3rd Gen Hemi Brothers quick question on Harness'

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
SO 5.7 Hemi sent me the factory harness he had and I spent the better part of an hour ID'ing connectors and labeling them does anyone have an idea of what needs to stay and what can go? I pulled a power distibution block out of a 3.5 charger with the plugs and relays so I will use that for my relay and fuse box but the harness he sent is quite obviously a truck harness. Also what do I need going to/from the pcm to make sure the engine works (running a manual trans so I just need the engine side not the trans side. I also need to know what the ALDL connector wiring needs to have to be able to hook a scanner to it. With all you guys being the wealth of info you are I'm sure I can knock this thing out in a day or so with the right info. Oh and I'm going to be running it all off of an 05 manual truck pcm program. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I want to run DBW Throttle and I have the throttle pedal out of the 3.5 charger too that I was going to use.

hey man on the 03-05 trucks there is a module that sits under the battery tray that houses the DBW stuff then you can keep the stock peddle. As a cable comes off it to the module and that controls the TB. If needed I can get you a ram fuse box the going rate is about 75.00. On the wireing I would assume you need the engine harness, and then the harness that plugs to it and goes to the pcm. You will also need the harness that goes into the cab. It connects to a white connector that has a bolt through the center of it. The obd connector comes off of the white connector. It appears to me (as I stripped the harness out of my truck) that you will be needing 90% of the harness that is under the hood where it goes through the firewall to the white connector and the wireing for the obd plug. If you have access to a place that I can download a huge file I can send you the service manual for the trucks. I have them broken down by year, from 03 to 06. It is a pdf file but it has over 3000 pages in it. So it need to be uploaded to a server, it's too big to email. Or I'll toss it on a flash drive and I can mail it to you.

hey man on the 03-05 trucks there is a module that sits under the battery tray that houses the DBW stuff then you can keep the stock peddle. As a cable comes off it to the module and that controls the TB. If needed I can get you a ram fuse box the going rate is about 75.00. On the wireing I would assume you need the engine harness, and then the harness that plugs to it and goes to the pcm. You will also need the harness that goes into the cab. It connects to a white connector that has a bolt through the center of it. The obd connector comes off of the white connector. It appears to me (as I stripped the harness out of my truck) that you will be needing 90% of the harness that is under the hood where it goes through the firewall to the white connector and the wireing for the obd plug. If you have access to a place that I can download a huge file I can send you the service manual for the trucks. I have them broken down by year, from 03 to 06. It is a pdf file but it has over 3000 pages in it. So it need to be uploaded to a server, it's too big to email. Or I'll toss it on a flash drive and I can mail it to you.
Well I got the full harness from 5.7hemi and it included what looks to me to be the entire underhood harness as well as the injector sub harness and the battery wiring. I don't know about the DBW adapter on the trucks so I will look into one of those.

2010-09-28160752.jpg

Just don't want to deal with adapting a throttle cable IAC and tps into the mix.

Your gonna have to run the stock stuff with the stock computer, it is what is. The throttle cable goes to the " box" which is nothining more than a reostat, then it goes to the wiring harness somewhere and goes to the tb. Now you could pick up a harness that is done and you'd be set, but that will cost some coin and you probably want to save what you can where you can. There is no IAC or TPS on these engines, they are part of the tb. I'm no expert on thses things so someone with more knowledge should get you better answers than what I can.

You might want to get a manual trans PCM so it wint hunt for a TCM.

johnparts, I am in the process of doing the same thing with an 06 wiring harness and pcm for my 6.1. I downloaded the service manual for it and have spent many hours tracing out the system with colored pencil to determine what is needed but just recently picked up the harness so digging in to it and knowing if theory works is another thing. Hopefully I will find some time in November to start in on it as i am dieing to hear the 6.1 fire up, even if it is sitting out of the car at the time.

johnparts, I am in the process of doing the same thing with an 06 wiring harness and pcm for my 6.1. I downloaded the service manual for it and have spent many hours tracing out the system with colored pencil to determine what is needed but just recently picked up the harness so digging in to it and knowing if theory works is another thing. Hopefully I will find some time in November to start in on it as i am dieing to hear the 6.1 fire up, even if it is sitting out of the car at the time.
Yeah with the laundry list of stuff I need to finish on the car it would be nice to at least cross one thing off the list. I would also love to hear my little hemi go thump thump thump a few times befor winter hits here.

personall my plan is to pull apart all the harness' and then plug everything in, get the motor running and driving, then I'll cut out everything that is not needed. Then fit the harness to the car. We will see how that plan works out when the time comes.

personall my plan is to pull apart all the harness' and then plug everything in, get the motor running and driving, then I'll cut out everything that is not needed. Then fit the harness to the car. We will see how that plan works out when the time comes.
Kinda same thing I was thinking for me.

The real question is what PCM to make the least amount of work... If a car PCM w/ the trans turned off works then sweet, but it'd be nice if someone could assure us of that :)

Todd I talked to Dave Webber from Modern Muscle performance group this morning a truck pcm will work just fine 05 and up auto or manual because they didn't have skim modules.

Todd I talked to Dave Webber from Modern Muscle performance group this morning a truck pcm will work just fine 05 and up auto or manual because they didn't have skim modules.

No skim/skis would make things a bit easier.

I'm showing a SKIM in the 04 DR body. I was sure 05 had them too.

Manual trans should be no skim

I would disagree with that and it needs to be independantly confirmed.

Every other car with a NGC PCM and manual trans has a SKIM. I don't see why a ram would be any different.

Are you sure he didn't say "TCM"?

05 and newer trucks, auto or manual, do not have a separate TCM. "Transmission Control Module

OK talked to Plum Floored a few minutes ago he is telling me the 05 PCM/ECU would have security BUT the 04 manual base model hemi ECU (SCI not CAN) would not have security and that the Diablo for the trucks will work on it.

actually I have a friend with an 03 ram 2500 that has a skim. It's an option and not many had it. But there are some that do. I would say about 75% or better do not have the skim.

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of a hemi swap, or a multiport magnum. What IS a SKIM, please?

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of a hemi swap, or a multiport magnum. What IS a SKIM, please?

skim=milk...... just kidding

in short it's a security feature.

the long version....it uses a chip in the ign key. That in conjunction with a module (usually in the steering column) that will detect the chip in the key via RFID (radio frequency identification) this will tell the pcm that the correct key is being used to start the car/truck. If you have a pcm that looks for the skim and cannot find it (ie it's missing or the wires were cut for theft) it will not start. So if you attempt to retrofit a hemi and have a pcm with the skim active, you will have to locate the skim and the key in order to get it to work. Or you must have it turned off using a star scan tool via the dealer. Good luck getting them to do it they don't know if you stole it or how you came across it. They will sell you a skim so you can reprogram it but they have to do the reprogramming for you.

-
Back