4 sets of heads are better than 1, but which do I use?

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
Hey Y'all I'm putting a 360 together for my dart and just doing basic bolt on upgrades. The problem is that I have four sets of heads all about in the same condition, so which set should I build? Just looking for best bang for buck.

Option 1: casting number 3671587 which says that they are either 73 340 or 73-74 360 or 76 360 heads with 1.88 1.60 valves.
101_0285.jpg

Option 2:casting 2843675 which translates to 1968-74 273/318 heads with 1.78 1.50 valves.
October2011267.jpg

Option 3: 3769974. 1975-76 360 heads with 1.88 1.60 valves.
101_0308.jpg

Option 4: casting 4027596 is for 1980-84 but I've found differing info on these heads on valve size and application. So if someone could help sort through the bull that would be awesome.
101_0304.jpg

So which would you use?

I would use the 587's 360's put larger valves to good use.

Options 1, 3 & 4 are all going to flow about the same. I wouldn't use the 1.78/1.50 heads, option 2, on the 360. The 4027569 heads, option 4, may be drilled for the air injection from the air pump and you would want to plug those holes in the exhaust ports, so I'd go with options 1 or 3.

A lot depends on the build. If it is a mild compression, mild cam, mild rear gear, the 1.88/1.60 valves would be plenty. You said
just doing basic bolt on upgrades.
which is kind of broad.

Are you/have you changed the cam? Rear gear? Converter?
What is the taget of the car/engine?

This isn't a question of valves it is a question of flow/ All things being equal which one flows the best and creates the best compression.

This isn't a question of valves it is a question of flow/ All things being equal which one flows the best and creates the best compression.

Actually, yes it is, it is the whole package of the head working well with the whole package of the engine.

Smaller valves can be better for a build, it all depends on the questions you have not answered.

What is the intended purpose of the car?
Target HP of the build
cam size
converter changed out
etc.....

Also look above, last post.

:banghead: Use 1 or 3, same flow, same compression. Both are dirty but painted different colors. Same size BANG.:banghead:

drty...do you have a set of old or new intake/exhaust gaskets? I have a couple of sets of heads in the garage as well. Got board one day, took my exhaust gasket, matched it up and noticed the ports on my 88 360 heads were bigger than my 70's style heads, one of which has 2.02's in it. I would go with #4. 569's have the air ports. I plugged mine quick drill, tap and plug. While i was in there, ground down the bump on the other side. I practiced on my 318 heads.

looking for a 3769974 casting , are you going to sell them , just need one , but if they're cracked i don't need them , just any idea of there what shape there in ? a bare casting will do for my needs . if there still 1.88 in 1.6 ex seats , don't want to replace the seats . so are you selling any ? pm

I also used the 596 head. I plugged the air injection ports with a few bolts. Ground off the head and I was good to go. I also ported and installed 2.02 valves. These are going on the 408 I'm going to build. They kindof suck at lower rpm because of the low velocity but after about 3000 rpm they take off. That's on my 360. If I was going to use them on a 360 I would have left the stock valve sizes.

been asking the same question of everybody are your 3769974 castings for sale and have they been mag'd for cracks ? it seem that more then one of the menbers aren't will to mag them before any sale . being shipping costed what they are , and to return them just ships them again . i'm willing to pay for the mag tests , just trying to get a good one or pair of castings . i=m currently working out a buy with another member , but it may go south . have not heard back from him . so i'm just covering all ave's . thanks for any response . pm

Uhmmm...

You guys realize that this thread is older than the stains in my underwear....

It's actually older than my underwear....

Uhmmm...

You guys realize that this thread is older than the stains in my underwear....

It's actually older than my underwear....

Oh, LOL, we've dredged up LOT'S of stuff older 'n this...........

they all flow the same , unless the valves are changed , all basicly good heads for the street or mild modified motor . don't get crazy on the cam , keep short on lift , not to much overlap , 450-460 lift @ 260-270 duration @ 0 deg 114-110 lobe centers 114 would better for fuel mileage stock 340 or 360 police cams work well . pm

-
Back