine I would keep the fuel injection and the 545 trans. I would cut the hump and install a the Modern shifter.

Am I screwing a cat in the keester by cutting the floor pan in a Great classic mopar and then putting in a modern power plant.?? The 383 6 pack motor would be a lot easier, less expensive.
All opinions welcome and appreciated

what are your intentions with the car? just a driver?

i'd be leaning towards the 5.7 if its a driver.

5.7 hemi

370 horsepower bone stock and the weight of a small block. I never liked 383's, too much weight for too few cubic inches.

I love my hemi swap, wouldn't do my car any other way. But my car was a pos. If you are resourceful, you can make the hemi affordable, but it does cost money and take some patience to do it economically. On a nice original car I would say big block because there is a lot of "massaging" to get the hemi in, especially with the 545 trans. Either way, cool car, I love notchbacks!

Ultimately up to you obviously... but I'd say the six pack.

From my research, the newer Hemi motor swap is extremely expensive and at the end of the day, the computer is not as open to tuning as one would like it to be. Also the fuel economy is not that amazing, I cannot speak on the reliability of it though.

If you plan a daily drive like I do... then I'd do the swap with reliability of a newer motor, parts availability, Fuel Injection, and a little better fuel economy involved.

If you plan on making it a sunday cruiser like most of these cars are, then I'd stick with a bad *** sounding six pack.

Either way, can't go wrong!! Good luck on your decision!

HUH!??? as I remember a good runnin 383 in a heavier B body ( 69 road chicken) with 3:55 or 3:90 gears was PLENTY fun!!! I love the high reving 383 myself. the 6 pack is eye candy. it have the same function like a good 4 barrel. BUT eye candy!!! and like he said, a l inyake, water pump housing, and maybe alum heads, NOT that heavy.

but then i'm old and old school.

My brother is in the middle of a 5.7 Hemi / Viper 6 speed transmission swap in his Warlock. He has been busting his *** to get it done for Mopars in the Park at the end of the month. Between fabrications and ecu / wiring harness issues he texted me the other night, and I quote:

"Bailing on this Hemi bullshit. I shouldn't have bought this motor. Intake won't fit under the hood, the intake I wanted to swap on won't fit. The guys who make the harnesses don't have truck motors to work off. so a custom harness is all on me if they make it and it doesn't fit. So close. So much money wasted. **** this ****. Selling it all if I can and searching craigslist for a Yugo."

I hope that helps you make your decision!

I'm with most others, 383 6 pack, my dad has this same set up in his 68 charger and it moved. These new hemi's are nice don't get me wrong I had a 06 srt8 charger and loved the power of the 6.1 but price wise the 383 would be cheaper plus depending on tune and set up can almost get the same mileage as the 5.7 hemi.

383 is another underrated engine. gobs of torque, AND high reving! Im thinking about yankng my 440 out of my 67 dart and put the 383 back in. Mainly clearance issues with RB. And it is a numbers 383 GTS.

383 six pack, put 3 TBI's under the air cleaner and EFI it. Look of a 383-6 and the driveabliity of a Dodge Ram. No cutting for the tranny but you may want to go to a shorter rear gear with all that torque and only 3 speeds.

-
Back