4 door steering shaft same as 2 door?

-

yellow1

Reaction score
I pulled a manual steering collum out of a 4 door dart (1970) thinking it would be the same one I need for my Demon. I was wrong! It's about 2 inches short or so. I never knew there was a diff or am I doing something wrong? I just thought I knew it all on A bodies!! Any help is great!

I pulled a manual steering collum out of a 4 door dart (1970) thinking it would be the same one I need for my Demon. I was wrong! It's about 2 inches short or so. I never knew there was a diff or am I doing something wrong? I just thought I knew it all on A bodies!! Any help is great!

What year is your Demon? Power steering vs manual steering?

They are the same on a 4 door.
Sounds like the column is for a power steering set up.
The shaft is shorter on p/s about 2'' compared to manual.

My demon was originally a ps car, I put a manual box in it, then took the shaft out of the dart collum and put it in my original Demon housing. I didn't really think there was a difference in the wheelbase. Thanks for input!

Was the 4 door manual steering? My guess would be no.
In this case it doesn't matter, but there is a difference in the wheelbase between a Dart 4 door and a Demon.
Generally speaking, from the firewall forward, they are identical in dimensions. The only difference would be the options, such as power steering, disc brakes, engine, etc.
You are in a unbolt/bolt in situation when it comes to compatibility.
The steering shaft length is the only difference in the columns between power and manual steering.

My demon was originally a ps car, I put a manual box in it, then took the shaft out of the dart collum and put it in my original Demon housing. I didn't really think there was a difference in the wheelbase. Thanks for input!

Wheel base has nothing to do with it. You didn't follow what Dartnut said.

The 70 is a one year column to be correct and that is why I asked what year your Demon is?

well, next question, anyone got a 71 and up manual shaft,or should i just get a adaptor? the one i have looks to be about 2 1/2 short. Thanks for everyones help

well, next question, anyone got a 71 and up manual shaft,or should i just get a adaptor? the one i have looks to be about 2 1/2 short. Thanks for everyones help

The columns are hard to come by so you might have to use an adapter.

The 70 column you have is wanted by alot of members here if it is the floor shift column. If it doesn't have a shifter on it, post it in the for trader area and see what comes up.

-
Back