4 speed/ gears and 60 ft

-

Frank Mopar

Reaction score
Here is the car info. 67 Valiant street car/ occasional 1/8 mile drags. 360, 4 speed, 3:91 gears w/lock right, 484 cam, aero recon heads, 600 eddy, exhaust manifolds, mufflers, DOT street slicks.

Here's the issue. I swapped out my 4 speed OD for a regular 4 speed thinking the close ratio would help out my et. Problem is the 2:64 first gear hurts the 60 ft times from 1.89 to 1.95 as opposed to the 3:09 first gear in the OD case. I just barely need to change into 4th before the traps. I think any added benefit from the non OD gets lost in 60 ft because my et is almost the same

I took a tooth off the ring gear Sunday so now I have to put new rear end gears in it. My thought is 4:30 gears and put the OD back in, shift it 3 times and be done with it. I think it would help 60 ft times and let me keep decent street manners.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Wel...............you DO know that some of the 4 speeds were made with a 3X 1st gear

I think you missed my point? The OD gearboxes WERE 3x 1st, so if you found a 3x first gear 4 speed, maybe that would be to your benefit?

I got ya now 67. I guess I should add that I'd like to use what I got to keep the cost down. A penny saved here is one I can spend on other parts. Also keeping the OD Keeps it streetable

I always thought that shifting into OD was a bad idea at the strip. I would gear it so you are in 3rd a ways before you hit the finish line. You want time to make the shift and then gauge your opponent closing on the finish line.

If you only run 1/8 mile and want to improve your 60 ft then you need some information to calculate rear gearing. 1/8 mile trap speed, height of your rear tires, desired RPM at the finish line, 2nd gear ratio, and 3rd gear ratio. I assume 4th is OD.

Subscribed.
I've kinda been curious about the OD trans, thinking on a low powered car (350-400HP) with 4.10's you could race it as a 3 speed, and still be somewhat street friendly with OD 4th. I would think whatever you give up by wider gear spacing would be offset by one less shift.
Not trying to derail your thread.

Subscribed.
I've kinda been curious about the OD trans, thinking on a low powered car (350-400HP) with 4.10's you could race it as a 3 speed, and still be somewhat street friendly with OD 4th. I would think whatever you give up by wider gear spacing would be offset by one less shift.
Not trying to derail your thread.

I did run my OD trans on the 1/8 shifting it twice. I thought rowing through all four would bring a lower et but the higher first gear in the non OD kills the 60 ft time so its basically a wash plus your giving away the street manners. So now I'm going to put 4:30 in the rear and OD back in and we shall see

This has nothing to do with stick cars but I broke my 5.14 gears in my 9 in. ford rear and installed a 3.50 gear out of a Ford truck so I could race and I only lost a tenth in the 1/8 mile and gained 1 mph. I crossed the finish line in 2nd gear. It was like a power glide with over drive for the drive home. But i installed some 4.56's and went faster.

Your 60' problem isn't gearing, it's your chassis or tuning. I pull 1.60, 60' times on reproduction E70-14 bias ply tires that are 6" wide. This is with a 340, 4 speed and 3.91 gearing.

After a conversation in PMs with another member, I thought I should clarify this. I ran horribly inconsistently on the E70-14s (back when I would took the car to the track). But this 60' time is my personal best on those tires.

When you are speed shifting an Inland shifter, anything after 1st gear is a surprise, including finding 2nd.

-
Back